Celebrity is really going off the deep end with it's "no discounting" policy

greatam

Travelocity has been running a promotion in conjunction with Mastercard. $500.00 credited back to your card 6-8 weeks AFTER you complete the cruise.

I had gotten all the way through the booking screens to book Mercury, Dec. 8, Panama Canal, Sky Suite. Was ready to input my credit card number. At the bottom of the screen, big yellow notice that I got a Kodak EasyShare digital camera with my cruise. To be sent out after April 1. No info about $500.00 Mastercard rebate.

I called Citibank this morning and they confirmed that the promotion is MC/Travelocity, with the cruiselines only saying yea or nay to lend their names to the promotion. Celebrity/RCCL said NAY. Only cruise line.

Since this is NOT cruiseline discounting, rather a promo with MC/Travelocity, I feel Celebrity/ RCCL has really gone over the top this time. I love Celebrity, but if I can't get my $500.00 back through MC, guess they just told me to take my money elsewhere.

The rebate is from Travelocity, not MC. The cruiseline has nothing to do with the promotion.

The digital camera is MC.

MC has all sorts of different promotions running with different cruiselines.

Travelocity is also difficult to get that rebate from in the best of times. And do not think they are crediting you card. Oh no, this will come to you in gift cards unless the policy has changed. Don't be surprised if they don't arrive at your door in 6-8 weeks after sailing. You may have to make some calls for them. I did and after they determined I was "eligible" (*$#@#*)I eventually received them. What a nightmare. They are part of the reason I am now in this business so I guess I should be thankful.

If I knew how to do it, I would post the instant message I got from Citibank through my business account.

They state it is a MC/Travelocity co-promotion, to encourage more MC use. Since cruises are usually large ticket items, more interest for MC. And since it is a rebate (verified by Citibank) on your credit card, 6 weeks AFTER you take the cruise, how can that even be considered cruiseline discounting? Too bad Celebrity/RCCL did not want to play.

Now to find another cruise-I guess Cunard will get my money.

If I knew how to do it, I would post the instant message I got from Citibank through my business account.

They state it is a MC/Travelocity co-promotion, to encourage more MC use. Since cruises are usually large ticket items, more interest for MC. And since it is a rebate (verified by Citibank) on your credit card, 6 weeks AFTER you take the cruise, how can that even be considered cruiseline discounting? Too bad Celebrity/RCCL did not want to play.

Now to find another cruise-I guess Cunard will get my money.

It is discounting. Travelocity is rebating commission earned on your booking, back to your MC after you sail.

Cruiselines don't rebate commissions, travel agencies do.

Here's an example: Cruise only portion $1811 x2 = 3622 x 16% = 579.52 commission earned by agency. It is the 579.52 which is rebated.

Yes, MC has all sorts of promotions to promote the use of MC. We've had several promotions as well.. and with other cards, too.

Agencies cannot discount up front. And really what Travelocity is doing is not adhering to the cruiselines rules on the face of it. But there are ways they can get around the rules. Which still defies the cry of "leveling" the playing field.

Wait.. I thought you were already booked on the QE2???

QM2 or QE2???

I received a Travelocity "rebate" after our last cruise .... a $250 Target gift card, which arrived approx. 6 weeks after our last cruise ... and I didn't have to call to remind them.

I noticed the MC rebate that is now being offered through Travelocity -but it clearly states that it applies only to "qualifying cruises". It also says that Feb. 28 is the last day.

Here's an example: Cruise only portion $1811 x2 = 3622 x 16% = 579.52 commission earned by agency. It is the 579.52 which is rebated.

But with the Travelocity offer, in order to get $500 back, your cruise would have to cost $8000. as per:

http://leisure.travelocity.com/Promotions/0,,TRAVELOCITY|3173|crzs_terms,00.html

What about AAA Visa Cards, issued by MBNA, where a $40 coupon is mailed to you whenever $5,000 is charged to your Visa card? These coupons are good for any AAA service, and can be used to pay for part of a cruise. Since these coupons come from MBNA credit company, am I correct in assuming that they have nothing to do with the travel agent's commission.

