Do you let you 18-20 year olds drink?

if you are old enough to fight and die in a war, i would certainly think that you are old enough to drink.

give your children credit for having the ability to make the right decisions, and also be honest with yourself about what you were doing when you were 18. it isn't as if they will be unsupervised.

I've got the solution to the "but at 18 they are old enough to join the military, be on their own, and are considered adults." How about this: As far as I know, fully adult people typically support themselves; they don't rely on mommy and daddy to pay the bills, pay their rent, or pay for their vacations. So, if an 18 y/o is on his/her own and pays for his/her own cruise, he/she is and "adult" and should be allowed to consume beer and wine. If an 18 y/o is still living in his/her parents' home and being supported by said parents, he/she is not truly an adult and shouldn't be allowed to consume beer or wine.

(Yeah, I know...that's not going to fly with most posters, but my point remains the same. Just because someone is 18 and old enough to "die for our country" doesn't make them mature enough or adult enough to drink alcohol responsibly.)

beachchick

But their mature enough to DIE for our Country.

Kinda odd that they are mature enough for that but not drinking.

They can even buy a shotgun or rifle when they are 18.

Mature enough for that.

But not mature enough to buy a beer.

Odd.

I've got the solution to the "but at 18 they are old enough to join the military, be on their own, and are considered adults." How about this: As far as I know, fully adult people typically support themselves; they don't rely on mommy and daddy to pay the bills, pay their rent, or pay for their vacations. So, if an 18 y/o is on his/her own and pays for his/her own cruise, he/she is and "adult" and should be allowed to consume beer and wine. If an 18 y/o is still living in his/her parents' home and being supported by said parents, he/she is not truly an adult and shouldn't be allowed to consume beer or wine.

beachchick

So what you are saying is if a 25 year old is still living at home and relying on mommy and daddy to pay their bills, they shouldn't be allowed to drink? I know age doesn't show maturity. I've seen plenty "kids" over 21 who are no way mature enough for alcohol!

I had my daughter call Royal Caribbean to see what rules applied to the cruise we are going on. Ironically, I will have to sign a waiver for her to be able to drink anything alcoholic on her honeymoon.
That's interesting. There was a thread about six weeks ago on this same topic, and the OP posted that RCI told him that no waiver was necessary. Here's a link to the thread you might find it interesting. The post about not needing a waiver is #19.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=286194

conrad75070: I'm saying that I don't think all 18 year olds are mature enough to "die for our country" and that it further is not necessarily related to being mature enough to handle the responsibilities of drinking alcohol. I think many are and many are not; same goes for other adult activities.

Clark: In a way, yes I do mean that a 25 year old who is still relying on mommy and daddy to take care of him/her is not mature enough to be living an adult life. You say it yourself: There are plenty of people over 21 who are not responsible or mature enough to handle alcohol. Any 25 year old who is being supported by his/her parents (and probably is still relying on mom and dad to take care of food, laundry, cleaning, insurance, etc.) is not living an adult life--unless, and these are reasonable reasons IMO, an emergency situation had occured and the arrangement was short term and the adult-child was contributing to the support and maintenance of the household OR the adult-child (say, still a graduate student) is paying rent to his/her parents, paying for groceries, doing laundry/cleaning, paying for insurance, and essentially living in as an adult "renter." Otherwise, they are just immature kids who haven't been forced to grow up!

beachchick

As I said in an earlier post- I do not have children...so for what its worth.

If you go on a family vacation, make it a family vacation. I have seen on previous cruises, children, teenagers, and young adults basically on their own. And yes - drinking alcohol - and no I don't know if it was with parental permission or they just got it somehow.

Just to share - a young girl, probably 18 was talking with her friend... she had bought a bottle of alcohol on shore - and yes, bragged that she got wasted the night before. The young man said, yeah, your dad was banging at my door at 2 am looking for you. And I got off the elevator so I did not hear anymore and that was fairly late that evening.

I don't know what time her parent/parents finally located her or if they knew she was "wasted" - but why was she then allowed to do the same thing the very next evening. She would be with me...and in MY cabin for the rest of the cruise.

This problem is deeper than signing a form. Enjoy your kids and remember how lucky you are to have them. If you need time as a parent without the children, then leave them home with proper supervision.....

