New Pacemaker

boccenana

I don’t know if there is a previous post on this subject in Silversea forum. Searched but need fairly recent information. 

My DH has just had Pacemaker surgery for a heart block.

Only 3 days and he is doing great.

This is all new to us so if you can offer any tips on what to expect at airports, on the planes and on the ship it wold be much appreciated.

We are taking a Door to Door, 28 day Eastern Mediterranean Cruise, Athens to Athens to Dubai on the Spirit in November. 

Flights at this moment are Tucson to Athens via Chicago and Frankfurt.  Returning Dubai to Tucson via Houston.

Elaine 😎 

Elaine

my father has a pacemaker and essentially you need to tell all the security people at the airports and the cruise line that your husband has a pacemaker and they should then pull him aside and not allow him to go through the metal detectors . I believe they may use the wand instead or pat him down , but you should probably check with the doctor what security apparatus you can go through with a pacemaker. I’m pretty sure you can not go through the ones at the airport , but some may be acceptable. But again talk to the doctor and have him provide a document you can share with the agents at the security checkpoints at the airport. 

good luck to you and your husband and enjoy your cruise

liz

His Doctor will do all that on his follow up next week. Pacemaker ID card etc. in process.

I am aware of the things you mentioned Liz but wanted someone with personal experience on Silversea to perhaps comment on their experiences while traveling to and during a cruise.

For example, how the monitor works while your sailing in different parts of the world.

I can only assume, with internet access aboard that the monitor we will be receiving will work.

I am sure things will be a piece of cake but better to be informed by those that have been there.

Thanks so much for your input Liz.

Elaine 😎 

Elaine, I’ve had a pacemaker for some thirteen years.  First one had the potential to set off the detectors at an airport but mine never did going through hundreds of times.  I got a new pacemaker about seven months ago.  This one Is made from materials that will not set off detectors going through security.  I’m sure your husband’s pacemaker is made of theses new materials but I’d verify with his doctor.  I’ve never had the pacemaker set off detectors boarding a ship.  

I’ve not sailed since the new pacemaker was installed so I don’t know how that works on a ship.  The doctor might have information on that.

I am sure everything will go smoothly and I hope you bit both have a wonderful cruise.

I've had a Pacemaker for almost 30 years (on my 3rd one as of 1 1/2 years ago), and have been on many flights, many cruises, and never had an issue.  (I've actually used it to get around long lines a few times) The current pacemakers can go through security with no problem.  IF they are wanding somewhere, just say you have a pacer & put your hand over it.    If you need any encouragement from someone with lots of experience, feel free to PM me.  

Thanks for your assurances GW.

The more I research the more I realize this is no biggie.

My mind is at ease for our upcoming cruises.

John was in great shape before this, which is making recovery really easy.

Like my knees, a "pacer" just becomes part of the body.

We can't wait for Doc follow up next week.

Not driving is driving poor DH crazy.🤪

Elaine 😎 

• Like 1

Elaine I’m glad you are feeling more comfortable and am sure the  doctor will prepare your husband on what to expect and do going forward. Just so you know , my dad was told you “should not” go through the  detectors at the airport or the cruise ship because it could interfere with the device and the monitor that provides the feedback/heart rate, etc.  I was surprised to see others go through them, assume they  never ran into problems with the equipment . 

enjoy your cruise 

6 minutes ago, bobolz said:

Elaine I’m glad you are feeling more comfortable and am sure the  doctor will prepare your husband on what to expect and do going forward. Just so you know , my dad was told you “should not” go through the  detectors at the airport or the cruise ship because it could interfere with the device and the monitor that provides the feedback/heart rate, etc.  I was surprised to see others go through them, assume they  never ran into problems with the equipment . 

enjoy your cruise 

Thanks again.  We have a great Doctor thankfully. Wasn’t easy to find these days. He will give us proper guidance. The technology changes daily in medicine.

John is extremely healthy other than this so I am confident all will go well.

Elaine 😎