Hypodermic Needles on Planes?

We'll be leaving for Disney in a little over a month and we need to pack some medicine for my 21 month old daughter that requires using hypodermic needles.

At the airport, do you think we will have problems getting the needles on board the plane? The medicine is clearly marked with my daughter's name. But since my daughter is under two (and flies free) her name isn't on the boarding passes.

Any advice would be appreciated. I would assume diabetics, who require insulin, would have the same problem.

We are in the medical field, and always take syringes for meds like Phenegen and antibiotics, and have never had any problem! they are always in our checked bags though! For required meds it would be safer to have in carry-on, in case your checked got lost!

My husband is diabetic and we always carry needles with us in carry-on bag or purse. If it would make you more comfortable, and just in case, have your doctor give you a letter saying that it is necessary for you to have this with you for your daughter. If you put it in checked luggage, it won't be too good if your luggage gets lost or delayed.

Thanks all! Yes I will keep it with me at all times (it's an anti-seizure med), so no doubt it will be in a carry-on.

I attempted to call the airlines to ask them but they are having an "unusually high call volume and cannot speak to anyone who is not flying within 24 hours" :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help!

We had to carry an epi-pen with us for several years. We always took a letter from the doctor but no one ever asked for it. It might be a good idea to ask for a note - just in case.

If you don't get a note then keep the medication in the original package with the original pharm. label.

You can take syringes onto the airplane as long as they are still in their package. When my dad would travel and take syringes for his insulin they would let him take them on as long as they were not open.

You don't have to have syringes still in the packaging. I've flown with syringes out of the packages all the time -- I usually only take the amount I need. Not sure the reason behind the syringes being in a packaging would serve.

You don't have to have syringes still in the packaging. I've flown with syringes out of the packages all the time -- I usually only take the amount I need. Not sure the reason behind the syringes being in a packaging would serve.

Thanks! I was wondering that as well! I really appreciate your response.

You wouldnt want to take them(syringes) out of the individual packs they are in, That is what keeps them sterile. I just place them in my carry on and purse. Once when packed in checked bags someone took them and in Florida the pharmacy would not let me purchase any without seeing a local doc first. Just a note to take more then you think you will need and make sure you have them in your CARRY ON bag. I also take a note from my Doc just in case I would be asked why I have so many with me. Only has happened once on that also and I was glad I had one for it. Most times they dont ask a thing but do really look my bag over as it passes the XRay.

You wouldnt want to take them(syringes) out of the individual packs they are in, That is what keeps them sterile. .

Maybe we're talking about different products... My syringes come in packs of 10, and each syringe has a plastic cap on the needle, so they're sterile out of the pack too. I guess the best advice about this issue is everyone should ask your doctor or pharmacist on what to do about each individual's product.

I travel with insulin and hypodermic needles in my carryon. The airlines aren't directly concerned. The security checkpoint is the main place in the airport where carryon luggage is examined. As a courtesy, I always tell the TSA security agent at the entry point to the X-ray machine that I am carrying hypodermic needles for medical purposes. So far, three or four round trips, that was the end of the story with no additional discussion or carryon inspection other than standard X-ray scanning.

Archived