Help! Which excursions in West.Carribean- Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau

Hi,

DH and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary with our first cruise. We don't get any time to ourselves without the kids (this is our first trip w/o them), so we're really trying to make this trip count and make it special. Both are good swimmers, but this would be our first snorkeling adventure, and we want to be safe. We'd like something really good. We hate crowds and feeling herded, but if a Carnival excursion ends up being our best bet, I guess that's what we'll do. We're also on a limited budget:o, so can't do snorkeling at every port. We really need advice.

Please help us choose what we should do, especially if we're only able to choose one. We're sailing on Carnival Sensation 5/13/06 to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and Nassau. Each stop offers snorkeling excursions. Which would be the best? And should we do this through Carnival or is there a cheaper or not cheaper but lots better place we should book on our own? Please be specific, especially in mentioning Nassau, because there seem to be a hundred different places to go: Pearl Island Treasure Hunt, Blackbeard, Rose something, Stuart's Cove, etc, etc.:confused:

We'd also really appreciate any advice on the Horse Swim excursions that are offered at Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay. Time on horseback sounds short- is it worth it because the swim or view or whatever are so great, or are we better off riding at Nassau's Windsor Equestrian Centre, which gives you about 1.5 hours on horseback?

Thank you so much! :)

Hi,

In Nassau I recommend Stuart's Cove. They're the largest dive shop on the island (they're used by Hollywood types for filming ocean movies like Flipper and Into the Blue) and provide transportation to/from your ship with morning and afternoon dives. However, be aware, they're on the other side of the island from Nassau (Nassau's kinda Northeast and they're Southwest). It's a small island but you didn't say how long you were in port. Add on at least a 1/2 hour for your return. They post their schedules, prices, how to contact them, even a snorkel video, on their website at:

http://www.snorkelbahamas.com/index.htm

Can't guarantee you'll have just a few people, they book to capacity where possible, but they are a very good shop (my local dive instructor goes down for a week in the summer and conducts their shark dives for them, and I trust his judgement as he's a very safety oriented instructor (minus his need to dive with sharks)).

Randall

Here are the time frames we have:

Grand Turk 7 AM to 2:30 PM

Half Moon Cay 9 AM to 6:00 PM

Nassau 7 AM to 3 PM

Does this give us time to do the Stuart's Cove snorkeling? Their website said you could miss the bus if you weren't down by 8:15, at the curb. How long does it take to get off the ship?

Thanks!

Happy days to you

I did the horse riding last fall. Not bad, its a better picture than ride. Stood around more than riding. First they have you ride on the beach for a mile or so and then on a trial that is lined with weeds and hurricane leftovers. Then they change to a cloth cover instead of a saddle and you ride in the water for 1/4 mile. If you have short legs ( as I do) you have to really work to hold your balance.

You are not very deep in the water but the horses seem to enjoy it. The group leaders will take your photo if you have a camera and try to put the ship in the back drop. They do try to really help you have fun.

While on HMC, I rented the snorkeling gear and floated around and looked at what ever there was there. Which was mostly sand - except next to the rocks where you could see some small fish.

The swimming with the rays on HMC was better. Not that long in the water but better fish and the rays were neat. Got to feed them too. :p

I also did the Nassau snorkeling a couple of years back - catamaran and coral type trip. Mostly slow sailing - stopped a two spots but nothing great. The down side was they mandated we have lifejackets- not BC's. That ment it was impossible to dive down to the coral and see it or any fish up close.

Both of my trips were booked thru the ship. The horse riding is a ship excursion exclusive, so your stuck there. The swimming with the Rays on HMC were good. But there are several snorkeling charters in Nassau that I have learned since that would have been cheaper and better.

A a change for instance, last time in Nassau DW & I took the ferry to Atlantis. She stayed with the A/C and slots and I walked to the public beach. Swam and floated and then rented a Jet Ski and had a blast.

Have fun

Making the 8:15 pickup will be a close call. You only save about $5pp by prebooking. I would suggest you contact them and tell them you may or may not be able to make it in time. Don't prepay, so that way you are not out of money if you can't get off the ship in time. Also, head down to the gangway about 30 min prior to docking so that way you are near the front of the line. I made it when I did the trip with about 10 min to spare. If you can do the trip, it is a blast, esp the shark feed.

Here are the time frames we have:

Grand Turk 7 AM to 2:30 PM

Half Moon Cay 9 AM to 6:00 PM

Nassau 7 AM to 3 PM

Does this give us time to do the Stuart's Cove snorkeling? Their website said you could miss the bus if you weren't down by 8:15, at the curb. How long does it take to get off the ship?

Thanks!

Agreed, with the last reply, just contact them with your cruise ship details and estimated arrival times. Stuart's Cove is contracted by a lot of cruise ships (they were the contracted dive shop on my last cruise) and they like to keep cruise people happy. Plus, if you tell them you wanted to do this as your special event for your anniversary they might make extra arrangements for getting you to/from the ship but of course I can't guarantee they'd do that. :O)

Randall

Archived