HMS Q.E. 1 Memorabilia

sthgir

I have several items, mostly mint condition, luggage tags, postcards, and two sheets of writing paper from my sailing on the Queen Elizabeth 1 , in 1964. Is there a market for this memorabilia?

There probably is a market for memorabilia.

By-the-by, she wasn't (isn't) HMS (Her Majesty's Ship), but I think she was RMS (Royal Mail Ship).

I believe the former is reserved for military vessels, and perhaps other ships owned by the government.

Druke,

You are a sad old pedant the same as me!

Queen Elizabeth (not 1) was indeed an R.M.S., i.e. a Royal Mail Ship, a distinction given to relatively few vessels entrusted with the task of delivering the Royal Mail = British, post around the Empire.

I would think that any artefacts from Queen Elizabeth are particularly collectable, especially considering her unseemly demise in the fire in Hong Kong harbour.

You might well find that Cunard themselves are interested, given that they have a new ship to fit out, namely Queen Victoria. They will be desperate to find stuff to persuade naive punters that she is a proper Cunard liner.

Your items are not really valuable but certainly collectable. Ebay lists this kind of material under the sub-heading of Collectables/Transportation/Boats, Ships/Cruise Ship, Ocean Liner. After you get to Cruise Ship, Ocean Liner you will see a space on the top left for you to type in the name Queen Elizabeth. Click on "show items" and you will see what Queen Elizabeth items are being auctioned on eBay at the moment. I just checked and there were 231 items listed. This will give you an idea about what your own ephemera is worth, at least on eBay auctions. Good luck!

Archived