Help me to understand this ...

I want to lose aprrox 25lbs... SOOOOO i have cut my caloires to sensible choices whole grains, fruits veggies and low fat products. i am eating 4-6 small healthy meals a day and do not eat after dinner, except for maybe a whole fruit popsicle.

I exercise 4-5 days per week... switching between the eliptical and readmill at my gym , both for 30 min of cardio. Then 4-5 days of weight training.

okay..... It has been 5 weeks and I have only lost 3lbs on the scale and I want to cry because I feel I am failing and don'r know what is wrong. I have never had a weight problem, but my last baby killed me (DD is 19 months)

However, my husband is doing about the same thing ... only less yet he has lost 11lbs. (former bodybuilder)

My clothes seem to fit better and I definately can feel my body changing. Will I suddenly "melt" or what?

Somone please explain this to me so I don't get discouraged any more than I am.

Hello! I'm going through the same thing you are. However, I'm 41 so my age has something to do with it. Anyway, I think that when you exercise and change your WOE, you lose inches before you actually lose weight. I've only lost around 5 lbs since the first of January, yet I've lost a whole size in my pants. Did you happen to measure before you began? I bet you've lost a lot of inches! Don't give up!! I think you'll drop the pounds eventually, but the inches are coming off first. Good luck!

I want to lose aprrox 25lbs... SOOOOO i have cut my caloires to sensible choices whole grains, fruits veggies and low fat products. i am eating 4-6 small healthy meals a day and do not eat after dinner, except for maybe a whole fruit popsicle.

I exercise 4-5 days per week... switching between the eliptical and readmill at my gym , both for 30 min of cardio. Then 4-5 days of weight training.

okay..... It has been 5 weeks and I have only lost 3lbs on the scale and I want to cry because I feel I am failing and don'r know what is wrong. I have never had a weight problem, but my last baby killed me (DD is 19 months)

However, my husband is doing about the same thing ... only less yet he has lost 11lbs. (former bodybuilder)

My clothes seem to fit better and I definately can feel my body changing. Will I suddenly "melt" or what?

Somone please explain this to me so I don't get discouraged any more than I am.

First, congratulations. Second, let me say a few things:

1. If your clothes are fitting better, you're on the right track. You may have gained a 3 pounds of muscle but lost 6 pounds of fat. The scale only shows a three pound difference, but you've made a much bigger progression. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat so if you gain a pound of muscle and lose a pound of fat, your body will be smaller. Also, for every pound of muscle you gain, you will lose 50 more calories per day.

2. Rember, to lose one pound, you have to have a calorie deficit of 3500 (from either diet, exercise or both). Your best bet is to check how many calories you need to maintain your weight. Do a google search for websites that you can use to determine this. Then, adjust your diet and exercise to ensure a calorie deficit each day. A deficit of 500 calories a day and you will lose one pound per week.

3. Everybody is different. Some people lose more quickly than others. However, if you keep consistent, you will reach your goal. If you want to put specifics (e.g., your weight, what you eat, etc.), I will try to give you a better answer.

Good luck.

Biffman.... thank you for all the great info! That makes so much more sense to me.I knew the thing about calorie deficit;3500 calories = 1lb and all but I just figured it was purely physics... more calories burned than consumed would automaticallu equal immediate weight loss!

However, what you said makes a lot of sense and makes me feel a lot better about results. :D :D Thanks!

Biffman.... thank you for all the great info! That makes so much more sense to me.I knew the thing about calorie deficit;3500 calories = 1lb and all but I just figured it was purely physics... more calories burned than consumed would automaticallu equal immediate weight loss!

However, what you said makes a lot of sense and makes me feel a lot better about results. :D :D Thanks!

You got it. You're obviously very dedicated and I'm sure your results are fantastic. WeirdEyes' suggestion to measure is a good one. Also, if you have a digital camera, take a photo of yourself. Take photos every couple of weeks. You'll see a big difference. You probably don't notice it, because you see yourself every day. The photos will show what you might not notice.

Remember, you're getting the best of both worlds- your gaining muscle AND losing fat at the same time! Just keep consistent and you will accomplish your goals. Every day I tell myself, "it's a marathon, not a sprint."

First, congratulations. Second, let me say a few things:

1. If your clothes are fitting better, you're on the right track. You may have gained a 3 pounds of muscle but lost 6 pounds of fat. The scale only shows a three pound difference, but you've made a much bigger progression. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat so if you gain a pound of muscle and lose a pound of fat, your body will be smaller. Also, for every pound of muscle you gain, you will lose 50 more calories per day.

2. Rember, to lose one pound, you have to have a calorie deficit of 3500 (from either diet, exercise or both). Your best bet is to check how many calories you need to maintain your weight. Do a google search for websites that you can use to determine this. Then, adjust your diet and exercise to ensure a calorie deficit each day. A deficit of 500 calories a day and you will lose one pound per week.

3. Everybody is different. Some people lose more quickly than others. However, if you keep consistent, you will reach your goal. If you want to put specifics (e.g., your weight, what you eat, etc.), I will try to give you a better answer.

Good luck.

WOW! Shelia is right! THat is a great post! I just love these threads!!:D

biffman ~ I found some pictures of me not too long ago when I was at my highest weight. It really made me realize how much weight I'd lost. Another good suggestion. I hope you stick around here because we can use all of your knowledge.

desperate -

i think everyone that has posted has great ideas that will help you along the way to your goal - i use almost all of them myself! one other thing that i do, though, is once i feel that my clothes are starting to fit better i go looking for sales at my favourite stores and pick up a pair of pants or a skirt or whatever that is a size smaller than i would normally buy for myself. i don't try it on at the store, but bring it home and then try it on a couple of weeks later - you'd be amazed how quickly that smaller size is the right size for you! the key is to maintain your routine (as mentioned before) so that you have muscle (which is greater in mass) rather than fat, but you are much more trim than you were before!

good luck to you - and if you feel that you have hit a rough spot or need some support, we'll be here for you!:D

jocey

Hi, pretty new to the boards, dh and I are going on a cruise 4-22 and ALL I want to do is lose 10 lb. you wouldnt think that would be that tough but it is. I am 52, having hormone changes and every muscle has turned to flab. I cant stand to look at myself even much less think about putting on shorts or a swim suit. Ugh. I was doing ok until 3 years ago when I got sick with Epstein Barr virus (chronic fatigue), then I had rotator cuff surgery and it just went downhill from there. The virus comes and goes, but the weight stays. Any hints, I know I need to burn more calories but I feel ok with what I am eating. Part of me wants to just stop eating but that is not the answer either. We even tried the nutrisystem food, it was horrible. Ugh sending it back. Anyway, will keep an eye on the boards and hope for encouraging words! Barb

Weirdeyes....

I am sorry thank you too... and no I did not measure first and now I regret that choice. I did not want the "ugly" truth at the time!!:eek:

If you didn't weigh and measure at the beginning, do it now! :)

I work at a women's exercise club and try to encourage our members to weigh and measure. Some don't want, as you said, to know the ugly truth but if you don't know where you started how do you know how far you've come?

Archived