Holland America in Reykjavik

Hello,

We will be on the Nieuw Statendam that has an overnight port stop in Reykjavik in July. We have a private tour booked for the first day but wondering what our transportation options for visiting the city of Reykjavik on Day 2. Specifically does Holland America provide shuttles into the city? If so would these be complimentary or fee based? If not what would our other options be? Public transport? Taxi availability? 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Rochelle

Hi Rochelle, we are on a similar cruise in June ...

There is HOPP - E-Scooter Company (if you like)

https://hopp.bike/

Then public transport is available:

https://visitreykjavik.is/public-transportation

http://www.publictransport.is/

Maybe you would try to rent a bike?

https://icelandbike.com/bicyclerental_reykjavik.html

The Nieuw Statendam is at Sundahöfn / Skarfabakki- one part of the port. (New Port)

There is a tourist office at the port.

From Skarfabakki it is a 45-60 Minutes walk into town

There should also be a shuttle bus that takes you downtown in 5 minutes operated from the pier and easy to pickup as you dock (sometimes the shuttle is free by the cruise ship but normally there is a single fee 800 ISK). You also have the options of a finding a public bus for 460 ISK bus no. 16. Finally there are plenty of taxis waiting at the port. Small taxi is about 2.500 ISK for 4 pax.

• Thanks 1

We were on the Zuiderdam for the 2019 Voyage of the Vikings and did an overnight stop in Reykjavik.  We did a private  Golden Circle tour that included a stop at the Fontana Geothermal Spa at Laugervatn.  On Day 2 we started with the Hop on Hop off bus tour.  However, once we got into the center of the city, there was so much to see, we caught a taxi back to the ship.  My suggestion would be to take a taxi into the center of the city, stroll, shop and eat and take a taxi back to ship.  Hopefully, you will have nice weather.   

• 3 weeks later...

We were just there 2 weeks ago on celebrity Apex also for an overnight .    There was a 1) shuttle provided by the city bit allowed close to the ship, 2) hop on hop of which had to wait just a little further away from the ship or 3) taxi which lines up close to the ship as well.    Roughly taxi was $20 one way (1 -4 people), shuttle was $20 round trip but pp.   So for a couple it was about the same pice.   We took taxi and it worked well, ask driver where taxis tend to park for the return .   Our 2nd day was a short day with the departure time of 2 pm, so going downtown was a great way to spend the morning and more relaxing than an excursion.   

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, CCJack said:

We took taxi and it worked well, ask driver where taxis tend to park for the return .

What was your driver's answer? I'm not on this sailing, but my Golden Circle tour has an option to drop off "downtown" instead of at the port if you want to spend extra time there after the tour. I'd like to do that, but if it's difficult to get a return ride, then maybe not. We're 3 people, so a taxi sounds way more cost-effective than the shuttle!

1 hour ago, thehowlingroad said:

What was your driver's answer? I'm not on this sailing, but my Golden Circle tour has an option to drop off "downtown" instead of at the port if you want to spend extra time there after the tour. I'd like to do that, but if it's difficult to get a return ride, then maybe not. We're 3 people, so a taxi sounds way more cost-effective than the shuttle!

There is a 1 square block city park (with lawn and statues) at the corner of Heverfisgata and Laekjargata.   The driver said that taxis like to circle the park.  The taxi stand is on Heverfisgata just East of Laekjargata.  The park is across the street from a H and M store.   If you get in a pinch the shuttle picks up at Harpa concert hall which is only 2 blocks from this park. 

We loved our  golden circle tour but it was a full day.  Not sure I would be up for downtown after that excursion.   Downtown Reykjavik is very nice but I am not sure it is a don't miss sight.   There are a lot of high end winter wear stores... .   If you are in the market for s $1000+ winter coat, it is the place to be. 

• Thanks 1