Spirit 2-9-06: Greenie's No-Chunk Review

greenie

The way to party on the Spirit is to attend all of the parties (Sail Away, New Year's- do they even still have that??, Caribbean Night). Those are a very good time. Otherwise, go up to the Lido Deck and lie in a deck chair watching the stars and the light bulbs swinging in the wind. Consume alcohol at this time. Then, go to HENRY'S PUB, REPEAT: HENRY'S PUB. This is where your serious drinkers and conversationalists will be. Going to Galaxy of the Stars at night is not a great idea, although the New Year's party was there and it was crazy. It just isn't set up for mingling properly.

The shows are not great. They weren't when I sailed her last year, anyway. I mean, they were horrible. The stage was set with these styrofoam balls circa 1970's school play... okay! GTG wake up the kids. Enough on the Spirit shows.

Re: the DJ playing songs for the "young people": am I insane or isn't there some disco where all the kids go... in red and white... Club something? Just wondering. I remember it being really nice. Just can't remember if it was the Spirit or the Elation.

But the ol' Galaxy... the feng shui just isn't working up there. The seats- which are wierd anyway- are clustered in groupings that don't make for good mingling. If you move them toward the dance floor you look like an audience for the dancers. Also, anything that happens after Newlywed/Not So Newlywed or any of the other goofy things they have up there takes place with the chairs already arranged in audience fashion. Great for zoning out and observing, bad for... boogeying.

Greenie,

I am so glad to hear your review! I was confused the entire cruise as to whether I was too young (napking folding / bingo / Galaxy Lounge acts / musak) or too old: techno nobody dancing to the music, and it's too late I was ready for bed before it started disco! I like some techno but sheesh...who can dance to that not to mention when it's in the front of the ship and you're rolling around anyway. I thought maybe it was just me and my nearing 40 "I don't know if I'm young or old" attitude!

Caprice

Re: the DJ playing songs for the "young people": am I insane or isn't there some disco where all the kids go... in red and white... Club something? Just wondering. I remember it being really nice. Just can't remember if it was the Spirit or the Elation.

Yes there is a "teen disco" on the SPIRIT, called Celebrity Disco located on deck 13 forward above Galaxy of the Stars.

~Intrepid

• 2 months later...

Great review! Do you have more? When I was on the Spirit in April I peeked into the suites and they were indeed precious gems!

I chuckled at all the DJ comments! If DJ's on ships played true techno songs (European style club music), then everyone would be dancing to them. I think some get hip-hop and rap mixed with the term techno. No matter the cruiseline, I have learned to bring my own CDs to avoid the "I dont have that one" answers! I often have sat in the disco long enough to count the number of people that come in, look and leave right away. Sometimes I think to myself if everyone in the last 20 minutes stayed, then the place would be full.

DJ's are supposed to play a variety of music and are supposed to switch over to various styles...the idea is to have people dance for a bit and then get a drink. Switch music to get those currently drinking out on floor...switch again. I remember one time I bargained with the DJ/bar to stay open longer if I could get people out on the dance floor (and hence drinking more). He gave me ten minutes and I gave him some CD's. We closed up two hours later...

Lastly, when all else fails regarding music, I have found success with a ten or twenty dollar bill.

Coka

Archived