New York port shuttles

gsmt47471015

We went about 3 years ago on Aurora and I don't remember there being any shuttles to anywhere.  We docked very close to where there is a concorde and walked our little feet off!

When we went we berthed in Manhattan near Hell's Kitchen - easy access to the city.  As Waju said, loads of walking but no shuttle - just walk off and explore!!!!  But not far to Central Park, we walked the High Line, to the Rockefeller, Bryant Park - further than that perhaps the Subway or HoHo would be an idea.  

(Check where you are due to berth though - our friends went to NY twice and were berthed in Brooklyn which isn't so convenient.  I think they were on QE or QM.  Manhattan is much better imo) 

Thank you Waju and kruzseeka ,where the ship docks will be the important part as we are expecting to do a show on one of the nights ( under our own steam). We assumed the dock would be around Battery Park at the bottom end of Manhattan, however your information would indicate otherwise. We will try and find out from P and O where the expected dock will be , may have to wait some time for a reply though !!!!!

• Like 1

Fingers crossed it is where we docked - we've been twice with P&O and had an overnight in N.Y. and were berthed in the same place on both occasions so fingers crossed it will be the same for you.  We did an  excursion on our first visit - a tour of the city on the first morning to familiarise us a little with what we wanted to go back to explore (we did that as I think we thought excursions would be allowed off first to get through immigration which can be lengthy so we'd win a bit of time) . Apart from that we did a ship's trip in the evenings, once to the Cotton Club and the other over Brooklyn Bridge to see the illuminated Manhattan Skyline.  Apart from that we walked everywhere.  Exhausting but a fab experience.  I wasn't overly excited about going to N.Y. - I thought it would be interesting but was surprised by the impression it made and we really enjoyed our second visit. 

Great idea to do a show - 42nd Street and Times Square aren't far from the berth we used - so good luck with the berthing arrangements - and enjoy N.Y. 

I've just looked up the N.Y. cruise ship schedule and Arcadia is down to berth in Manhattan on 22.09.22  Is that your sailing?  In which case looks as though you are in luck! 👍

https://www.nycruise.com/schedule/

Yes - just keep your fingers crossed that you don't get "bumped" from the Manhattan Terminal.

A few years ago on Aurora, we were supposed to dock there but we got bumped and ended up docking at the Cunard Terminal over on the Brooklyn side of the East River. No shuttles provided and we were a ferry ride away from downtown Manhattan at Pier 11.

Not very convenient for independent exploring as you were restricted by the ferry schedules (not all ferries called at the Cunard Terminal dock.)

The Manhattan berth is better. If you look on Google Maps or similar, it’s a couple of berths north of the aircraft carrier museum. Probably about a 15 min walk to Times Square. 

Edited by Ranchi
  • Like 1

P &O normally use The Manhattan terminal unlike Cunard that use Brooklyn, we were there in 2018 pier 88, no shuttle, 10 - 15 min walk to Time Square. Not aware of a risk of being bumped, Arcadia is currently scheduled for Manhattan 22nd Sept, We choose to use the Big Bus HOHO from Times Square.

5 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

Fingers crossed it is where we docked - we've been twice with P&O and had an overnight in N.Y. and were berthed in the same place on both occasions so fingers crossed it will be the same for you.  We did an  excursion on our first visit - a tour of the city on the first morning to familiarise us a little with what we wanted to go back to explore (we did that as I think we thought excursions would be allowed off first to get through immigration which can be lengthy so we'd win a bit of time) . Apart from that we did a ship's trip in the evenings, once to the Cotton Club and the other over Brooklyn Bridge to see the illuminated Manhattan Skyline.  Apart from that we walked everywhere.  Exhausting but a fab experience.  I wasn't overly excited about going to N.Y. - I thought it would be interesting but was surprised by the impression it made and we really enjoyed our second visit. 

Great idea to do a show - 42nd Street and Times Square aren't far from the berth we used - so good luck with the berthing arrangements - and enjoy N.Y. 

I've just looked up the N.Y. cruise ship schedule and Arcadia is down to berth in Manhattan on 22.09.22  Is that your sailing?  In which case looks as though you are in luck! 👍

https://www.nycruise.com/schedule/

Yes that is our sailing , we have two elderly guests who travel with us a lot and for the  two of us mobility and walking hold no fears but obviously they are in their early eighties and although are in pretty good shape they will not be able to walk along with us but still want to see a Broadway show with us .They will do a ships tour to see the sights but we will need to be sure we can get transport from the terminal to the theatre ( and back) as it will be too much walking for them, hence the question of docking location. our only concern is that when we had this exact trip booked prior to been cancelled because of covid  our dock suddenly became unavailable and we only would have had two days in NYC, so although it was fortunately cancelled if the same were to happen again it would cause us a problem