Viking Prague Extension

milling73

We are on the 3 night Prague extension for Viking river cruise. First of all, I highly recommend visiting Prague, it must be one of the most interesting, beautifully full of old-world charm cities of Europe. The old center is very walkable, albeit tennis shoes are highly recommended, and nearly everyone wears them, as most streets and sidewalks are cobblestone. 
On hotels, Viking uses several. We are in the Hilton, and I urge anyone to stay in a different hotel - closer to the Old Quarter!  The Hilton while beautiful, is more in the business district, there is nothing of tourist interest nearby, and only 1 good restaurant, outside of the hotel itself.  It is quite a distance to walk to Old Town areas and it is very easy to loose one’s way in a mish-mash of street junctions, and street names that do not appear on tourist maps. 
Also while fairly easy to take a taxi to the Old Town, it is very difficult to find a taxi from Old Town. There are no taxi stands near the Square, nor at the Prague Castle that we saw. 

I was there last fall definitely see what you are getting at. Amawaterways also uses the Hilton (another ships group was there at the same time) but my group was put up a few streets over from there at the continental? I think it was 

I believe that the higher rated hotels are in that area vs in old town. There are few good places to eat around the powder tower in the way to old town. 

also beware the taxis. Prague is infamous for cabbies who pray on tourists to pay many times what they should. Usually starting by hiding or saying the meter is broken. 

and yes make sure you have a phone with a map or something. Especially at night  Those tight streets don’t always go straight. 

really good place to visit though. 

reccomend looking up “honest guide Prague” on YouTube for some info on being a tourist in the town and some warnings about its less great side. 

Edited by CastleCritic