Family travel in non-connecting cabins

dibri'e

I will be cruising with my husband and 11 and 13 yr.old dgtrs. We found out from our travel agent told that there are no more available connecting cabins left for our cruise date. He suggested two cabins that are across the hall from one another. How inconvenient is this?

Thank you!

Not inconvenient at all. Actually with 2 girls that extra bathroom will be a godsend for you!!!!! :) Our 3 daughters (11,10&9 at the time) were across the hall from us on our first cruise and again on our upcomming cruise. Just ask for extra keys when you check in.

Just be aware that cabins across the hall from each other are not necessarily in the same price range or category.

~Connie

• 2 weeks later...
I'm in the same situation - but more importantly, I was concerned about safety. I'm pretty sure I couldn't sleep with my kids in another room with an outside door.

We just booked for November and are getting a room for the kids across the hall (14, 11 and 9 yrs old) One really good idea I heard on the boards here is to bring a baby monitor for their room. I plan on doing this!

My boys were next door on the Carnival Conquest and they wouldn't give me an extra key!:mad: They were 15 and 17, but I'm overprotective and really would have liked to have that key (one night, my younger son was sleeping in his cabin, but I thought he was wandering the ship; he wears hearing aids, so at night, with them off, he didn't hear us knocking on the door. I found my older son and had him open the cabin). Other than that, it worked out. We either had them check in with us at "curfew" or call us from their cabin when they turned in for the night. You would think the cruiseline would welcome the extra supervision the extra key would bring, but that was their rule and they stuck to it.

We just returned from a trip on the Carnival Liberty, and our kids (10 yr old boy and 13 yr old girl) had an interior cabin across the hall from us. We went to the desk and they gladly gave us an extra key (they were equally accommodating with another family traveling with us).

The kids were amazingly responsible (this was their 4th cruise, but 1st in their own cabin). Each night, though, when we "closed them in" for the night, one had to get out of bed to bolt the door.

I thought I would be really nervous about this, but I wasn't at all. Did not lose one minute sleep over it. And I am really overprotective at home (ask my 13 year old's friends!).

This was really a vacation with the kids in their own room. Of course it depends on your kids, but it was great for us.

I do not have specific experience with cruise ships and kids in separate cabins, but this may work.

When my husband took a group of High School kids to Europe, he and I would put a 6 inch piece of tape over a portion of the door and doorjam after curfew. We then would check the doors an hour after curfew and then in the morning. If the tape was not in the exact spot or torn off, then we knew they opened their door at night. It worked really well.

We just returned from a trip on the Carnival Liberty, and our kids (10 yr old boy and 13 yr old girl) had an interior cabin across the hall from us. We went to the desk and they gladly gave us an extra key (they were equally accommodating with another family traveling with us).

That's why I was so surprised about them not giving me an extra key after reading all the posts where people didn't run into any problems. It must be a "Conquest" thing because since I posted upon my return, others have said they had the same problem on that ship..........apparently, their computers won't allow more keys than the room accomodates (so they say). Anyway, mine is an old story. The cruise was awesome! I'm glad you and your family had a great experience too.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived