Hotels in Galveston

Hi

Going on the "Rhapsody" in April

Been looking at hotels in the area for one night.

Looking at Gaido's Seaside Inn good rate.

Question for you Galveston people. Is this a ok hotel.

What it near by walking distance to see and do from Gaido"s?

thanks for your input.

John :)

We are staying in Galveston at the Gaido in April. Have never been there, but we like the price very much. Our only problem is they don't have shuttle service to the pier. We rented two vans for our 11 people to drive from Houston, but will turn one van in the day before the cruise and shuttle people to the pier in the other van, then turn it in on the day of the cruise. We figured any last minute shopping can be done with the van. Are you without transport?

I Live about 40 minutes from Galveston. Gaido's is your basic, classic seaside motel. Somewhat dated (60's/70's style), but known to be clean & safe. The Commodore is this way also. It is located on the seawall, so there is lots of souvenier shops, eateries, and beach access. Don't expect much for a beach compared to the caribbean, Galveston is known for it's "chocolate milk" water.

The seawall is the opposite side of the island from the pier(s) (the strand district). Not walkable (safety & distance), but about 5 minutes by car. As stated above, you may want to consider a hotel with free shuttle, free cruise parking, or both. Many name brands on the seawall, wide range of price & luxury. There are some "dives" on the seawall, but all the big names will be fine.

We are staying in Galveston at the Gaido in April. Have never been there, but we like the price very much. . Are you without transport?

Hi

I too like the price.

I plan on Flying into Houston on April 8th.Take Galveston Transportaion Service from Houston the Galveston...See the sites of Galveston that afternoon and then take a cab to the dock on Sunday the 9th.

We go to Galveston at least once a year. Gaido's is a simple motel - not a hotel by any means. I've never been inside but it does appear to be a very dated (older) motel. I'm sure nothing real fancy here but ok for a one night stay. We always stay at the Casa Del Mar CondoHotel! Galveston is not a beautiful ocean resort town, It is in the gulf. Water is brown not blue, beaches are not white sand. It has a very different feel than ocean towns say in Fl or Cal!! We honeymooned in Galveston so it holds some fond memories for us over the years. The don't miss thing is Moody Garden's. They have a rain forrest, aquarium, discovery space museum, Imax & lots of neat things. They also have a realy $$$$ nice hotel!!!

My husband and I stayed at the Galvez. We had a room for $99 right before Christmas. We had a free shuttle over to the ship. Got first class treament and I want to go back to the Galvez just to enjoy. Best of all- woke up in the morning to see our ship- Rhapsody for our hotel window. :) We had nice places to eat and we could walk all around just checking out the sites. We were right on the sea wall so could enjoy the view. I thought the money was well spent. Hope that helps? Gabrielle

What about the LaQuinta in Galveston? Anyone with experience there?

Thanks,

Hypo

I have stayed at both Laquintas on the island, but not for cruises. The Laquinta Inn (around 14th st) is a basic no-frills Laquinta. It gets a lot of beach traffic, so it is a little worn, but clean and safe. I don't know if they offer cruise parking, but I would not trust their parking for an extended period. It is way too open and accessable with no fencing or monitoring.

The Laquinta Inns & Suites is farther south, I think around 63rd street (maybe 66?). Their parking is better, and suitable for a cruise length (if they offer it), but the hotel itself was a complete letdown. noise, smells, cleanliness, all lacking. We know others who have stayed at this property on different occasions and all have had the same experiences. I would do it again for the right price, but use this one as "plan B"

What about the LaQuinta in Galveston? Anyone with experience there?

Thanks,

Hypo

We stayed there last year,nice rooms, clean, good view of the water. Above poster are correct the water is nasty as is the beach sand.

Archived