Cruising out of Galveston flying into Hobby the day before. Where do we stay?

JSR

We are flying into Hobby the day before or poss. 2 days before since many flights are sold out and this very last minute.

Do we stay in Houston and just take a limo to the ship on the day it sails. Or go down to Galveston when we arrive and stay there.

We are a family of 3.

What is there to do in Galveston. What hotel would you recomend. Comfort is more important then price.

Thanks,

Jean

(JSR, just saw your other post about the March cruise--no Christmas lights for you!!) JSR, having lived in both Galveston and Houston, I'd say head down to Galveston from Hobby--that is still a 25 mile trip. You don't want to chance a nail-biter the day of the cruise! Galveston has its economic and social problems, but also several things to see and do. I was there last Christmas and enjoyed the Aquarium and the night-time outdoor Lights at Moody Gardens and a short stroll on "The Strand" near the pier (you can see the ships from the street). If you don't have a car, the problem would be that most of the hotels/motels are along the seawall on the south edge of the island with Moody Gardens (and its Hotel) on the west end, and the pier on the northern side. (I'm presuming this is for the 12/18/06 cruise). You might be happier renting a car, either a one-way at Hobby (it is a straight shot to Galveston down the Gulf Fwy.),or locally in Galveston if it's cheaper. My three-day rental at Houston's other airport (IAH) was only $85.(Alamo) total, but I returned it to the same location as rented. Your drop-off might be high since there is no airport in Galveston anymore. The web can tell you what's best.

Have a great time!

JSR, another thought on your March cruise--it may be a Spring Break zoo on Galveston when you are there. So, another alternative would be to rent a car, but stay in the Clear Lake/Webster area (home to NASA) just off the Gulf Fwy. about half way to Galveston. That's where I stayed last Christmas. There are several "suite" places, and even a nice Hilton right on the water. There is a tour of the Johnson Space Center and also the Armand Bayou Nature Center. Look for addresses on Bay Area Blvd.or NASA Road One when searching the Web.

Hope this helps.

Louis

DW and I have gone on several cruises out of Galveston. If price doesn't matter, there are 2 hotels within blocks of the pier(Harbor house and Tremont house. I believe they will take you to the pier if you ask. They run from $150-200 per night.

As the previous poster said there are several hotels along the beach. Many of them have shuttles that will take you and your luggae to the pier. Be sure and ask before you book the room.

We usually stay at Gaido's. they have wonderful seafood restaurant. They don't have a shuttle though.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the cruise and you time in Galveston.

I found a great deal at the Casa Del Mar Beachfront Suites, at 6102 Seawall Boulevard in Galveston, 800 392 1205. We're traveling with our two teenagers, and we got a one bedroom suite with a double bed plus two bunks, and a small kitchenette, for $99. Our cruise is in August.

I found this rate on a website, which escapes me right now...it was a far better rate than I could have gotten directly from the hotel. If you'd like me to find that website, let me know and I'll go search it out.

I'm leaving for a Windstar cruise in Costa Rica, so if you post in response after Thursday, don't think I'm ignoring you -- I'm just off cruisin'! :)

LeeAnne

If you really want to stay someplace nice, try the Hotel Galvez. This is now a Wyndham Hotel. It was built in 1911 and is right across the street from the ocean. Rooms may be a little more expensive, but well worth it. I think someone mentioned Guidos Restaurant. This is a must while in Galveston. Do not miss it. The food is tremendous. Good luck.:) :) :)

We've flown into Houston Hobby and cruised from Galveston several times. Hobby is the closest airport to the Port of Galveston. Sometimes we stay in Galveston and sometimes in Houston. Hotel rates in Galveston tend to fluxuate rather dramatically - Good rates during some dates - overly expensive during others.

We've stayed at the Best Western on Seawall Boulevard a few times. It was a good value at about $60 a night. Tried to book it another time and passed at the $140 a night they were asking. We've heard good things about the Hotel Galvez but it will probably be pricey. We did stay at the Tremont House last year and had a series really bad experiences.

If you do go to Galveston, we also recommend Moody Gardens. It is a series of three pyramids. The first houses the visitors center, an IMAX theater and tropical rain forest. The second is a world-class aquarium and the third is the discover pyramid. Price is about $31 for a day pass which includes the IMAX and a paddleboat ride on the lake. Plan on spending the whole day there.

As, we implied, Galveston hotel prices are event driven so during Mardi Gras or spring break expect to pay a premium. During these times we usually opt to stay in Houston. Usually at the Hobby Hilton hotel which has shuttle service from the airport. Then we catch a cab to the port the morning of the sailing. About $85 for up to four people.

Either plan is a good one. If you've never been to Galveston, it is an interesting place to visit. But, then Houston also has a lot to offer.

Archived