Monarch Questions for May cruise

Hello folks!!!

Couple questions before making reservations for May cruise on the Monarch.

1) this will be first cruise on the Pacific side, ive been on 3 caribbean cruises. Generally speaking, are the seas rougher under normal conditions or about the same?

2) do we need a passport if the cruise takes us to Mexico? (i know...its best to get one but the question is... do you NEED one?) :-)

3) anyone know typical weather in may down in the mexican baja area? looking at 5/8 sailing.

any help would be great!!!

thanks!

Michael & Nikki,

I think you'll really like the Monarch. She's smaller and a bit older than most of the ships in the RCI fleet, but really a beauty. I was on the 4-nighter in December, when the waters should be much choppier than in May. We felt some movement on the sail back to San Pedro but, nothing otherwise. Frankly, you're really just sailing up and down a fairly short distance. When I lived in Orange County, about an hour south of LA, we could drive to Ensenada in 4 or 5 hours.

I'm booked on the May 1st Monarch cruise, and I'm expecting nice weather and smooth seas.

I heard that they were extending the passport requirement for Mexico, to 2007. The advantage in having a passport comes at disembarkation. The Customs line is waaaaay shorter for the Passports line than those with just a birth certificate. That, alone, is a good reason to have a passport.

If you decide to book the May 1st cruise, instead, join us over on the Roll Call thread. I'm starting to think that only a couple of us are going ... Have fun!

LadyLawyer is correct in saying that the best advantage to having a passport is the disembarkation line.

The Monarch is an older ship, but not necessarily that much smaller. She carries quite a few passengers and is, for the most part, always full.

Her crew is one of the happiest on RCCl as they have the ability to get off in the American ports every week, and shop and call home almost every day if they wish.

My DW and I are headed for the Monarch Friday, March 3rd, and if anyone has questions, fire away, and when we return we will be happy to answer them.

Rick

Hello folks!!!

Couple questions before making reservations for May cruise on the Monarch.

1) this will be first cruise on the Pacific side, ive been on 3 caribbean cruises. Generally speaking, are the seas rougher under normal conditions or about the same?

2) do we need a passport if the cruise takes us to Mexico? (i know...its best to get one but the question is... do you NEED one?) :-)

3) anyone know typical weather in may down in the mexican baja area? looking at 5/8 sailing.

any help would be great!!!

thanks!

I can speak to question #2. We were on the Monarch in February with a group of 18, 6 of which did not have passports. As ladylawyer stated, they had to wait in line a little longer at customs, but they had no problem with not having a passport.

annatomie, so glad you had a great first cruise! I also really appreciate your comments about Deck 9's SOs. After seeing the cabins on 8, I was a little concerned that my parents would not be happy with their cabin. The photos and description of the cabins on 9, however, looked like the cabins we were used to on the Radiance and Vision, so I took a chance and booked one. It's our gift to them, and their first cruise, so I really wanted to make sure they have as nice of a time as possible. Although I'm not worried about the cruise (having done it so recently), you have reassured me about the cabin. Thanks, so much!

Archived