New To Cruising

:) My husband & I will be taking RCCL (mariner of the seas) on March 4, 2007 and being first time "cruisers", we would like any suggestions and advise on what to bring and some "short cuts" that could make things more roomy & fun. We're really looking forward to this & am very excited.

First timer hints:

Take a change of clothes and toothbrush, any prescriptions and necessary items in a "carry-on"--sometimes it takes a while before your luggage gets to your cabin...

Board as early as you can and head right on up to the buffet...then familiarize yourself with the ship...

Make any hair or spa appointments as soon as you board...Good time slots, like before dinner on formal night, go fast...

Check out your dinner seating assignment right away...if it's wrong (like you wanted early and they gave you late or vice versa...or you wanted a large table with others and they put you at a small table or vice versa) see the Maitre d' immediately--he'll usually be stationed right outside the dining room that first afternoon...They'll accommodate changes first come, first served...

Other than that, kick back, get a drink, relax...Cruising is far easier than other forms of vacation...It's all laid out for you on a daily schedule delivered to your cabin the night before...Check it out each day and circle the things you don't want to miss...carry it with you if you can...

Have fun...

Bring a good attitude and don't try to do 'everything' it's to much work. There's tons of what to bring/pack threads... the over the door shoe rack is great.

Think about camera/pictures as well. Purchase any underwater disposable cameras before you leave, as they can be twice as much while cruising. If you've gone 'digital for "dry" cameras be sure you have enough storage and batteries (or don't forget your charger)

As far as camera/laptop/ other electrical things, there's minimal amount of plugs in the cabin, so a power strip comes in handy, and a clock can be nice if you want an alarm without wake-up calls .

Mariner was DW and my first cruise... you'll have a blast! We're off on our second cruise 2 days after you..

HAVE FUN!!!

Board as early as you can and head right on up to the buffet...then familiarize yourself with the ship...

Have fun...

Also remember.. you probably CAN board before the time on your documents... I think as early as 11:00AM

The thread that you want to go through is called "Think your an Expert" and I think right now you can find it on about page 4. It has everything that you can imagine. Lots of good advice and great tips.

Have a wonderful cruise and a great time planning!!

Let them know you are a first time cruiser and ask to water ski off the back of the ship on your first sea day.

If you have a balcony cabin you can also borrow a rod and reel and do some fishing....:D

Could you please tell me how to get to it, I'm not sure I'm in the right area.
If you're talking about the tips thread... try here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=103710

If you're talking about Jerry's barbque.. I think it went overboard... someone said superjerryw is throwing a barbque:D

Archived