Just off the Joy 7/31

TenForward

This trip was a long time coming having been cancelled Easter of 2020 due to Covid.  It was our first with family and were surprised by friends as well, bringing our group to 8. 

Embarkation was pretty smooth….We arrived about 10:00 and parked at the pier.  Security was fast – about 15 minutes.  Check-in took longer at about 45 minutes.  Waited another 15 minutes in the waiting area and were onboard by 11:15 ish.

Cocktails and sail-away at Spice H2O. 

Dinner our first night at Savor was underwhelming.  Those who had pasta or fish did okay but 3 of us ordered beef and all was inedible. Literally.  Half of it ended up in my napkin.  The remaining half stayed on the plate, not even able to cut it with a steak knife.  It was strange because it was cooked to a perfect medium rare as requested but nearly impossible to cut with a steak knife.  I’m finding the quality of meat at my grocery store is not what it used to be either.  Perhaps NCL is having the same supplier issues. 

On another night, our server in Manhattan apologized profusely as he was overwhelmed with tables and was not happy about the level of service he was able to provide.  We told him not to worry about it, we understood but I’m sure there are people who aren’t as understanding.  When we placed our drink order he came back a few minutes later to tell us it would be awhile as the bar had run out of glasses.   Eventually we got our drinks – my husband’s scotch & soda came in a lemonade glass, lol.  All of the staff was very friendly and you could see they were really working HARD. 

After that first night, dinners at Ocean Blue, LeBistro, Teppanyaki , Taste & Manhattan were all very good with LeBistro being #1.  Our server at Taste told us the ship was full with 4,300 passengers & 1,200 -ish (I forget exactly) crew.  The ship did feel crowded to me.  Usually on day 2 or 3 the crowds seem to settle down as people find their space but that didn’t happen on this cruise for me. 

We spent most mornings at Spice.  If you weren’t there by 7:30 you might not have a seat.  People were saving chairs in BOTH sun & shade.  Ridiculous. Does anyone know if Spice on the Joy is actually smaller than other ships?  It felt that way to me compared to Escape & Breakaway.  Water was rough on 2nd Sea day and made the hot tub fun with big waves rolling along that 35 person tub.  The bar ran out of pina colada mix – which is used in Pain Killers – so we switched to Dark & Stormys.   They did have more mix the next day.

The only show we tried to see was Elements (due to schedules, not lack of interest).  Unfortunately there was a safety issue with the floor that had been maintained the day before and the show was stopped about 10 minutes in… it looked like it would have been good though.  They said we would have priority to come the next night but we had other commitments. 

I played Bingo for the first time and won $350! (of a $2,800 pot but there were 7 other winners).

We had GREAT weather.  Did the Snorkeling trip with Rising Son which we’ve done before.  It was a lovely day and a great crew.  I will say while they do soak their snorkel gear in disinfectant, I did not see that same practice with their inflatable life vests which are required (or using a noodle) for snorkeling.

Took a taxi to Horseshoe Bay for the afternoon and it was perfect.  Water was warm and calm with just enough wave to be fun.   Tobacco Bay on day 2 was insane.  We got the last 2 chairs on the beach to share between 6 people.  No umbrella.  Music far too loud for me.  It was Emancipation Day/Cup Match so lots of taxis were off for the holiday.  We decided to stay close to the ship on the last day and went early to Snorkel Park.  It’s a small beach but was quite nice for us.  We had chairs, a shade tree & umbrellas.  Water was warm and calm.  Snorkelers said they saw lots of fish out by the reef.  Music was nice and not too loud 😄.   A lovely day.   Hit a few shops on the way back to the boat and had sail away on the balcony with cocktails and snacks.

Last sea day of hot tubbing at Spice and dinner at Taste.  All our meals aside from that first night were very good – including the buffet.

Debarkation was easy but long lines (we were in the last group to depart).  We sat in the Observation Lounge until the bitter end and then made our way out.  Customs was a breeze using facial recognition.  Elevator to the parking lot and we were off.

The day after we got home my sister-in-law tested positive for Covid.  So far the rest of us are negative but need to test again 5 days out.

