Photocopy Passport??

I would object STRONGLY if anyone wanted to hold my passport for me. IF (and a big if) I did give it up to RCI I'd get a receipt for it.

As far as photocopy... YES ... several. Bring one with you (keep it in a place OTHER than where you keep your passport. leave a copy with a contact at home as well. I "scanned" mine to copy it and if I have my laptop with me (this time I wont) there's a copy on that as well

Are you not a US citizen? There's another thread on here that discusses this very issue. The original poster is not a US citizen though. You might want to check out that thread.

I never, ever carry my passport when leaving the ship or traveling in a foreign country. Always carry the photo copy and leave the original in the safe on the ship or at the hotel. If your purse is stolen with your passport you are in big trouble. A photo copy is perfectly acceptable ID.

As an ex-TA and a seasoned traveler I can vouch for the fact that a theft can happen to anyone. I was ripped off in a foreign country. Thank goodness my passport was safely back on the ship. They only got the copy. Trust me, it only takes a few seconds to have your attention diverted.

Make several photocopies and leave one at home with whomever you leave your itinerary with.

I agree with the previous posters. I make 3 copies. I leave one at home with my emergency contact, 1 on the ship in a different place than the original, and one to carry with me into ports. I've never had to use it other than at customs. I've been told, if you do get asked by an authority figure while in a port, that a photo copy was sufficient. Happy Cruising! Andros/ Tony

If you are not a US citizen or cruising Europe they may hold your passport.
This is true. Even if you have a pre or post cruise hotel in Europe, the hotel may keep your passport. So I usually carry a copy because businesses may want to see it for identification purposes for travelers checques or credit cards. The one thing to be cautious about - I believe with all of the homeland security legislation that it might be illegal to photocopy a passport - so if you do, make sure you clearly mark across it that it is a copy.

While Nordic30's caution about photocopying a passport are well intentioned they are not factual.

We renewed our passsports in September 2003 and the following quote is from page 3, item 4 of the passport under the heading of "BEFORE YOU TRAVEL ABROAD".

"Make sure you have a signed, valid passport and foreign entry visas, if required. Make two photocopies of your passport ID page. Leave one at home with family/friends. Carry the other with you in a place separate from your passport."

There is no requirement to mark it as a copy or to jump through any other hoops. You only need to with copy the front and back of the ID Page. We had ours photo reduced to wallet sized and laminated.

Archived