doesn't it surprise you when someone DOESN'T have a good time on a cruise?

There are cruise people and there are people who like to keep their feet on land. The only cruise I didn't care for was with HAL (I am 38). The ports and food were good but after 10:00 the ship was really quiet.

Saw a saying---I don't consider that I'm not on a cruise, I just think of it as a really long short excersion.

Carnival Festival-January 1992

Empress of the Seas-August 1993

Majesty of the Seas-August 1994

Song of America-April 1995

Club Med I-May 1996

Norwegian Majesty-August 1997

Rhapsody of the Seas-October 1997

Adventure of the Seas-April 2002

Serenade of the Seas-March 2004

Diamond Princess-January 2005

Zuiderdam-November 2005

Enchantment of the Seas-December 2005

Jewel of the Seas-March 2006

Monarch of the Seas-May 2006

Radiance of the Seas-May 2006

Freedom of the Seas-September 2006

Everyone goes on vacation with different expectations. As a seasoned traveler & cruiser, I have found that my enthusiasm for a particulr type of vacation does not always transfer to someone else. Many people have the luxury of vacationing more than once a year, and consequently, may not be as likely to dismiss all of the little things, which when added up, may make or break the vacation experience.

I am also a TA, and have learned to qualify my customers before suggesting any vacation, whether it is land based or a cruise. I have had many customers who did not like the time constraints associated with cruising, as well as the long lines, small cabins (as opposed to larger hotel rooms) and hoards of people. The list could go on and on.

Cruising is a personal favorite of mine, however, I also have the opportunity to enjoy those AI land based vacations too.

A cruise is not for everyone, some ships are simply not nice and IME there are sitautions that can happen on board that significantly affect the enjoyment of a cruise.

Of my many cruises, five were downright awful and another handful were marginal at best.

So, no, it does not surprise me at all.

This is an interesting thread to read because my husband and I have very different opinions of cruising. I went on a number of cruises with my parents when I was a teenager and in my early twenties and I have come to LOVE it!! I could go on a cruise for every vacation and never get tired of it.

My husband, on the other hand, has been on one cruise with me, 3 years ago and he was somewhat unimpressed (of course, we were on Carnival... :D). He says he felt like he was "stuck on a boat" for a week. That's what I don't understand!! We went to an all-inclusive Sandals for our honeymoon - the entire resort held something like 600 people, so it was significantly smaller than a cruise ship. We didn't leave the resort for the entire week, but for whatever reason, he didn't feel confined there.

I'm hoping that he likes our cruise next week better or we're going to have to take separate vacations from now on!!!

No, it doesn't surprise me at all. Everyone has different taste and likes doing different things. Some people like brussel sprouts and some don't. Some people think sitting on a beach for a week would be paradise. To me it would be terribly boring. Your brother is just not a cruiser.

I would (and someday WILL!) definitely do an Alaska cruise. It seems to me that is's a perfect way to see the beauty. Ultimately, I'd love to combine it with a land trip (RC's sounds really good) but I may have to wait until after I win the lottery! :D

I also agree that cruising is a perfect vacation with the kids (mine are 9 and 13). They were never bored and had a total blast!

we have highly functioning autistic child, so cruising [and meeting and interacting with other children] can be a major challenge for us as a family. That and the corporate cruise kids programs are perfect for anyone who just follows direction mindlessly and does what they are told.

We tried, but we couldn't do it we tried but we couldn't do it - and that'll tell you how old us adults are!

Everyone has choices and to some not getting a chair by the pool is important. My wife did not enjoy our first cruise but loved the 2nd cruise on the Explorer. Myself I find kicking back on the balcony away from the world very relaxing.

One of the best days of my life was spent snorkling with my boys in St. Thomas especially when my youngest came up from underwater and told me he thought he would only see schools of fish like he just had on television. A cruise like any other vacation can be spent anyway you want but all vacations can be good.

I would hate to go camping. :eek: I'm sure there are many who love camping and would be surprised to know that I could no way have fun on a camping trip. It's just not for us. To each his own!!!!

I used to love to camp. Now it's like hauling a small army and then herding cats. I don't like to herd cats. It's unfun.

Yes, I can understand that there are people who are not "built" for cruising, and I can understand them having a less than enjoyable time on a cruise ship. But what I don't understand are what I call the "nit-pickers"...those who enjoy cruising, but seem to focus only on the negatives, and IMHO, greatly exaggerate them. I had reviews of the HAL Zuiderdam where people complained of the "horrendous" vibration in the dining room. Was there a vibration? Yes - but to describe it as "horrendous" is akin to the story of "The Princess and the Pea". Others complain that the staff did not enforce the "no reserving deck chairs" policy. Some complained that their steak was not as tender as they felt it should be. Some complained about the "abhorrent" condition of the floors on deck 7 (the deck I was on). Was it noticeable? Yes, the ship was due to go to drydock in less than a month and there was some wear underneath the carpet, but it certainly didn't threaten ones balance to walk down the hallway. Some complained about "dirty glass" on the between the Lido cafe and the aft pool.