Karen

As I said in an earlier post- I do not have children...so for what its worth.

If you go on a family vacation, make it a family vacation. I have seen on previous cruises, children, teenagers, and young adults basically on their own. And yes - drinking alcohol - and no I don't know if it was with parental permission or they just got it somehow.

Just to share - a young girl, probably 18 was talking with her friend... she had bought a bottle of alcohol on shore - and yes, bragged that she got wasted the night before. The young man said, yeah, your dad was banging at my door at 2 am looking for you. And I got off the elevator so I did not hear anymore and that was fairly late that evening.

I don't know what time her parent/parents finally located her or if they knew she was "wasted" - but why was she then allowed to do the same thing the very next evening. She would be with me...and in MY cabin for the rest of the cruise.

This problem is deeper than signing a form. Enjoy your kids and remember how lucky you are to have them. If you need time as a parent without the children, then leave them home with proper supervision.....

Karen

Very smart advise. Why is it so important that young people drink at all. This is a very emotional issue - obviously...but I guess I am baffled as to why drinking is such a big part of cruising. And why is drinking a big part of growing up- or showing maturity? It really doesn't make your kids smarter, more refined, more mature, or more dignified.

I have seen the same type of thing Karen mentioned - and it is heartbreaking- especially on a cruise ship where the crew comes from completely different backgrounds and have a completely different value system. Having worked with cruise ships for many years, I can tell you that everything looks great topside, but cruise ships have a very dark "under belly". Everyone needs to practice especially good judgement on a cruise ship and in foreign countries.

Why is it so important that young people drink at all. This is a very emotional issue - obviously...but I guess I am baffled as to why drinking is such a big part of cruising. And why is drinking a big part of growing up- or showing maturity? It really doesn't make your kids smarter, more refined, more mature, or more dignified.

Drinking alcohol is forbidden and adults tell you it’s not good for you - so of course teenagers want to find out about it. What do most little children (4, 6, 10 years old) do when you tell them “Don't do that, it's dangerous”? They try it the first chance they get. Same principle, children and teenagers want to try new things, they are curious (which is usually a good thing, otherwise they wouldn't learn anything).

Lots of great ideas and comments.

I also agree that teaching young adults about responsible drinking is the way to go. I will be cruising with my 18 year old and her 18 year old best friend this spring. Although this will be my daughters 4th cruise, it will be her first with the drinking waiver.

It has brought up several healthy discussions regarding drinking, which we have "lectured" about in the past, but now the topic has taken on a more interactive adult discussion.

Why do people think that signing waiver means that your (adult) child will be drinking at any possible opportunity? I guess you know your kid best, but I am sure that most won't see this as free reign to walk around drink in hand at all time. This whole discussion never fails to amaze me. I grew up in Quebec where the drinking age is 18, and we never abused it (not saying that others didn't though :rolleyes: )

Jacquelyn, Americans will just never understand that some our drinking laws --and our attitudes contribute to the problems with drinking. We like to have our cake and eat it too. Okay to show and market drinking on TV, movies and sports but we expect young adults to ignore that so basically they do it on the sneak and then you get the problems.

It does seem a little ridiculous that that mother will have to sign a waiver for her daughter on her honeymoon!

Just to clarify, after rereading my posts, I sound like I 100% against a drink every now and then. In fact, I probably have had 10 in the past years from time to time. I would NOT be horrified if someone 18- with there parents there had a glass of wine or a beer. Nor would I encourage it. Responsible drinking is all part of growing up. At what point your child is responsible is not a number, its a state of mind and only the parent knows each child enough to make that judgement.

I feel sad for parents who "can't wait to have a drink" or "won't do something because they will not be able to drink" or "spend their entire cruise consuming drinks" while their kids (any age) are bored and alone. There are so many healthy family activities on vacation - I am just trying to say - enjoy it with them and show them how to lead a healthy lifestyle.

And yes, this is very personal to me. Not being able to have children and losing my brother to a disease at a relatively young age. (not to say a teenager who has a drink will become an alcholic). Added to that I have a good friend that struggles herself with alcohol and seeing first hand how important it is for her to have drinking in her life while she was raising two boys on her own. She's a great friend, at time, I have tried to shake her back into reality - but she just does not get it. To add even more to this, another friend lost her 16 year old son to a drug overdose this past January 2nd. Parenting is the toughest job out there and there is no retirement from being a parent.

