The Dress Code and Those Who Disregard it

chicagolass

Age plays a presidence. The age of the poster must be of an elderly persI have parents who do not like a hat at the table, i am 53. I have parents who insist in button shirts at dinner. The older the generation, the least excepting they are to what today is the norm or laxed version. Do not shoot the poster, to them they do not understand the culture disreguarding the rules, sort of say. Yes, they would enjoy themselves more, if they just said" to each his own" and enjoyed the trip. Look at the cruise date, 1959 you know they are older. Sandy

Hi Smiley Nurse, Thanks for the comments. You miss the point dear.Acting without good manners and good taste is ageless. It's just as unattractive and out- of- place in a seven-year old as it is in a seventy-year old. Yes, by all means "to each his own." But the golden rule is-- by doing your own thing

just make sure that it doesn't offend or hurt the larger part of society in which you find yourself. It's the civilized way. That is the point!

It's the point that Celebrity and other cruise lines the world over want to get across in their policies and dress codes.Changing cruise

lines or cruise ships doesn't change that basic code in life.

Yes dear, I am elderly. Moreover, in my travels and in my life, I know and meet some people in their 30s, 40s,and 50s who think and act ancient. Remember that old goldie from the 50s. Let me paraphrase:

... Fairytales do come true,

It can happen to you, if you're young at heart.

... And if you should survive to 105

Think of all you'll derive out of being alive.

Here is the best part, you have a headstart

... If you are among the very young at heart.

Shall we dance! My best to you and yours.

Chicagolass.

Yes dear, I am elderly. Moreover, in my travels and in my life, I know and meet some people in their 30s, 40s,and 50s who think and act ancient. Remember that old goldie from the 50s. Let me paraphrase:

... Fairytales do come true,

It can happen to you, if you're young at heart.

... And if you should survive to 105

Think of all you'll derive out of being alive.

Here is the best part, you have a headstart

... If you are among the very young at heart.

Shall we dance! My best to you and yours.

Chicagolass.

Then I guess I must be elderly, too, because I remember both the Doris Day and Frank Sinatra versions of that song! I'm of the opinion, after reading your posts, that you should change your screen name from Chicagolass to Chicagoclass. :)

I'm trying to think of a delicate way to say this, but have you noticed a parallelism between the dress code detractors' social acumen and their communication skills?

Allen

Wouldn't a lot of this confusion be solved if Celebrity would just say what they mean rather than trying the "how do we appeal to everyone" approach. If they want semi-formal they should not call it informal and they should be consistent about policing it and not take it out on their employees when they do police it and get some people upset.

I would *hate* to see dining on cruises de-formalized like it has been on land. That would be really sad as this is one of the primary reasons we go on cruises and certainly one of the reasons we decided to try Celebrity.

I am certainly not rich or stuffy. I think it is very possible to be a classy dresser on a budget. Everyone is invited to the party regardless of financial or social standing. We just need to respect the purpose fo the party or respectively decline to attend.

Tom

I think some people just don't care about abiding by rules - whether implied or completely spelled out. Age just doesn't have much to do with that. I'm in my 40s and I have been known to rebel in small little ways but usually with humor and never where I felt it was embarassing or insulting to those around me. It also comes back to that age old standby - if you were raised with certain standards, manners, mores. Mr Wolf's table manners reflect his German mothers edict that you were insulting the cook if you did not clean your plate and ask for a second helping. To him what was normal dinner behavior was horrifying and nasty manners to me. We've learned to compromise - he eats like a monster at home and eats like a human in public.

Then I guess I must be elderly' date=' too, because I remember both the Doris Day and Frank Sinatra versions of that song! I'm of the opinion, after reading your posts, that you should change your screen name from Chicagolass to Chicagoclass. :)

I'm trying to think of a delicate way to say this, but have you noticed a parallelism between the dress code detractors' social acumen and their communication skills?

Allen[/quote']

whut commuticfcation skills, I know how to commuticfate.

hey, but maybe you were not referring to me;)

[quote name='cruising with marti'][B]whut commuticfcation skills, I know how to commuticfate.[/B]

[B]hey, but maybe you were not referring to me;) [/B][/quote]

Phill, you having outstaining comunicamashun skils. Ever word you saye is like heering a angle from hevven. You da mann!

Allen

Archived