august what is weather and crowd like

troubles

Since you are cruising before almost any college or public school starts, yes, it is still a busy family time.

Weather - HOT! You are cruising in August, the ports will mostly be at their maximum temperature.

Also please note, you are cruising during prime hurricane season, so make sure to moniter the tropics the few weeks before, and also, BUY TRIP INSURANCE! Every year we hear about people who'se missed the ship or had plans disrupted for whatever reason due to a hurricane, and they complain because they cant get a refund because they didn't have insurance!

In August the crowd is hot and angry, and cruisin' for a bruisin'; fights over lounge chairs and shuffle board are de rigeur, and the crew often has to get out a fire hose to stop the rioting; if they didn't put ground horse tranquelizers (Tasty!) in most of the food, it would really get out of hand.

The best Cruise Director I have ever seen, Jeffrey Arpin on the Sov. of the Seas, gave a perfect description in his welcome aboard talk on a cruise we took in late July once.

He said folks, it is summer, you are in the Caribbean, you are on the water, and you are probably going to be at the beach. He said its HOT, its HOT, its AFRICA HOT! If this is a surprise to you, don't get off the ship! But I don't want to hear any complaints.

We thought that was hilarious, and have never forgotten it. We still use the term to describe summer weather here in Houston.

I like the Caribbean in the summer. With the exception of a possible hurricane, there are some great advantages- Warmer water and fewer ships in port. I could, of course, do without the humidity. The islands are less crowded with tourists. I wish there were more ships left for sailing during the Caribbean summers. But obviously, not too many people will agree with me.

We thought that was hilarious, and have never forgotten it. We still use the term to describe summer weather here in Houston.

Oh how I miss those long hot summer days of my childhood in houston. I say this from my cold perch in New York!

Oh and I also miss those killer thunderstorms. My husband is a chicken when it thunders here and I always say he needs to hear Texas thunder and feel it rock the house!

I will also be on this cruise. (Hi troubles) Just how hot and humid is it? Is it worse than Orlando in August, the same, or better?:rolleyes:

Cage, You wont be missing the weather in Orlando at all. It will be the same. At least when the ship is moving at night you will have a strong breeze, unless its putt putting between the BVI's, USVI and San Juan. Or making very short hops to the next port. Ive been in the Caribbean in Oct and its been 105 degrees even then.

What itinerary are you going on? Eastern or Western? I would be more concerned about the weather if I was going on the Western Caribbean cruise. Expect the sea to be rough. We were on the Caribbean Princess this past September for the week of labor day and we were rocking and rolling. Very rough water. DH swore off cruising during hurricane season from now on because of it. The ship was tipping up on the Bow 10-12 feet and then down 10-12 feet which meant the aft went up and down that much as well. Not very fun. We prefer Jan-Feb because of that, but the earlier poster is right, the water is not all that warm, especially at Coco Cay. It was too cold to even get in last week! brrr...

I've done both winter and summer cruising....too hot in early Sept when we went Western. Cozumel was totally oppressive with heat 105 and humidity had to be 99 percent! LOL

I don't mind the cooler water in the winter. I am from New England where 72 is about as warm as the water gets here. I find it refreshing! LOL I was just in Coco Cay the last week in January where I snorkeled for over an hour. The water was fine. :) It's subjective I guess.

I cruised last August and admittedly we got lucky with the weather and missing hurricanes but it was awesome. You won't feel very hot or humid while on the pool deck. Walking around the different stops it got a little warm but nothing a few cocktails can't take care of :D The ocean was very calm too. We had a few nights where the waves were 8 to 10 and the ship barely moved. Big ships are great. ;)

Remember the sun's rays are so much more intense than in Florida, even Miami. Even if you are tan, I would use at least a 15 spf on your face and nose and a 8 on the rest. If you do not tan well, 30spf plus all week. The decks were always cool with the breeze. My kids and friends kids went with us last Aug. 5yr old,6,7,and 9 no complaints from them. They swam the whole time.

scoop

About trip insurance, be careful. My sister and her husband had booked the cruise out of Galveston leaving Sept. 21, of 2005. That is the week that hurricane Rita came ashore, and the ship wasn't able to make it in until two days late. They had trip insurance, but the insurance didn't cover hurricanes, the reason being, the cruise line gave letters of credit for the value they had spend for the cruise. They were not able to get their money back, the only thing they could do was book another cruise to take the place of the one they lost. By the way, we were on the same cruise. It didn't make any difference to us because we live close to Galveston, we just rebooked. But they live in Denver, and it was quite a drive for them to come all the way to Texas.

I didn't mean that I liked Orlando in August, I just meat we could tolorate it. It's even more humid than Philly (where we grew up). In CT here the humity is not so bad. I figured if we could stand Orlando in August, and some of this is tent campng with no air cond.,I was hoping the Carribean wouldn't be any worse. 95 in Orlando is much worse than 115 in Las Vegas.:eek:

And the sunscreen thing, I fry. Will be packing the highest SPF.:D

Oh, this is Eastern Carribean

Archived