Happy to answer any questions if you have them.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your review, good takeaway for me was to expect larger crowd than last year .booked vibe beach club for the week don’t like to hunt for chairs I’m not an early riser .our sail is in October.

8 hours ago, cruisingbooboo said:

Do you recall what you paid for the snorkel park? If you don’t want chairs do you still need to pay? Thanks 

We did the 2 person package which was $75 for entrance fees, 2 chairs, an umbrella and 2 bottles of water.  You don't have to rent chairs.  Entrance only was $15/pp.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for reporting on your cruise.

I am also interested in more information on snorkel park as there are a lot of mixed reviews.   

What was the cost to get in and then to rent chairs and an umbrella?   I also read that there is a lot of glass in the sand.  Did you find this to be true?  And do they sell drinks there?

1 minute ago, vacation44 said:

Thank you for reporting on your cruise.

I am also interested in more information on snorkel park as there are a lot of mixed reviews.   

What was the cost to get in and then to rent chairs and an umbrella?   I also read that there is a lot of glass in the sand.  Did you find this to be true?  And do they sell drinks there?

I can understand the mixed reviews... people who want a true Bermuda beach will not find it here... but it fit our wants/needs for that day.  They'd had a huge Cup Match party the night before and we did find a couple of pieces of glass just beneath our umbrella.  We had no issues walking barefoot in/out of the water.  There is food & bar service.  Someone got the chicken tenders & fries and they were good.  We were there early so it was on the quiet side.  They did crank up the music quite loud just as we were leaving (around 1:00).    See cost in my above post.   

14 hours ago, TenForward said:

The only show we tried to see was Elements (due to schedules, not lack of interest).  Unfortunately there was a safety issue with the floor that had been maintained the day before and the show was stopped about 10 minutes in… it looked like it would have been good though.  They said we would have priority to come the next night but we had other commitments. 

The day after we got home my sister-in-law tested positive for Covid.  So far the rest of us are negative but need to test again 5 days out.

Happy to answer any questions if you have them.

Thanks for the review! It is unfortunate that you didn't get to see Elements, it is fantastic! But now you just have to book another cruise in hopes of seeing it.

Sorry about the sister in law testing positive, hopefully the rest of you test negative and she has a speedy recovery.  

Great review!  We were on this sailing also it was our second time on the Joy.  We sailed not full occupancy in April and we fully knew it was going to be too crowded in July!  Bermuda was beautiful as always knew it was cup match week - Lots of crew were ending their contracts so lots of new crew onboard and in my opinion they went to full capacity too soon especially during summer out of NY.  On another social media site many are testing positive for covid which is to be expected/unavoidable, would not stop me from sailing again...we had a great time!

3 hours ago, TenForward said:

I can understand the mixed reviews... people who want a true Bermuda beach will not find it here... but it fit our wants/needs for that day.  They'd had a huge Cup Match party the night before and we did find a couple of pieces of glass just beneath our umbrella.  We had no issues walking barefoot in/out of the water.  There is food & bar service.  Someone got the chicken tenders & fries and they were good.  We were there early so it was on the quiet side.  They did crank up the music quite loud just as we were leaving (around 1:00).    See cost in my above post.   

Thank you.   I think we will head over to Horseshoe Bay again.

3 hours ago, andychris said:

I’m curious too about snorkel park. Is it worth it to get the shore excursion package or just walk over, pay admission and rent a couple of loungers?  

Word of warning, definitely wear water shoes or some footwear on that beach and when in the water.  Our family called it "razor beach" having had two of us get our foot cut on sharp rocks, etc.  Our fault: we weren't properly prepared.

7 hours ago, andychris said:

I’m curious too about snorkel park. Is it worth it to get the shore excursion package or just walk over, pay admission and rent a couple of loungers?  

Does it get very crowded?

Thank you!

It is literally walk over and pay admission.  Loungers are paid for at time of entrance if you choose to get them.   We left at 1:00 so it may get more crowded later but we didn't feel it -- having our space with chairs, etc. and more room than Tobacco Bay where the chairs are on top of you.   I did hear the same person who owns TB (not the beach, I know they're public) owns Snorkel Park as well.  Don't know if that's true. 

