Fort Lauderdale/Miami Car Rental Tips?

We are flying into Fort Lauderdale for our upcoming cruise and spending the night at the Marriott Biscayne Bay then leaving out of Port of Miami the next morning. Any pointers on transportation bewteen these points for the best price? We were thinking of renting a car at Fort Lauderdale airport and returning it somewhere near the port the next day rather than taking a cab to save money...any tips/advice? (BTW...there are four of us).

I must admit I'm not 100% sure which companies might let you drop the car off near the cruise terminal. I did find this link: http://www.thrifty.com/local/index.aspx?LocationCode=PM4&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

(I'm sure someone else will chime in.)

That said, we've rented cars a couple of times in FLL and it's worked out to be a great deal for 4 of us. Mind you, we picked up in FLL for a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale and it was MUCH cheaper than the transfers one way to the pier - let alone both ways. [Anyone thinking of this, note that they do check your rental contract when you board the shuttle bus, so have it handy.]

I just flew into FLL and tried to get a rental to go to MIA - no car rental at the port so you will have to return at the airport. Not worth it. A cab from FLL to MIA is $50 and from where you are staying to the port not very much. Upon the return there are shuttle buses from the car rental office at the airport that will shuttle you to the pier so maybe that is an option as well. We rented a car when we got back and hung out at the beach for a few days and returned it to FLL airport prior to departure.:)

First sign up on Alamo's web sight they send you discounts on a weekly basis, Fort Lauderdale has a beautiful new car rental building right in the airport which you can walk to or one in your party can go and pick it up. If you book online and prepay on line they give you a 15% discount. You can actually check in online and don't even have to go to the counter. You just jump in a car of your catigory and show your licence and credit card to the guy at the gate. It is easy to return at the Miami airport car return as well and they have a shuttle to take you to the cruise terminal for free !

Have a great cruise

Brian J

Hmmmmm...this car rental thing sounds a bit oo complicated since we're staying the night at a hotel and will have to pay parking overnight as well. Anyone know what a cab costs from Fort Lauderdale airport to the downtown hotels? And from the downtown hotels to thr Port of Miami? And from the Port of Miami to the Fort Lauderdale airport? (Just got a limo quote of $96 each way for the 4 of us!)

Archived