Live from the Getaway June 5-14, Baltic

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Happycrafter123 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

We are embarking on our first cruise today and I’ve loved reading the live trip reports here the past few months.  I’ll share some of the experience and happy for any questions for others heading out soon.

We are two Canadians in late 40’s/mid 50’s and most of our vacations have been to all inclusive resorts in Caribbean so this European Baltic cruise is an experiment with something different.

this morning we came to the port by train and bus.  The journey was faster than expected and took about an hour.  We got here at 8:40, with a 9 am scheduled check in.  We dropped our luggage but have been told to wait till 10 for check in, despite our stated check in time.

lets see what today holds!

DEDFAD92-1C22-4084-A24F-5C1302338542.jpeg

• Like 3

Have a great time.  I was on the Getaway a few weeks ago for its move from Southampton to Copenhagen and will be joining it after your cruise for the transatlantic.  Can I ask if you could keep an eye out to see if there are any comedians on board.  There were none on my last trip.

• Like 1

@argyll1881yes I enjoyed your posts!

I’ll watch out for comedians.

check in was smooth, despite a lag between assigned check in time and actual check in.  Got to port at 8:40 and check in started at about 10.  We were asked to share our vaccine certificates, covid test results (which we got at Copenhagen airport) and passports the. Went through security scan and check in.   As we had upgraded room via a bid it took a while for them to print our room cards.  Boarded at 10:40.

show schedule posted in pic attached.

starting off with a drink— veuve clicquot and some water.  Beautiful day out with the sun shining.

for those interested, in addition to regular beer choices such as bud, etc they also had local Carlsberg which is a nice treat.

5771E7BA-D6BF-4312-8D12-238B64633BC8.jpeg

07C7099C-62D2-4FE9-97B8-6F1C10E47BD5.jpeg

1373F687-0121-4528-8364-F9E1235E1A8E.jpeg

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!  Excited to tag along on your journey!  We are on her at the end of September for a 9 night out of Port Canaveral.

I assume you opted to upgrade your beverage package?  Would love to know availability of the wines you can have.

I'm a little surprised (well with COVID not really) that on a 9 night that Million Dollar Quartet only has 2 shows.  The ship must be no where near full.

• Like 1

@gatorchinskywine seems hit or miss based on location.

dinner at Cagneys we had an excellent sommelier and he was able to recommend wine we quite enjoyed. He made it a fun experience to discuss and sample the wine.  It was the highlight of the evening.

Attached is wine list from Cagneys

the bar at h2o was subpar for both wine and also spirits selection.  Mostly geared to the bear and frozen blender drink crowd.  Worst old fashioned I’ve had in a long time. 

Atrium bar had veuve clicquot as well as very professional service too.

5FA5AE8A-8468-4938-8810-11AB96CAD652.jpeg

E39713D1-4008-4C16-ACA4-876D6E5E8F4F.jpeg

DF7D7E96-3473-4E3A-8D6D-9B33FD4CA167.jpeg

454B380F-A7A7-414B-A29E-900068CD65E9.jpeg

6E3574FD-38FA-4A42-8D0F-75275D1D76ED.jpeg

• Like 1

Ncl excursion - Schwerin and it’s fairytale castle

this was an awesome day trip.  We left at 9 and were back at 3.  It was an hour drive to Schwerin which is the capital of the region.  Interestingly, this area was part of East Germany which I had not realized.  The tour driver spent the travel time to tell us about growing up in the communst era and then what it was like during the transition .  We also learnt about the wind and solar power projects and agriculture of the region. 
In Schwerin we toured the castle and then the old town. The castle built in the mid 1800s has quite a bit of history and the ties between Russia and this area of Germany were also interesting.

i would highly recommend this tour for both old and new history as well as the other educational components.  It is also charming and scenic.

there were lots of bathroom breaks and a one hour break during which some folks visited the church but we grabbed a snack at a traditional cafe

918366D4-A264-4AEA-9487-75E1D4B173B6.jpeg

2B98A7CD-F517-4266-8A35-3BEE9C3A313F.jpeg

ED85123D-3520-4601-A316-F751A79A989E.jpeg

F7A711C5-C0F4-498D-A2B5-E7F48BD9211C.jpeg

B170C705-BBE3-4F5A-908A-65E5E7F3E5C2.jpeg

E51E3F74-C04E-4B3A-9CAD-8C0D3D8313F0.jpeg

• Like 2

great pics from schwerin, thanks.

hope you were in Warnemünde and at the beach there too .

i love warnemünde.

here you can see the ship, the webcam is going in  a 360 degree around ( so sometimes you don´t see the ship )

webcam to the beach

https://www.hotel-neptun.de/hotel/webcam/

Edited by Steff79
  • Like 1

It seems on some youtube videos that there is "bar" seating at some of the premium restaurants like Cagney's and Ocean Blue. Can you eat dinner at the bar, and are they open (unreserved) seating? Thanks

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 9:08 PM, Happycrafter123 said:

@gatorchinskywine seems hit or miss based on location.

dinner at Cagneys we had an excellent sommelier and he was able to recommend wine we quite enjoyed. He made it a fun experience to discuss and sample the wine.  It was the highlight of the evening.

