Murrays Guide Skagway timing

Myscruf

WE are God willing leaving on RCCL out of Seattle on Monday. I have rented a car from Avis in Skagway and using Murrays heading up inot Yukon. My question is realistically how far can I get. We are planning to do the Pioneer cemetery for a bit. I would like to get to emerald lake before turning back. Is this doable? we don't care about the suspension bridge. Really want to take in the vistas. Any help suggestions ETC that could add some help would be greatly appreciated.

Without knowing how long you will be in Skagway it is hard to say. But we have done it twice- to Emerald Lake. Once we drove, once with Dyer Dave. We used Murray’s guide. If it starts seeming to long- turn around and go back. Watch for bears along the highway munching on dandelions. 

Edited by 5waldos

I also don't know the length of your port call, but I suspect it won't be an issue.  And  I am also assuming your intention is to visit the cemetery on the outskirts of Skagway and not the "slide" cemetery located on the road to Dyea.  But just a quick comment -- as someone who has seen Emerald Lake several times I don't find it that interesting.

I've done this drive several times and would plan on 5-6 hours to get as far as Emerald Lake. Its really just a quick stop, Carcross is a nice little place to wander around. Lots of scenic spots to stop at along the drive, I would suggest getting an early start at 8am to beat the tour busses to all  the stops. Don't fiorget your passport and that you need to register on the ArriveCan web site. I would visit the cemetery on the way back,  you want to beat everyone out of town. Caribou Crossing  is not much either, and all teh tours stop there so can be crowded