Grand Princess Rome Tour

We are sailing on the Grand May 28 out of Barcelona. We have booked a tour guide for Rome, Vatican etc. He will take us in his van for however long we can tour. The van holds 6-7 people - we have 4. The cost is $420 euros for the group plus tolls, entrance fees. He comes highly recommended. If you are interested, I can get a more detailed itinerary . We are also looking at booking other tours off the ship. If anyone has used guides in the other ports, would appreciate hearing from you - Marseilles, Livorno, Athens, Kusadasi, Naples.

Is this a Princess tour or did you find the guide on your own?

I went on the Greek Isles & Mediterranean last fall on the Grand. Twice we booked tours with Princess, Livorno and Athens. We may have taken a tour in Kusadasi, but this port was cancelled.

The tours are O.K., but we really saw much more on the days we planned on our own. Since we left from Rome, we spent a few days there before we docked, which was nice. It will be hard to see all the major sights in one day. You will need a guide I think, because the port is a drive from Rome. I'm thinking an hour or more.

Also, in Livorno, this port would be hard to plan on your own also. The port seemed huge, and there doesn't seem to be much nearby except commercial ships. We took the Florence tour. The guide really rushes you through the main sights, but they know their way around. Also, we had to hop on a bus for the meal. This is not a good plan. They drive you way out of the main area of Florence, which is beautiful, and take you to what I would say is a step above a Holiday Inn for an "authentic meal." This is a stretch. This time would be better spent near the major sights. The ship tours do not like to pay restaurant prices here, it is evident.

This was also the case in Athens. The tour was a good way to see the major sights. Athens is a huge city, and it would be hard to drive around if you haven't been there. I will warn you about the meal afterward, though. We had fun because our tablemates from the cruise were great, but the "authentic meat" was scary. If you had to imagine what dog food tasted like, I would suspect it would be better. Luckily, my Mom and I had stopped at a bistro recommemded by Fodor's during our shopping time, and had some great appetizers.

Have a great time! I will say this was a great cruise and itinerary.:)

Purplefan

Do yourself a favor and schedule your own tours. We arranged all of our shore tours through the internet in Marseille, livorno, rome, amalfi coast and Athens. The difference was that the 6 person mini-bus tour was less expensive and much more enjoyable than the bus tours.

It is a long way from the ports to the attractions on the Grand Princess Grand Mediteranean tours. Plan ahead and use due dilligence.

I can almost guarantee that you will sleep on the way back to the ship.

Archived