European cruise coverage

caterpa

Myself, my wife and me three children (22,19,17) are cruising in July.   The kids all still live at home. The two oldest in college but official residence is home still.  We are all traveling together and are booked in 3 cabins on the same July cruise on NCL.  We are all quite healthy. No preexisting conditions.   I am not concerned about needing medical coverage for an illness while overseas. COVID, appendicitis or otherwise. 

I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred card.   

All 5 of us are vaxxed and boosted. 

So my question is……I am only concerned about getting to Europe and testing positive for Covid at some point. We do not need a negative test to fly to Europe.   We will be in Europe for one week traveling prior to our cruise. After the cruise we will remain for 48 hours before returning home. So my only concern is that at some point just prior to flying or just prior to cruising that one of the five of us test positive and will not be allowed to cruise or will not be allowed to return to the US. A couple of us have already had Covid despite being vaccinated. I don’t think either of us will end up testing positive. I am worried about the other three. I paid for the entire trip for all of us. I am very nervous about the delay in return, failure to be able to cruise etc.  

Are there policies that will cover this specifically?  Does my chase sapphire preferred cover this? Do I need additional insurance? If only one of us test positive obviously none of the rest of us are going to want to go on a cruise without that other person. Will we all be covered if only one test positive?  Does NCL issue FCC if We are not allowed to board due to a Covid test? 

I did read a lot of the other threads in here but since I am not at all familiar with travel insurance I’m not sure how to handle this. We have traveled to Europe a number of times in the past, we have traveled and cruised a lot of times in the past but never had insurance. This is because we are healthy but this Covid situation adds wrinkles to be sure.

I can’t say what NCL will do for you because I do not try to keep up with the ever-changing policies of cruise lines. Check their current cancellation and refund policy.

Your Chase Sapphire card will be of little use to you in the case of a positive test that prevents you from flying home. Its provisions cover prepaid nonrefundable costs, which likely will not be a problem once you have disembarked, but it would pay if you test positive prior to embarkation. It will also pay for change fees; however,  the delay provision covers only common carrier delays - not covid. That means you would have no coverage for an extended stay while you wait to be cleared to fly home. Remember it also caps benefits per trip. Will $20,000 cover all five of you for cancellation?

You will be best served by buying a comprehensive travel policy with the most coverage you can find for trip delay. That will pay for hotel and meals, but you may not find one that will cover the entire cost because the benefits are capped. The dollar amounts you see in the schedule of benefits is per person per day with a cap for each covered person. 

Since you are all members of the same household traveling together, you can insure with one policy. If one tests positive, all are covered. Get a doctor’s confirmation of the diagnosis before you file a claim for reimbursement. 

Since you are new to travel insurance, consider consulting a broker like tripinsurancestore.com. It does not cost any more to buy from them. Express the concerns you have laid out here, and let them walk you through the process. They can even advise on filing a claim if that becomes necessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1