Attached is wine list from Cagneys

the bar at h2o was subpar for both wine and also spirits selection.  Mostly geared to the bear and frozen blender drink crowd.  Worst old fashioned I’ve had in a long time. 

Atrium bar had veuve clicquot as well as very professional service too.

5FA5AE8A-8468-4938-8810-11AB96CAD652.jpeg

E39713D1-4008-4C16-ACA4-876D6E5E8F4F.jpeg

DF7D7E96-3473-4E3A-8D6D-9B33FD4CA167.jpeg

454B380F-A7A7-414B-A29E-900068CD65E9.jpeg

6E3574FD-38FA-4A42-8D0F-75275D1D76ED.jpeg

That's different.  When I was on the ship a few weeks ago the wine list was on an iPad.

At sea day and dinner at Teppanyaki

i found it a bit of a slow day, we had the cruise critic meet and greet at 11 which was nice, fun to meet other guests and hear from the officers and crew.  They advise we have about 1600 guests and 1500 crew. 

went for a wine tasting at le bistro.  There was a charge for this but only $22 pp less any discount from dining package,  it was about an hour and both educational and fun.  We had a competition with guessing the wines in the black glasses and our two groups had a good time getting to know each other too.  The two ladies facilitating it really seemed to know their stuff and made it interactive and enjoyable.  The highlight of my day.  I do recommend this.

after that went to the thermal spa and then had a nap…. Oh the joys of cruise life lol!

dinner at teppanyaki was disappointing.  As usual, amazing wonderful service from the staff, they do pamper us so much, but the food was bland, not authentic, and the seafood not fresh.  We eat a lot of tepanyaki and it usually is influenced with ginger, sesame, green onions, rice vinegar etc which were not present.  they used lemon juice and butter so very very Americanized.  Miso soup was very watered down, perhaps they are economizing on the miso paste?  Not impressive.  More traditional deserts would be green tea ice cream or mango pudding, in this case the green tea cake was nasty and very sweet.  However other folks at the table did seem to enjoy the food, so it would depend on what you are used to.

went to the burn the floor show.  Left half way through.  No clear plot or story line.  

all in all, not a bad day, but excited for a shore day on Tallin tomorrow.

Don't think they will be keen on eating at the bar near Cagnies.

Ocean blue the bar area is raw bar and near is sushi.

Never busy, I think if you wanted to eat off the ocean blue menu at the bar you could. 

Not a lot space for the sides we usually do raw bar a couple of times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happycrafter123 said:

@FranHIthe restaurants, apart from tepanyaki tonight, have not been busy so I expect you could get in easily.  However I have not seen bar dining.  I will inquire tomorrow.

Thanks, it's just that 3 weeks ahead of my cruise, there isn't any reservation availability. Is that because some spaces are held  back for when people are actually on the ship?

Tallin- the best of medieval Tallin tour through NCL

good tour.  We left at 845 and returned at 2:45

they drove us close to the top of the old upper village then Walked down to the lower village.  Walking tour was interesting with history of the different regimes the country has endured.

it was interesting to hear about the city’s past as a member of the merchant hanseatic league and the role of the merchant groups and traditional  power during prior times despite political ownership of the country 

we went into the Russian Orthodox Church, as well as another more simple Estonian church.  Enjoyed a 20 minute concert of medieval music featuring a lute, fiddle and hurdy gurdy.  Lunch was included in the square and about 45 minutes for self exploration.  At the end of the day we took a drive to look at residential areas and the song grounds, and learned about the economy and lifestyles. 

i would also recommend this tour.

2FE8AC69-C47E-49D1-877D-9F9D2C7FCE73.jpeg

1664DB32-606B-4A4C-BBB7-FEE28DED8023.jpeg

3415306B-A773-4A79-8B6E-B613CD133D47.jpeg

455F91A4-F082-4FDC-A2D7-11D6D04CB806.jpeg

1E5FC308-4ACD-44FB-B077-A5DF4D0AD95B.jpeg

2560443D-E41D-48FE-92B5-9142E16EF765.jpeg

• Like 1