Best time to do the Alaskan cruise

hallebelle

You don't have much of a choice. Alaska cruises only run from the very end of April to the late part of September. Otherwise you'd be enjoying plowing through ice and 20 hours of darkness on your cruise. The best weather time is, predictably, June and July.

Beautiful, Breathtaking, Once in a Lifetime!!!! We went in September and the weather was perfect; even in Ketchikan where they say it rains more than in Seattle... Sunny/Mild days, slightly chilly evenings... My favortite excursion was a Float Plane/Bear Lodge Adventure booked through the cruiseline. Of course, I've learned since then and could've saved 30-60% booking it myself!

I'd love to cruise Alaska again someday.... :)

Alaska was my favorite cruise (until we did Hawaii). We went in May and it was still rainy and chilly. I have heard that July is the best month to do Alaska.

Make sure you get a balcony-nothing like sitting out on your balcony and listening and seeing a glacier up close.

What is the best time of year to do the Alaskan cruise? What did you think of it? Excursion ideas?

DH and I did the Southbound Inside Passage at the end of June-early July. It was wonderful. Only regret was that we didn't take the train to Fairbanks and Denali National Park. My favorite excursion was taking the helicopter up to a glacier, landing and walking around. Unbelieveable!!!! This was in Juneau. In Skagway we did the Whitepass Railroad. It followed the trail used by the miners in '49. Lots of history there. Had beautiful weather every day, even in Ketchikan as OP stated. All in all it was, I think, our favorite cruise. Although I've loved ALL;) of them. Go and find the real meaning of 'fresh air'. It's invigorating!

Hope you love as it good as we did.

Luv's Crusin'

We did the 1 week land (Denali) & 1 week cruise with Princess at the end of June.

Perfect weather, Lots of sunshine LOL, in fact you could book a tee time for golf at midnight.

This is the most wonderful cruise experience IMHO.

We did the Spirit on July 6th (Southbound). We flew into Anchorage a week ahead of time and rented a car and made a big loop.

We spent the night in Denali, Fairbanks, Glenallen and Anchorage (2 nights).

It was great fun but the east side of the loop was really a waste until we got to Mile Marker 102 (outside of Palmer). There is a wonderful place there where you drive your car up to a glacier and you can walk a good ways on it without the special ice gear. It cost us about $30.00 total for all 4 of us. You can hire a guide and ice gear and actually climb up etc etc etc, but with our special needs child this was not an option. He was however able to walk a good ways onto the glacier. It was really an experience.

My next Alaskan adventure will be to cruise from Hawaii to Alaska and sail with the whales.

The 'best' time of year depends on what is important to you. May and September cost a lot less than June, July, August.

June and July typically have the best weather and the highest rates.

We went one year and loved it so much we went three years in a row.

I agree that Alaska is the place to get a balcony. But if you can't, try to get a window so you can see what you're passing and know when to run to an outside deck to watch.

We did the Cruise-Tour with Princess about 8 years ago. We were there on July 4th and it was 80 degrees in Fairbanks. We saw very few animals because of the heat. It was still a great tour but next time(?) we will opt for May or September. The cruise from Seward to Vancouver was great including all the ports and glacier bay.

Did the northbound glacier tour last summer last few days of June first few of July - weather was awesome. I was told by crew members that this week through the 3rd week of July were the best weather time. More wild flowers a little earlier, salmon and caribou later, and of course fall leaves even later - but bring your down parka! That said, imho, there's no bad time for a cruise to Alaska (or anywhere else, for that matter!) We'd do it again in a heartbeat - if we could afford it!

We have lived in Anchorage for 19 years now. The best weather is from June 1 to July 15. The month of May is typically very sunny - but still a bit cool. After July 15th it can be very rainy. If you had to pick the absolute best chance of good weather I would pick the last week of June and first week of July. However, this is Alaska - so it can rain any time!

Archived