Seasickness

Cruiser-66

We are planning to take the ferry from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen. I've heard the water can be rough, and people are advised to take necessary precautions. I've never had any problems on the ship, but I'm a little concerned about this ferry ride. What could I take for a day trip that would not have many side effects? I don't want to take something that makes me tired and not enjoy my day.

The ferry ride was rough when we were there last March. As long as you stay on Cozumel, and don't plan an excursion on the mainland you should be fine. Unfortunately, many of the places on Cozumel that I would recommend visiting have not yet re-opened after Hurricane Wilma.

We have taken this ferry ride numerous times and you have cause to be concerned about seasickness. It results from the combination of strong diesil fumes from the ferry and ocean's movement.

The Cozumel side can be perfectly calm and a couple miles out the ocean can get very rough for a a ferry sized boat.

We have spend a lot of time on the ocean; cruising, fishing and scuba diving and prefer using ginger tablets to prevent motion sickness. They are proven effective and do not have any side effects.

We are planning to take the ferry from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen. I've heard the water can be rough, and people are advised to take necessary precautions. I've never had any problems on the ship, but I'm a little concerned about this ferry ride. What could I take for a day trip that would not have many side effects? I don't want to take something that makes me tired and not enjoy my day.

We took that ferry ride last Dec and it was rough. If you go down to the guest relations desk and ask for some seasick pills, they will give them to you. On board the ferry if it is rough they will tell you not to look out at the sea and to put pressure on your wrist which will help with the nausea should it occur.

Do you mean that you rely on Dramamine to get through the day? HAve you tried Bonine, and, if so, do you find dramamine to work better?

I am concerned because I get motion sick easily and I am trying A transatlantic cruise, so I want to be fully prepared with the most effective medication.

Thanks,

Dorie

Do you mean that you rely on Dramamine to get through the day? HAve you tried Bonine, and, if so, do you find dramamine to work better?

Thanks,

Dorie

No, I've never tried Bonine. They are both in the same type of drug class, basically both antihistamines.

I am one of those people who get car sick if I am sitting in the back of the car. So when I cruise, I have to take Dramamine for the first day or two until I get my "sea legs". ;)

The only time I start to notice the movement is when I am standing in line or walking down a hallway, that gets me a little sick. But I would be worse if I didn't take the meds.

Thanks for all the advice! I'm convinced that I need something. If I take Bonice how far in advance of this tour do I need to take it? Can we still have a drink or two in Cancun if were on this? I came close to getting sick once on a ferry ride from St.Thomas to St.John, and many people were sick so I know it can happen! Thanks again for everyone's help!

Bonine and others like it works in about 30 minutes. And lasts about 4-6 hours. So you might want to take it an hour before you leave. You might have to redose before you come back.

And as far as having a drink....you could, but it would increase the effects of the drowsiness. I would just play it by ear. Take the meds, see how you feel, if you don't feel drowsy at all, then you could add a drink or two. Just be careful not to overdo it.

Archived