Malaga tours

I hit enter too soon to ask about Malaga tours.  Specifically, has anyone done a tour from Malaga to Gibraltar and return?  I won't be in port of Malaga until the fall of 2023 so can't look  at ship tours yet.  I'll be on a TA from Barcelona to Tampa on the Brilliance.  We'll pass Gibraltar at night which will be the second time I've done that.  I'd really like to visit Gibraltar and have notice private 6 hour tours from Malaga but just wonder if any experienced cruisers have gone on one of them.

There are stax of cheap coach day-trips to Gib from the Costa Del Sol resorts. 

For example https://juliatravel.com/en/products/Gibraltar-Sightseeing-Full-Day-Tour-from-Costa-del-Sol/

Probably from Malaga too.

But the timings don't usually work out for a Malaga cruise port of call- they leave the Malaga area around 7.30am and get back 6.30pm or probably later.

The private tour that you mentioned ..................

is it truly a private tour or a shared tour?

Important - If a shared tour, is it specifically for those on your ship?

Either way, it's likely to cost waaay more than a coach excursion, but probably viable for a RollCall group of 6+

Or you could rent a car - the route is very simple, and if there's two of you finding a couple to join you via your RollCall would halve the cost.

Things to bear in mind.....

- It's about 2 hours each-way.

- There are frequently long lines of cars at the border. I don't know whether a private tour gets preference, but certainly if you rent a car it's best to use a carpark near the border and cross by foot - very quick procedure for those on foot. Then a local bus (just a euro or two) from the frontier to the town (Casemates Square).

- A local taxi or van for an Upper Rock tour (I don't think private cars are permitted) takes just under 2 hours (no need to pre-book), your remaining time in the town then back to the border, collect your car, & back to Malaga.

- If your next port-of-call is Tampa you won't want to miss the sailing cos it's a very very very long swim, so give yourselves plenty of wiggle-time.

- There are several car rental agencies in walking distance of Malaga port.

- You'll need your passports, and possibly some Covid paperwork

- do check whether the private tour drives you thro the border

Some background info on Gib in these threads

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=Gibraltar &quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=149

JB 🙂