Emancipation Day & Black Bay Beach

TenForward

Just found out our full day in Bermuda on July 28 is a national holiday and apparently a huge cricket match.  Anyone know if *everything* closes down?  We were planning on doing Crystal Caves and then hitting the nearby beaches after.   Also wondering if anyone is familiar with Black Bay Beach?  It looks to be just outside the Dockyard (a bit beyond Dockyard Beach).  Pictures I've seen look nice and thought we might hit there on our last day so we'd be close by.  

1 hour ago, TenForward said:

Too late to edit my post but I see Crystal Caves is open that day. Hoping most other places are as well.  Would still appreciate any info on Black Bay (or other decent beach close to the Dockyard). TIA

Stores will be closed but restaurants and museums, the Caves etc. will be open. The ferry operates on a normal schedule. Buses though run on a limited holiday schedule. Taxis charge a 25-50% surcharge. Black Bay beach I think is the sea glass beach.  If you want to look at the sea glass, you can't take any, that would be the only reason to go there, to look. It just looks like a bunch of trash. I don't think it looks very nice. If you are going to the Caves I would combine that with Tobacco Bay or Clearwater. Since Emancipation Day is a back to back holiday that makes for a four day weekend the beaches are going to be crowded. Horseshoe which is the best beach from the Dockyard will probably be very crowded.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

My sister was there two weeks ago and said there wasn't very much glass there. We went once by rental boat and it was loaded. I think they have stopped dumping trash in that area.  Other than that not a real great spot

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Stores will be closed but restaurants and museums, the Caves etc. will be open. The ferry operates on a normal schedule. Buses though run on a limited holiday schedule. Taxis charge a 25-50% surcharge. Black Bay beach I think is the sea glass beach.  If you want to look at the sea glass, you can't take any, that would be the only reason to go there, to look. It just looks like a bunch of trash. I don't think it looks very nice. If you are going to the Caves I would combine that with Tobacco Bay or Clearwater. Since Emancipation Day is a back to back holiday that makes for a four day weekend the beaches are going to be crowded. Horseshoe which is the best beach from the Dockyard will probably be very crowded.

Thank you Charles. I neglected to even think about the Bus schedule so I'm glad you pointed that out (taxis too). I have since learned the few articles I found online about Black Beach were actually showing pictures of Horseshoe Bay, lol.  I did see 1 or 2 with the sea glass and that does not interest us.  I have been to Horseshoe years ago but we'll likely hit that one again as our friends have never been.   We did Tobacco Bay last 2 times we were there and are planning on Clearwater following the Caves.  Looking forward to it all!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2022 at 1:06 PM, TenForward said:

Thank you Charles. I neglected to even think about the Bus schedule so I'm glad you pointed that out (taxis too). I have since learned the few articles I found online about Black Beach were actually showing pictures of Horseshoe Bay, lol.  I did see 1 or 2 with the sea glass and that does not interest us.  I have been to Horseshoe years ago but we'll likely hit that one again as our friends have never been.   We did Tobacco Bay last 2 times we were there and are planning on Clearwater following the Caves.  Looking forward to it all!

We will be there the same week on the Summit.. how are u getting to clearwater? By taxi?

13 minutes ago, ARI421 said:

We will be there the same week on the Summit.. how are u getting to clearwater? By taxi?

That's our plan.  Free NCL Ferry to St. George's.  Taxi to Crystal Caves, then taxi to Clearwater.  Not sure on the return yet but hopefully just a taxi back to St. George's for the ferry back to port.