I feel sorry for those folks...for every negative they were focused so intently on, there were 5 absolutely fantastic aspects that they were missing out on. I suppose if you look hard enough, you can find fault with anything, but to do so on a cruise is, IMHO a shame....they are cheating themselves out of a wonderful time.

Hey Twoguys - your quote about 'small problems' makes my point exactly. If I control my vacation then I have NO small problems to roll with punches on. I'm not relying on anyone else to make my vacation what I want it to be . ..

You must be awfully lucky, because even when I control my vacation there have always been small problems that have to be dealt with (How have you learned to control the weather?). The key is learning to deal with them and not letting it spoil the vacation.

Some people can go with the flow and have selective memories of trips being great and just not remembering any negatives. That's a gift to be admired. I don't think any vacation is all good or all bad. Some people are programmed to remember the little bad things, some the little good ones.

I have never had a problem free vacation. Something always comes up. I also do not control my own vacation and that is the point. Weather, airline issues, someone in a bad mood, a rude passenger who feels their needs are more important. They all happen to everyone now and then. How you deal with it is what most of us mean by, "rolling with the punches". You cannot control everything on a vacation. You absolutly should speak up if someone is not doing their job, not stew about it in silence because someone might think you are complaining. Along those lines people make mistakes sometimes and a dropped fork does not a crummy vacation make.

Sometimes a vacation is not what someone has fought for and dreamed of. It happens. People can and will drop the ball. Those people should be able to relay their experiences without being labeled as "whiners", something I hate to see. Somtimes the gripes are real.

You must be awfully lucky, because even when I control my vacation there have always been small problems that have to be dealt with (How have you learned to control the weather?). The key is learning to deal with them and not letting it spoil the vacation.

I have to add that I've been on a couple of "all inclusive" vacations, and some vacations where I picked the condo and location, and have still encountered the "small problems" that could have "ruined" the vacation....toilet's backing up (yes, it happens on land too), traffic jams trying to get into town, TV not working....and strangers in the night who would demolish the sand castles you spent most of the afternoon working on.

This is an interesting thread. I have been on cruises and have always had a good time, but I have to say that I probably will go on few, if any, in the future. While cruises provide a lot of activities and a safe and comfortable environment while traveling, I find them too insulating. It's like traveling in a large American hotel. When you arrive at your port you and a few thousand of your friends leave the floating hotel for a few hours of exposure to another culture--maybe. Most tours are very controlled and, even when you go on your own, the time is very short. It's quite safe and it can be fun, but you never really experience another culture or place.

I know now that I much prefer to book a condo, apartment or hotel at my destination and really immerse myself in that place for the time I am there. I want to eat and spend time where the locals do. I've now done this in the Caribbean and Mexico and plan to continue this method in other parts of the world. We've met people from other countries and made friends that we would never have made had we simply visited the place for a few hours. I know that some people say that they get bored if they just go to one island, but I don't see how that is possible in just one or two weeks. There's too much to experience in any place to see it all that quickly.

I don't want this to sound like I'm putting down cruising. It can be relaxing and a lot of fun. However, I don't think it is for everyone.

I can't imagine ever hating a vacation unless some horrible unforseen thing happened like everyone on board had Norwolk or someone in your group died or something just awful. Even then it wouldn't really be the vacation itself that was so bad.

I also agree that some people are just complainers and will nit-pick at ever little thing and look for every possible thing that isn't perfect. And then complain when they don't get another cruise free because of their "unperfect" vacation.

To answer the OP's original question-

Yes, it does surprise me a bit that some people don't like to cruise. But then some people aren't satisfied with anything. The cup half full and cup half empty theory!

Personally, I am not picky as long as I am not working, not cooking, not cleaning up after anyone, and I don't have to wear a coat of jacket on vacation. So you can see I am pretty easy to please. It is an added plus that I was treated "royally" on on past cruises.

I guess that is why there are different kinds of vacations, to meet the needs of all the different people out there.

Happy cruising everyone!

I am not too surprised if someone doesn't like cruising if it is their FIRST time, but if it isn't, then I am because you know what you're signing up for. I'm one of those people with the selective memory as far as the small glitches and problems. I just got back from a short 3 nighter on the QM2 and the embarkation was horrendous. It was a computer malfunction, but I felt that for what we paid for this cruise, Cunard could have at least sent out bottled water or something to those of us standing around in the terminal for 3+ hours. But that didn't ruin the whole cruise for me. The people that I was traveling with made the whole experience fantastic.