5 hours ago, summercruiser20 said:

Great review!  We were on this sailing also it was our second time on the Joy.  We sailed not full occupancy in April and we fully knew it was going to be too crowded in July!  Bermuda was beautiful as always knew it was cup match week - Lots of crew were ending their contracts so lots of new crew onboard and in my opinion they went to full capacity too soon especially during summer out of NY.  On another social media site many are testing positive for covid which is to be expected/unavoidable, would not stop me from sailing again...we had a great time!

I'm already booked in Dec. on the Getaway 😄  Was your first time on the Joy pre-Covid?  I'm curious your thoughts on this trip vs. your earlier one.  I've been on the Escape twice (my fave) and the Breakway.  The Joy seemed to have a different vibe to me and I'm not sure if it was the ship or being after Covid... or something else.

5 minutes ago, TenForward said:

I'm already booked in Dec. on the Getaway 😄  Was your first time on the Joy pre-Covid?  I'm curious your thoughts on this trip vs. your earlier one.  I've been on the Escape twice (my fave) and the Breakway.  The Joy seemed to have a different vibe to me and I'm not sure if it was the ship or being after Covid... or something else.

Good different or bad different. 
Do you remember the names of the bartenders in the vibe?

6 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

Thanks for the review! It is unfortunate that you didn't get to see Elements, it is fantastic! But now you just have to book another cruise in hopes of seeing it.

Sorry about the sister in law testing positive, hopefully the rest of you test negative and she has a speedy recovery.  

Thank you for the well wishes. 

We are booked on the Getaway NYE 😃  Not sure what entertainment they'll have but looking forward to whatever it is!

Just now, andychris said:

Good different or bad different. 
Do you remember the names of the bartenders in the vibe?

Oops, not that 'vibe' ... didn't go there this trip.  Just the overall feeling of the ship was different.  Not as much excitement.  The bars on the waterfront were very quiet - at least whenever we went by.

hi, thanks for your review of the Joy! We're booked to be on the Jade in October and was wondering    upon arriving for embarkation, if they scan everyone's QR code from their phone/print out of their covid vaccination proof? I have 3 different QR codes for the 3 vaccinations and am worried what if it doesn't scan properly? I don't have any way to check if they scan properly as nowhere else scans QR codes for vaccination proof anymore for a long time now. Or do they just look at the paper or at your phone which states the dates/type of shots you've had and that's all they care about, or do they check every QR code separately? I don't want to get denied boarding and sent home because of a technical glitch in the QR codes!

21 hours ago, traveler9999 said:

hi, thanks for your review of the Joy! We're booked to be on the Jade in October and was wondering    upon arriving for embarkation, if they scan everyone's QR code from their phone/print out of their covid vaccination proof? I have 3 different QR codes for the 3 vaccinations and am worried what if it doesn't scan properly? I don't have any way to check if they scan properly as nowhere else scans QR codes for vaccination proof anymore for a long time now. Or do they just look at the paper or at your phone which states the dates/type of shots you've had and that's all they care about, or do they check every QR code separately? I don't want to get denied boarding and sent home because of a technical glitch in the QR codes!

I'm not familiar with QR codes for proof of vaccination... I had a picture of my vaccine card (the kind with signatures after each dose) on my phone in case it was needed but I didn't even need to show that (although signs throughout security said to have it ready).  I think since Bermuda requires you send proof of vaccination in order to obtain the Travel Authorization (which we had) it was enough to show that.  

45 minutes ago, Diane67B said:

Thank you for the review! Hope your sister in law feels better soon. I was wondering what time did you actually get off the ship. My sister and want to be the last group off too but have plans in New York that day.

Last departure is 9:45.  It took us about 30 - 40 minutes to actually be off the ship.  Luggage, customs...we were in our car and on our way just before 11:00.

On 8/3/2022 at 5:36 PM, TenForward said:

First time on Joy was April 2022 so it was post covid (our 3rd sailing since he start up) It was definitely a different vibe without the crowds.  We did have alot of cancelled shows on that sailing since the crew tended to have covid at that time.  Service was much better but also it wasn't as busy - we just knew to expect an overwhelming amount of people sailing NY in the summer...I think NCL should have taken more time before sailing full speed ahead lol

• Like 1