Snuba anyone?

Pirates&Parakeets

• 2 weeks later...

My hubby and I did this as a shore excursion - the trip was offered by NCL. We just loved it. If you go to a spot just off shore of town, you snuba over an old shipwreak - lots of coral and fish.

• 4 weeks later...

I did this excursion just last week on my RCI Serenade cruise, and loved it. I've snorkeled some before, and thought that Snuba might be a segue to scuba for me. It was - I'll probably be scuba-certified before my next cruise.

We boarded a pontoon dive boat at a place called The Boatyard, which seemed to be a good place for those wanting to spend the afternoon on the beach and enjoy water activities. Our boat took a short ride along the beach (Pebbles Beach, I think) to a marine park, where we received instruction on the Snuba equipment. Four of us shared a raft with 2 air tanks on it, and air lines about 20 feet long. There were 3 rafts, so 12 of us total on the excursion. Each group had a guide in scuba gear, and we were led down about 20 feet to a couple of shipwrecks and a reef. Even though tethered to the raft that you shared with 3 other people, you had a nice amount of liberty in swimming around the wrecks.

The water here was the warmest of my Southern Carib. itinerary, though not the clearest. The shipwrecks were teeming with fish, more than the other places I dove during the week. We were underwater for about 25 minutes.

I think Royal Caribbean has a minimum age of 8 for their excursion, which seems young to me given the level of instruction we received. The youngest person on my particular excursion seemed to be about 14.

• 1 month later...

Archived