Liberty Med. - Jet Lag?

auburn77

We are flying to Rome(from Atlanta) the day of the cruise(air through Carnival). Did anyone else that did this have much trouble with jet lag? If so, do you have any advice(except for leaving a day or two early-we can't)? I would hate to sleep through the next day at Naples.

Also, did Carnival get you to the ship early or very close to sailing time?

The jet lag is tough. I would call carnival and add on the pre-stay. So many that came in the day of the cruise didn't get their luggage for 4or5 days it was awful for the. We came in early through Carnival and had a great two days in Rome to recover and sight see before the cruise.

You could try a homopathic medicine called "no jet-lag" http://www.nojetlag.com/ DH and I used it when we flew from the east coast to Hawaii. I "think" it helped!:rolleyes:

Also, try to sleep on the plane and stay up on the cruise until a "normal" bedtime when you leave port. Don't get on the ship and sleep hours and expect to function the next day.

Oh, which departure are you on? Check out the roll-call page.

The jet lag is tough. I would call carnival and add on the pre-stay. So many that came in the day of the cruise didn't get their luggage for 4or5 days it was awful for the. We came in early through Carnival and had a great two days in Rome to recover and sight see before the cruise.

I wish that we could, but it is not an option. My wife can't take off one day longer. She is stretching it already.

You could try a homopathic medicine called "no jet-lag" http://www.nojetlag.com/ DH and I used it when we flew from the east coast to Hawaii. I "think" it helped!:rolleyes:

Also, try to sleep on the plane and stay up on the cruise until a "normal" bedtime when you leave port. Don't get on the ship and sleep hours and expect to function the next day.

Oh, which departure are you on? Check out the roll-call page.

Thanks for the advice. I have heard of "no jet lag", but didn't know anyone whom tried it.

We are on the 05-19-06.

Hi,

I was on this with my 81 year old mother cruise in October. We flew in the day of the cruise. We arranged our air and transfers through Carnival. My embarkation picture has a clock in the background that reads 10:37. Yes, that's AM!

We were not able to get to the room until 1PM. However, we had lunch and relaxed. We got to the room at 1PM and took a short nap. Got up, showered and felt brand new. Was up for Sailaway and suffered from no jet lag at all.

Hope this helps.

Anna:)

The best way to beat jet lag, and not have your "internal clock" all screwy is to stay up.

it may be midnight by your eastern time zone body clock, but 9am in Rome.... stay up. Maybe a short nap in the afternoon, but don't go to bed and sleep 8 hours, until it's really night again where you're at.

5 trips to Europe and back over 7 years..... this really is the best way to adjust.

I wish that we could, but it is not an option. My wife can't take off one day longer. She is stretching it already.

I could not take the extra day either, since we were staying 3 days post cruise. We made our own flight arrangements from Miami via Milan arrived in Rome at 10:30 am 9/30/05. No lost luggage, we used RomeCabs for our transportation to the pier.

I agree with other posts, try to sleep on the plane & DO NOT go to bed until normal bed time. Next day in Naples, we did the ship tour Capri/Sorrento/Pompeii. It was a long day - and none of us fell asleep. ;) Don't worry about it - the excitement will also help keep you awake! :p

Have a great trip:D

The best way to beat jet lag, and not have your "internal clock" all screwy is to stay up.

it may be midnight by your eastern time zone body clock, but 9am in Rome.... stay up. Maybe a short nap in the afternoon, but don't go to bed and sleep 8 hours, until it's really night again where you're at.

5 trips to Europe and back over 7 years..... this really is the best way to adjust.

26 trips to Europe and back and the quote above is so true...

Also a few more tips...

When it is light out side stay awake...

Drink plenty of water the first few days as flying is very dehydrating.

When you get tired..eat something and get exercise out in the sun.

set your watch to the new time as you get on the airplane and try to avoid thinking about what time it is at home.

If you wake up in the middle of the night don't turn the light on or watch tv. Lay there in the dark..

Coffee can help especially at about 4 or 5 pm.

Keep active and if you do take a nap leave a wake-up call.

:o

depends on if you can sleep or not sleep on flight, if you got a 9pm flgiht coming over, try to be very sleepy going to plane, you will need a nap once you get onto ship to take edge off, 1st night they dont have any shows anyway, just a small talk late in afternoon prior to sailing...

We did that last year. Left Denver on Wednesday at 5:00 pm went to Frankfurt 9 1/2 hours with a SCREAMING BABY, got -0- sleep got in about 11:00 am. Then had 2 hours to Rome. Boarded a bus and went straight to the ship. Arrived in the last group to port (made the embark easier). We grabbed bite to eat, did the Muster and went to bed. We did get up about 3:00 am and ate some pizza, went back to bed and Naples/Sorrento and Pompai the next day. We did use that hom-e-pathic stuff, it might have helped. Remember to push the water during the flight.

I think we were so pumped for the trip that the jet lag was a second thought. You will have time to recover has you cruise to Deubrovnick after your stop in Naples.

Have fun, it was the cruise of a lifetime for us.:)

Cruise Elf is right. When you board the plane in Atlanta, set your watch to Rome time - and start thinking like it's that time (even do this several hours or a day earlier if you can). If it's night (in Rome), try to sleep. Once you're there stay up and force your body to convert... it's the only way.

Archived