Hilo for a day

bellacarmella

First let me say these boards are a life saver. Thanks in advance for any help.

We are on the Pride of America Easter week. Our first stop in in Hilo. We already booked the Fire and Falls Helecopter tour for 11:30 am. That will pretty much take up until 1:00 or so. We will have a good chunk of the afternoon - ship leaves at7:00pm. What would you advise doing. The Volcano's Nat. Park or the Black Sand Beach? Or any other suggestions. I would guess we should rent a car also.

I am in the process of planing Maui, be back with more questions.

Is there any way you can book your helicopter tour earlier? IMO, that timing really breaks up the day in regards to other activities.

With your current schedule, you could then take a rental car to VNP. Assuming you leave about 1:30, you'd be there around 2:15 to 2:30. You need an absolute minimum of 3 hours to see VNP, and at least 1-1/2 hours more to drive down Chain of Craters Road to the lava beds. I assume that your all aboard is 6:30. You'd need to be returning your rental car by 6:00, and would have to leave VNP by 5:15 at the latest. (Driving times are average and do not include construction, accidents, traffic, etc.).

So, you'd have no more than 2-1/2 hours at the park. IMO (stressing again, JMHO and DH's), that is not enough time to truly do it justice.

That said, if this will be your one and only trip to Hawaii or the BI, then I absolutely recommend that you go to VNP for as long as your time allows because it is an awe-inspiring sight and amazing.

If you plan on returning some other time when you would have more time to devote to VNP, then you might want to consider driving to Punalu'u (the black sand beach). Even though Punalu'u is further from Hilo than VNP, you could go straight there and spend some time. (Word of warning: No matter how tempting do not take any black sand from the beach--that is taboo, or kapu in Hawaiian, and Madam Pele does not look favorably on it.)

If you go to Punalu'u, you could also stop at Volcanoes winery, the macadamia nut place in Hilo (or the chocolate shop, sorry can't remember the name; maybe Island Candies?), or Tsunami Park. There are also waterfalls (although I always maintain that there are waterfalls on all the islands, but only one VNP).

If you wanted to go even further, you could drive all the way down to South Point, which is the furthest point south in the US (at least so far). We did it last trip and thought it was fun--but it is in one word, WINDY.

If I had to choose one thing, it would be VNP. I do realize that you will have had a helicopter tour over it, but as incredible as that is, it's not the same as actually going to the park. Plus, there is soooo much more to VNP then just where the lava is flowing (if it's flowing).

Do rent a car first thing in the morning so that you are ready to take off right after your helicopter ride. No matter which activities you choose for your afternoon, this would give you the most time to do them.

Finally, you can't go wrong with whatever you decide. The BI is pretty amazing.

beachchick

Archived