San Juan 7am-2pm What to do???

RKAJ

Never been to San Juan and would love suggestions on what to do while there. We are a group of 6 adults.

It sounds like the rainforest is great, and also the rum tour. Can both be done? Should be book through the cruise or is this port quite easy to get around and book things outside the ship?

All suggestions would be appreciated..

Thanks

The rain forest alone would take at least four hours if you plan on having the time to see some of it so it would use all of your available time.

You could also take a taxi or public transportation up the hill to El Morro, tour it, and walk back down through Old San Juan. You can get maps on what to see and do.

Rainforest is an hour drive from port (more if traffic is heavy) and then back. So a 4 hr tour does not leave much time to actually see the rainforest.... there have been numerous posts on this forum about that.....

You didnt say which ship but probably will be docking at old San Juan piers... you will get off right in old San Juan. It is about 15 square blocks but up and down - wear comfy shoes to walk. Havent taken the rum factory tour but also many posts about that on this forum also....most not very favorable.... seems you don't get to actually see the factory anymore.

Old San Juan is a really neat place and we enjoyed just walking around (which we did alot of since we stayed 2 nights precruise in Nov.) El Morro is pretty neat and like previous poster said you can take a taxi up and walk back down to pier. There is an extensive walking tour in the Frommers Caribbean Ports of Call book ($15.00) which tells you where all the sights are.

I am also interested in this topic. Our flight leaves at 2:45, but I need to get seats and boarding passes...We have RCCL transportation already to the airport, and I would like to go there and get the paperwork out of the way, and then go somewhere for a few hours. How far to Old San Juan to walk around? How much is a taxi there? Luggage is already taken care of with RCCL luggage valet, so we won't have to deal with that.

I am also interested in this topic. Our flight leaves at 2:45, but I need to get seats and boarding passes...We have RCCL transportation already to the airport, and I would like to go there and get the paperwork out of the way, and then go somewhere for a few hours. How far to Old San Juan to walk around? How much is a taxi there? Luggage is already taken care of with RCCL luggage valet, so we won't have to deal with that.

This is according to what you mean by RCCL luggage valet. If you mean the On Board Luggage Valet with American Airlines, you will receive your boardings passes the last night of the cruise and can bypass check in at the airport and just go to security. In this case, you can take a taxi from the pier to OSJ for $10 and one from OSJ to the airport for $19.

If you mean you have transfers to the airport and RCCL is taking your luggage there and you have to check in, it's a whole new ball game. When the cruise ships change over, the airport can become a madhouse with very long lines at both check in and security. You may not have as much time as you believe.

Thanks...actually we do have transfer to airport already thru RCCL and I plan to check the luggage on board...Sounds like the best bet is to hike a cab to OSJ and then another one to the airport...Which means I won't use the transfer I paid for. Your point about security is well taken...we'll make it a short trip to do some sightseeing...

Archived