Odyssey, Sept 6, Alaska questions

lesliedrew

I’ve just booked a ten day Alaskan cruise on the Odyssey for Sept 6 and have some questions that aren’t answered on the Seabourn website.  I called Seabourn and want to clarify their answers with some Cruise Critic experienced travelers.

Jackets provided by Seabourn:  Are they fairly light weight jackets that will protect you from wind and rain but not provide much warmth?  Or do they have a warm lining?  Does one need to bring down, fleece or wool for warmth?  Parkas for Antarctica and the Bering Sea were very heavy and provided all the necessary warmth.  I have a feeling that ones for this cruise are lighter.

Shorex cancellations:  Was told that one can cancel a Shorex up to three days before sailing without penalty.  Later than that there can be a penalty of up to 100%.  You can’t know the penalty until you discuss it on the ship.  I was going to pick all my excursions now and perhaps change one or two after sailing.  Is that a bad idea?  I might decide I’ve seen enough whales and would rather have a crab feast!

Wet/Dry landings:  Are the zodiac landings generally dry … don’t need tall, Bogs type boots.  You don’t step off into water?  Regular short or ankle shoes will work?

Comments and other tips appreciated.  Thanks for your help.

2 hours ago, lesliedrew said:

I’ve just booked a ten day Alaskan cruise on the Odyssey for Sept 6 and have some questions that aren’t answered on the Seabourn website.  I called Seabourn and want to clarify their answers with some Cruise Critic experienced travelers.

Jackets provided by Seabourn:  Are they fairly light weight jackets that will protect you from wind and rain but not provide much warmth?  Or do they have a warm lining?  Does one need to bring down, fleece or wool for warmth?  Parkas for Antarctica and the Bering Sea were very heavy and provided all the necessary warmth.  I have a feeling that ones for this cruise are lighter.

Shorex cancellations:  Was told that one can cancel a Shorex up to three days before sailing without penalty.  Later than that there can be a penalty of up to 100%.  You can’t know the penalty until you discuss it on the ship.  I was going to pick all my excursions now and perhaps change one or two after sailing.  Is that a bad idea?  I might decide I’ve seen enough whales and would rather have a crab feast!

Wet/Dry landings:  Are the zodiac landings generally dry … don’t need tall, Bogs type boots.  You don’t step off into water?  Regular short or ankle shoes will work?

Comments and other tips appreciated.  Thanks for your help.

We are on this voyage as well.  Here is a suggested packing list, with a link to ordering your jackets.

https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/luxury-cruise-destinations/alaska-experience-packing-list.html

19 hours ago, lesliedrew said:

Thanks.  I have that information.  It shows a picture but doesn't describe the jacket.  I'm hoping someone who has recently done the cruise will give a bit more information.

Sorry, I should have mentioned it has a warm inner lining and we found it plenty warm enough on our last visit to Alaska.