I'm not a deck chair person, so I don't have to worry about that. I haven't had a problem with long lines anywhere on my previous 6 cruises. I enjoy the ambiance on a ship....it is so removed from reality! That's why I cruise, to escape from dishes and laundry and cooking.

As for the time constraints, the only one we pay attention to is getting back to the ship on time. If you don't want to eat dinner at a certain time, go to the Windjammer or another venue. You are not forced to participate in any of the activities, or even go to the shows. But I hate to miss them!!!

Hey Herb - ah, Weather. Well, 2 week long vacations in Hawaii in February, you might get a cold front or two. . . . some years we get none, others, one, perhaps 2 in 12-15 day period in Feb. Staying inside in a rainstorm and listening to the rain for a day or even 2 out of a 14 day trip can be rather relaxing. You certainly will not get cold.

2 days of rain on a cruise, when you have NOTHING to do on the ship on port days (since they don't really schedule anything those days) and getting soaked and then sick if you do the excursion since the ONLY day you can do the excursion is THE day you are in THAT port, is somewhat limiting.

If I'm in Hawaii or St. Maarten or Anguilla or so other tropical destination on land, and it rains, I'll just go to Haleakala, or shopping in town, or do the whale watch, or just wait until tomorrow. Can't do that on a cruise. In fact, in Hawaii, you can go up the volcanoes and see snow, and even get ABOVE the clouds on Maui and the Big Island, and look DOWN at the bad weather. That is a really neat experience.

So, while cruises are great for those folks who love them, others hate relying on someone else to do their job right in order to have a good time withOUT a hassle. As for camping, If I have to spend a day setting up and day packing up, if I wanted to work that hard I'd stay at work!!!

When I say no hassle, I get on a plane [we use frequent flier miles to upgrade to first class - its a Loooooooooong way to Hawaii from the east coast! - so there is little hassle factor except for TSA] and each of us takes ONE roll-on bag, and a backpack and we're set for 2 weeks for the most part. Then we get to the island, and we get in a pre-reserved car - since we travel on business we are members of the car rental company top tier frequent renters deal and there is always a car just waiting for us without a problem. We get in the car and drive to the house, again, nothing but traffic to deal with. We get in the house, go to the grocery store and we're set. What other hassle can I have? No luggaeg to lose or delay, no ship to miss, no tour company to screw anything up, no condo to be trashed or smoky or whatever, just a rental house that is ours alone. One we've stayed in before so I know where it is and how to get there and how firm the bed is!! ;-)

We wanna go on an 'excursion,' I pick up the phone, call the operator and when I want to go I go. I want dinner, especially in the Caribbean, you go to the restaurant and eat - since most caribbean travel now is by cruise ship, restaurants that are packed for lunch are come as you want for dinner since everyone is back on the boats by 5p. If the seas a re rough, I jsut wait to do my boat trip til tommorrow. Beach covered with loud kids or tourists, wait til tomorrow.

Some people obsess over deck chairs. I obsess over the bills in my wallet - they all have to be facing the same way. DH calls it my "Sleeping With the Enemy" thing. It really bothers me when they come out of the ATM every which way. OK, I get that it's a little odd.:D

But to each his own. We went on a 3-night cruise with some friends a few years ago. I think she enjoyed herself, and I think he was bored to tears. She takes care of 3 kids, one with special needs, and I think really enjoyed the opportunity to leave it all behind a relax. He's Type A all the way, and I think isn't truly happy unless he's running or organizing something. There is a certain element of being part of the herd (whether on a Voyager class or Windjammer vessel) that bugged him.

Everyone has different likes/dislikes. I personally felt Maui was too laid back and I was pretty bored there on my vacation last year. But then I am not a "relaxed" vacationer. We are "on the go" vacationers adn like to be entertained most of the time, with some relaxing in between.

I am hoping our first cruise keeps us busy and entertained and having fun all 7 days. yes the sea days will be a bit on the boring side for us, but still will enjoy them.

;)

I've had bad cruises (twice) both times it wasn't REALLY through the fault of the cruise line itself. So I guess it was a bad VACATION not cruise. :(

ON Norway, we had a couple in the room next to us who fought constantly. The husband was physically beating the wife, glass breaking, wife thrown against our bedroom wall (sickening sound to listen to). We had to call security a couple times cause we were seriously concerned for the wife's (and childrens) safety. Long story short, security took an hour to show both times, by then the hubby had left the room, and all was quiet. So they didn't knock on their door. :mad:

On Disney, my daughter picked up some virus on the ship and had a seizure, stopped breathing, spent two days in the ship's hospital, only to be emergency transported off. :eek:

Were they bad cruises, NO, just REALLY BAD experiences. Had NOTHING to do with the cruise line.

Now family members just got off of a RCCL ship after sailing on CCL, they said the RCCL was "horrible" and they would never go back. :confused: Just don't get it.

Archived