I will add that I have also met many, many wonderful young people on cruises - so for the most part - Parents are doing a wonderful job.

Enough from me - sorry - I feel like I'm giving a sermon.

Karen

Having said that, in America, it is against the law for those under the age of 21 to drink.

Depends on the jurisdiction. In Texas, it's perfectly legal for my 17-year-old daughter to drink provided I bought the drink for her and I'm with her while she consumes it. Makes me want to go research alcoholic beverage laws in other states.

It's getting annoying all these people making these blanket statements IN AMERICA IT'S ALWAYS ILLEGAL FOR UNDER AGE 21 TO DRINK.

NO IT'S NOT.

Yep.. Texas..home of the gun rack and the only state (so far as I know) which allows open liquor containers in cars. What's the age of consent in that State? Can you marry your cousin?

Anyway, I can't understand why a question like this should be put to a poll; if you don't know how to raise your kids, Cruise Critic is a pretty poor substitute.

Okay, found a site that had a partial listing of underage drinking laws, state-by-state.

Alaska

- No one under the age of 21 is allowed to consume, possess, or control alcoholic beverages except; if a parent gives it to his/her child, or if a guardian gives it to his/her ward, or a legal spouse (wife or husband over 21) gives it to his/her spouse. This may only happen off licensed premises (i.e. not in bars, liquor stores, etc.).

Colorado

- No one under the age of 21 is allowed to consume or possess alcohol unless a parent or guardian gives permission for their child or ward to drink, but only on private property and under the supervision of the parent or guardian.

Georgia

- No one under 21 year of age is allowed to possess alcohol (therefore you can't drink it either) unless at home when the parent or guardian gives it to his/her child or ward and the parent or guardian is present (supervising).

Indiana

- No one under the age of 21 years is allowed to consume, transport, or possess alcohol. But he/she is allowed to consume, transport, or posses alcohol when supervised by the parent or guardian.

Iowa

- No one under the age of 21 is allowed to consume or posses alcohol, unless at a private home when the parent or guardian gives it to his/her child or ward and the said parent or guardian is present (supervising).

Ohio

- No one under the age of 21 is allowed to possess or consume any alcohol in any public or private place, unless the underage person is accompanied by a parent, spouse who is not an underage person, or legal guardian.

South Dakota

- No one under the age of 21 is allowed to purchase, possess, or consume alcohol. But an 18 year old or older can drink alcohol if done in the immediate presence of a parent or guardian or spouse over twenty-one years of age. Also if under 18 years old you can still drink alcohol as long it's in the immediate presence of a parent or guardian or spouse, who is at least twenty-one years of age, while not on the premises of an establishment licensed for the retail sale of alcoholic beverages.

Texas

- No one under the age of 21 is allowed to purchase, posses, or consume alcohol. Possession and consumption of alcohol is legal for minors if under the supervision of a parent, guardian or spouse.

This is an incomplete listing. There was no information for Hawaii, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Michegan, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.

All other states not listed above did not allow under 21 drinking. All states allow it for medical purposes. Some states allowed for other exceptions, like religious or educational. There are shades of gray, like some state(s) do not allow purchase or consumption but allow possession, go figure.

Many of these states have Zero Tolerance laws. Some of them will hold the party who supplied the alcohol (say a parent) responsible if the underage drinker is in an accident. Anyhow, it's confusing, and not quite as black and white as people keep posting here.

Yep.. Texas..home of the gun rack and the only state (so far as I know) which allows open liquor containers in cars.

Actually it's illegal to have an open container in a car in Texas. I don't feel like digging it out, but feel free to look it up on your own:

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/al.toc.htm

Edit: I did go look it up. The statute that concerns open containers is in the Texas Penal Code, not the Alcoholic Beverage Code.

49.031. POSSESSION OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE IN MOTOR VEHICLE.

(b) A person commits an offense if the person knowingly

possesses an open container in a passenger area of a motor vehicle

that is located on a public highway, regardless of whether the

vehicle is being operated or is stopped or parked. Possession by a

person of one or more open containers in a single criminal episode

is a single offense.

Btw, I do own a handgun and have a CCL.

What's the age of consent in that State?