What about AAA Visa Cards, issued by MBNA, where a $40 coupon is mailed to you whenever $5,000 is charged to your Visa card? These coupons are good for any AAA service, and can be used to pay for part of a cruise. Since these coupons come from MBNA credit company, am I correct in assuming that they have nothing to do with the travel agent's commission.

You are correct in your assumption.

But with the Travelocity offer, in order to get $500 back, your cruise would have to cost $8000. as per:

http://leisure.travelocity.com/Promotions/0,,TRAVELOCITY|3173|crzs_terms,00.html

Yes, I know.. I just used those figures as an example.

Based on 8000 x 16% = 1280.........so a $500 rebate would be a little over 6% based on cruise only rate of 8000.

It is discounting. Travelocity is rebating commission earned on your booking, back to your MC after you sail.

Cruiselines don't rebate commissions, travel agencies do.

Wait.. I thought you were already booked on the QE2???

QM2 or QE2???

The whole thing still doesn't make any sense. I understand about the travel agency commission, but Citibank still states it is a CO-promotion, which would mean 1/2 the rebate is coming out of Citibanks pocket.

I am booked QE2-January Transatlantic to FLL.

I really was looking to go through the Canal sometime in the late fall, after our Xmas rush and before the grapes out of South America get started big time.

Suggestions???

I noticed the MC rebate that is now being offered through Travelocity -but it clearly states that it applies only to "qualifying cruises". It also says that Feb. 28 is the last day.

I was ready to complete the online booking on Feb. 27, so well within the time frame. It was then I noticed I got a digital camera, NOT $500.00.

I was ready to complete the online booking on Feb. 27, so well within the time frame. It was then I noticed I got a digital camera, NOT $500.00.

I didn't mean to imply that you were past the deadline, but rather that it was possible to determine whether or not the rebate applied to the cruise that you were interested in while browsing the available cruises.

In your OP you mention that you went through the whole booking process, up to the point of providing your CC info, before realizing that the credit was not available. I think what happens is that people look at the bold print advertising that jumps off the screen, but not at the fine print. When I first looked at this offer, I thought that if I used my MC on any cruise booked with Travelocity that I would get the rebate.... but then read the terms, and noticed that only certain cruises had the M/C rebate symbol.

The fine print said "qualifying cruises". But it does not say which cruises qualify. And when I started the online booking, I started it from the MC rebate booking information page.

After the call to Citibank, I was informed that of the mainstream cruiselines, it was ONLY Celebrity/RCCL that did not participate. (I wish I knew how to post the IM I received from Citibank). That they did not participate is what I think is over the top. Rebate AFTER you take the cruise, which does NOT reduce the "advertised" cruise price (so well within "discounting" rules).

Oh well, as I stated, if Celebrity does not want my money, I am sure another curise line will take it. Now to find that cruise???

Oh well, as I stated, if Celebrity does not want my money, I am sure another curise line will take it. Now to find that cruise???

But what if the cruise that you really had your heart set on was with Celebrity.... is it worth taking a cruise that interests you less? According to the rebate list, you would have qualified for $300 based on total cruise price, if Celebrity had participated in this program.

An agency in a nearby town was advertising a 17 day cruise on Millie, which included a 2 night stay in Barcelona hotel,FREE air, FREE bus from Miami at end of cruise, for just $1299 ppdc.

Except, the Millie was not repositioning on that date (it was the Century), and there was no way whatsover not even in lowest inside cabin could you get all that for $1299.

Apparently for that travel agency Truth in Advertising does not exist. I sent the whole ad to my own TA and she could not explain any part of it, as for the 17 days well that included the time you spent flying to Barcelona!

If an agent is willing to accept a smaller commision and give me a "gift" of $50 or $100 as a "thank you," it should not matter to Celebrity since they are getting their cost anyway.

INow if only they reduced that "single occupancy " charge.

Archived