Documentation of Recovery to board

nolyd

Looking for advice/reassurance. I'm booked on the Zuiderdam for an Alaskan cruise on 7/13. I tested positive for COVID last week and I know chances are, although I'm sympton free and no longer contagious, I may still test positive when I take the required preboarding COVID test. I did find this info on HAL's website:

"Guests who have recovered from COVID-19 within three months of their embarkation, do not need to get a viral test before embarkation if they are at least 10 days past their COVID-19 infection, have no symptoms and produce documentation of recovery from COVID-19 infection. 

Documentation of Recovery consists of the following: 

• Paper or electronic copies of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days ago), or 
  • A valid digital COVID-19 certificate (DCC) or a document issued by an official health or government authority showing confirmed previous infection. 

Guests who present these documents will need to go through a secondary screening at the terminal and boarding will be approved at the medical staff’s discretion. If guests are not able to obtain documentation of recovery that fulfills the above requirements, they will need to take the required COVID-19 viral test and show a negative result."

Could anyone share their experience of needing to provide Documentation of Recovery rather than a negative COVID test?

Edited by nolyd

You will need proof of your positive PCR test that is 11 t0 90 days from sail date.

You need your recovery letter (CVS did mine which is where I had my original PCR test)

I had these items.  The health questionnaire ask if you have been in contact with anyone in the last 14 days. Since I myself had it in the last 14  I replied yes and was then given a number to call to reschedule my trip. 

I called and explained I met the 11 day time frame and had my recovery letter.  (I also had a medically tested negative 48 hours prior to sail date but they seemed more concerned with the other two items)

They said I needed to bring the two items to the pier and the decision would be made there.  I live in Florida and cruise left out of Seattle.  I took the leap and was allowed on.

• Thanks 2

On 7/1/2022 at 5:04 PM, Seanat said:

You will need proof of your positive PCR test that is 11 t0 90 days from sail date.

You need your recovery letter (CVS did mine which is where I had my original PCR test)

I had these items.  The health questionnaire ask if you have been in contact with anyone in the last 14 days. Since I myself had it in the last 14  I replied yes and was then given a number to call to reschedule my trip. 

I called and explained I met the 11 day time frame and had my recovery letter.  (I also had a medically tested negative 48 hours prior to sail date but they seemed more concerned with the other two items)

They said I needed to bring the two items to the pier and the decision would be made there.  I live in Florida and cruise left out of Seattle.  I took the leap and was allowed on.

So to clarify, you did NOT need the 48-hour-prior-to-sail negative test to board, just the letter of recovery and the positive test result, correct?  Seems to me the whole point of Ltr and Pos. test result is that if we are tested within 90 days of having had covid, we could test positive but actually be "over covid with no symptoms", etc.  Did they take your temp. or anything like that at secondary screening?

No they just required the letter and positive test.  I had determined for myself I would not travel unless I had a negative test. They did not take any tempature however once again I would not be traveling if I had a fever.

72 hours prior I did my Arrivcan I knew I could answer all questions honestly without a flag.  I wanted that out of the way because I knew I would fail the health questionnaire. 

48 hours prior I did the health questionnaire and then called the number.  I advised the representative that I had a positive test result 11 days and a recovery letter.  She then said she would email the ship and get back to me.  I did have one other thing going for me and that is I was traveling solo.  If you are traveling with someone you may get a different answer from them. They got back to me that afternoon.

At the port she looked for my test result and letter I did let her know on top of all that I had a negative test but it is not something they asked to see.

• Like 1

Not sure I understand what "letter" was required other than the documented positive test that is 11 to 90 days old.  Can you clarify please?

Also wondering if the test could have been either PCR or antigen - as long as it was monitored.  Hmmm, perhaps that depends on the cruise location? Thanks.

You need a letter of recovery.  I received mine from CVS doctor after they examined me. As posted in original post it say viral test from labatory , mine was a PCR test also from CVS, the cruise line might be able to clarify the test needed.

Read the first post carefully with the quote from the HAL site. Please note that you need the positive test OR the letter of recovery.  Not both.  (I travelled previously on Princess and at that time I needed both for Princess.  They have changed to 'OR' as well.)