What Are My Chances Of Getting Bitten By Botfly In The Rainforest??

RAIDERMOM

Okay,

I know I am going to get some smart alec answers on this question, but seriously, we are a group of approx 25 including our teenage sons & daughters and were so excited to do the cave tubing until I came on this board and started reading horror stories about botflys especially in the rainforest.

How worried should I be???? Is it common in Belize??

Everyone on this board talks so wonderful about the cave tubing experience but did any of you have concerns about Botfly

Thanks for your input

Pretty slim, since the botfly does bite... it's the mosquito carrying botfly eggs that you should be worried about (I'm sorry, I couldnt resist).

Mosquitoes don't care much for deet. I'm sure citronella would work, but I wouldnt recommend carrying a torch around. I live in Florida and we deal with mosquitoes carrying potentially fatal West Nile virus. Even if you are bitten, botfly larvae are not deadly (painful? sure... deadly? not of itself).

Heading into the jungle I hope you had already considered bug repellent.

I wore bug spray with deet and had no problem. Most of my family didn't wear any bugspray (even though I warned them). There wasn't a mosquito to be found! Not sure if it is different at other times of the year. We were there last week.

Raidermom -

I am in the same "ship" as you so to speak. We were planning on attending the cave tubing excursion until I read the issues regarding the Botfly.

I remembered a story that my mom had told me recently regarding a family friend that contracted three bites while on a Panama cruise. I immediately emailed her and also started my research.

To say the least she was able to "pull out" one of the larve, however she had to go to an infectious disease physician to have the other two surgically removed! She also stated that although the cruise line recommended that everyone use insect repellent she did not.

Although these creepy things are not fatal, I would literally have a heart attack just knowing that I would have one of these under my skin and growing. I am not a negative person and do not normally let things get to me, however this really does. My DH is telling me just go and use deet, however he is not going on the cruise!

It all comes down to a stress level and enjoyment at this point. If you will not be stressed out about it then go, if it will undermine your enjoyment, as it will me, then my decision is to snorkel and beach it versus heading into the jungle!

Good Luck with your decision.

About the same chance as winning a lottery. Do some people win (get bit)? Yes, but many many others do not. Just make sure to use a good bug spray with deet. Make sure you include the scalp and ears.

Dave

Just came back from cave tubing with X-stream. Took along the individual towelettes and no problems. Actually we saw more mosquitos in the van as we were preparing to leave. Our driver was shooing them out of the van. It is a great excursion. I learned so much about the rain forest and Belize in general.

RAIDERMOM, thanks for asking this question. I've been going through the same "should we leave the ship" or "should we venture into Belize" discussion in my mind, too.

I bought 100% Deet spray in the camping section today, and I think I'll just wait until I'm on the ship to make a final decision about whether or not to see Belize. I think part of me might be very happy to enjoy a day resting, swimming, and enjoying the ship.

We're booked on the X-Stream combo sip line and cave tubing next month. I spoke with my doctor last Friday about this issue and he said it's a bigger issue if we were going to be camping out in the rainforest for a week. Standing water is where the problems arise, not in a flowing river. If you follow the CDC directives completely you'd have to stay out of Mexico, Belize and Roatan as well as a good portion of South America. If people want to stay on the ship the whole time, take a transatlantic crossing with no ports. With simple precautions this should not be a big issue.

My wife and I used a Deep Woods Off type product with Deet and we had no problems with the mosquitos. Everyone that we know that went cave tubing had no problems with the mosquitos either.

The Bot fly and Mosquitos are all over the Caribbean not just Belize....just take precautions at every stop...and don't get bit by anything.

Chances:

one in a million!!!

Remember there are thousands of tourists every week arriving in Belize that leave just as healthy as they came!

There is all sorts of disease in the tropics...like malaria!

Do not get bit...use sunscreen and insect repellant~

and have fun!

Note:

Been to Belize four times without insect repellant:eek: (kept forgetting to bring it) and never had a problem.

just got back from cavetubing ..wore 25% deep woods off ..4 of us and no bites...don't let the hype scare ya ..I felt sorry for the wimpys who didnt leave the ship and missed seeing another country and innertubing down an underground river....bring a water-proof camera ...some unforgettable shots as your entering and leaving caves and one spot inside where the cave opens up and the jungle is creeping in from above...

Yes we saw some skeeters ...but they didnt like the way we smelled:D

It didn't seem like our guide was covered in bots.....im sure he has never worn insect repellent in his life...

Archived