Seventeen. What's the age of consent in your state?

http://www.ageofconsent.com/ageofconsent.htm

Can you marry your cousin?

Now you're being silly.

I am sorry to ask this same question again in this same thread, but I really think some of you may know the answer and this seems like the appropriate thread to ask it on rather than start a new one. So here goes-

I have a question about the waiver for the 18-20 year olds. This means that they can buy beer and wine when not with parents or guardians and not cocktails. But does it mean that I cannot buy specialty drinks (like pina coladas or something like that) for them when with me (like sail away or something) if they are between 18-21? I would think I could but I don't know. Any experience with this is appreciated!

Denise

Denise

No you can not buy someone under the age of 21 a drink. Here is what it says on the RCCL website.

WHAT IS THE DRINKING

AGE ONBOARD?

Royal Caribbean International’s age

policy for consumption of alcoholic

beverages is as follows:

For all Alaska itineraries guests

must be 21 years old to consume

any alcoholic beverages.

Guests 21 or older may consume

any alcoholic beverages on any sailing.

Guests 18 – 20 may consume beer and

wine (except for Alaska) if the parent

or legal guardian has signed a waiver

granting permission. The waiver may

be requested at check-in or at the

Purser’s Desk onboard. Guests 18–20

without a signed waiver will not be

allowed to drink. This policy subject

to change without notice.

Applicable age restrictions apply while

the ship is in port, in accordance with

local age limitations.

Providing alcohol to a minor is a violation

of our Guest Vacation Guidelines

and will not be tolerated. Please review

our Code of Conduct in the “Getting

Settled” section for details.

Please refer to

http://www.royalcaribbean.com

for information on alcohol consumption and

gaming age requirements.

Please note: An individual’s age on the date of

sailing determines his or her status for the entire

cruise vacation.

CRUISE VACATION GUIDE

Get out the flame throwers ... here goes....

I well remember when those drinking laws changed. I was 18, at the time at that age you could drink 3.2% beer (low) you had to be 21 to drink 6%beer (high), wine, booze. (Ohio law)

The reason all states adopted the "21 = drinking age" is because the federal gov. threatened every state with loss of federal money for highways if they did not comply with the 21 legal age. Florida was one of the last hold outs

(18 - beer, wine, booze) -- spring break dollars soon began to leave as young adults started leaving the country so they could drink on their vacations.

In this country you are legally responsible for your actions if you are 18 (sometimes earlier); how can it be that you are unable to consume alcohol legally? (I personally would opt for the high/low system) It is no wonder that there are "underage" drinking problems; our laws are like dangling a carrot in front of a horse.

At 18 you are an adult, be responsible, go to war, get married, buy a gun, but for goodness sake don't have a drink you are too young/immature for that!

may all your sailing be on calm seas

Thanks Dockman123- I did go to the website and find that section myself. I will have a 19 year old daughter who would want to try a pina colada or strawberry dacquiri but isn't much for wine and beer taste so she will just have to stick with the virgin varieties! She won't really care I just thought I would ask while we were all talking about it.

Denise

When you check in with kids they punch holes in their sea pass card. The last cruise we went on they punch two holes, on my 19 year old son. He was not happy since he wanted to GAMBLE....he got a new card issued to him. Personally, I feell you have to trust your own kids.

Denise -

The drinking age in many of the ports in the caribbean is 18 or younger! (Pretty much if they can look over the bar they are served!) Wait until you are at port to purchase the specialty drinks and your daughter can purchase it for herself!

Zanty:

Did you notice that the Texas penal code outlaws open containers in the PASSENGER area? Thus, a driver in Texas drinkin' a long neck is free to go!

Can you point a gun out the window of your car- I mean pickup truck- with your CCL?

Zanty:

Did you notice that the Texas penal code outlaws open containers in the PASSENGER area? Thus, a driver in Texas drinkin' a long neck is free to go!

"Passenger area of a motor vehicle" means the area of a motor vehicle designed for the seating of the operator and passengers of the vehicle. The term does not include:

(A) a glove compartment or similar storagecontainer that is locked;

(B) the trunk of a vehicle; or

© the area behind the last upright seat of the vehicle, if the vehicle does not have a trunk.

Come riding with me sugar, and I'll let you sit in the trunk.

Archived