Depth Measurement

mikey_mc

All,

Can anyone tell me how you measure the depth on a cruise ship, I come from a shipping background and know the depth of a merchant ship to mean the measurement from the keel to the weatherdeck. But is this the same for Cruise ships?

thanks

Are you asking about draft (plimsol line to keel plate)?

Height is usually waterline to top of topmast, I believe.

Perhaps as confusing as difference between DWT, GRT, & displacement tonnage.

Thanks for your quick reply but im afraid to say im not talking about the draft that measuremt is actually the distance between the waterline and the keel.

Dont take this the wrong way but you mention height as being waterline to the top of mast in the shipping industry that is known as the Air draft.

Indeed Dwt, Grt and Displacement tonnage can be confusing if you would like definitions I would be more than happy to post them.

My point exactly.

There is a definite lack of standardized terms and definitions.

I know the difference between DWT, GRT, etc., but many are terribly confused. Not unlike the difference between US Army's and US Navy's definition of caliber - totally different! Army is size of bore - Navy is length of tube (barrel), hence terms like 5"/38, with 5" representing bore and 38 representing length of barrel.

And displacement can have two different values - in the Navy, normal and wartime!

There are some commerical ships in the Reserve Fleet, then there are USNS ships, owned by the Navy, but crewed by civilians, and there are still some USS ships, which if reactivated, are crewed by Navy personnel.

They periodically "cull" the Reserve Fleet, and send the discards off to the scrappers.

My stepson was in the regular Navy during 1st Gulf War, and in-theater on a nuke cruiser, USS Texas. In current Gulf War, was recalled to active duty, and served ex- theater on a USNS ship, as Naval Gun Party, on civilian manned replenishment ship.

Archived