Icy Straight

doktor71

18 hours ago, happydaz said:

Has anyone had experience with the NCL Mountaintop Forest Tram in Icy Strait?  Do they take you to the TOP of the mountain or just to the first observation spot that the Free Tram takes you to?  Any information will be appreciated.

there a is free green gondola that runs between the 2 ship docks at sea level.  You can ride all day long.

there is a red gondola that goes up the mountain which costs, but after you pay you can ride all day. If you buy a zipline ticket, you get the red gondola included.

If you do the red gondola, at the top of the mountain is a golf cart style tram that costs and takes you around the forest on top of the mountain fora tour.  Didn’t do it.  There was also a free guided walking tour at the top.  I did the free walk instead.  (Last week).

ISP was my fav port stop. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

ISP is fabulous.  Wife and I are boarding NCL Spirit Wed. 8/24/22 to Alaska.  We hope to have some of the good fortune humpback whale watching that we experienced a few years ago in ISP.  We were on a small boat with two ladies we had just met.  One was a whale fanatic who follows whales the world over as she cruises. I know what you are thinking but she is no relation to Melville's characters from Moby Dick.  But she truly was a whale enthusiast.  She took no pictures, claimed they were all in her head. 

The captain has since retired so I can't recommend him.  It was late May and he told us they were feeding on exceptionally plentiful schools of herring at that time. These little fish were about the size of sardines.  It surprised me as I thought the humpback ate plankton mostly.  Well, we witnessed multiple occasions of bubble net feedings where the whales (about three, four, or five of them) churned the schools of herring up to the top and the humpbacks lurched high out of the water to capture them.  It was incredible

When we went back to our ship, we went to the garden cafe on deck eight for lunch.  Right outside the window and just below us, the humpbacks were bubble net feeding again.  It was a spectacular memory.

ISP blew Juneau away from a whale watching standpoint though we saw several Beluga killers which were unique but few humpbacks.  Well, that's my story.  Maybe I will put on a few pictures from our soon to be cruise.  If not, I will try to put on some of my wife's really great pics from before but not until we return.  Gotta finish packing.        

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2022 at 10:46 AM, JT1962 said:

Whale watching with Glacier Winds. If they are booked, try Hoonah Travel Adventures. Both were excellent.

Did you book tour through Cruise Line or on your own?   How far in advance did you book this tour?  How many people do they take on boat?
Any other info you can provide would be appreciated!

I booked both in Advance. Glacier Winds has 2 boats - 6 & 13 passenger. Book as soon as you know that is what you want to do, as they fill up quickly. 

Hoonah Travel Adventures boat was larger (maybe 20?), but still not crowded and everyone could see without crowding others. 

All of the boats had restrooms onboard and felt very safe.

On 8/6/2022 at 10:46 AM, JT1962 said:

Whale watching with Glacier Winds. If they are booked, try Hoonah Travel Adventures. Both were excellent.

15 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

I booked both in Advance. Glacier Winds has 2 boats - 6 & 13 passenger. Book as soon as you know that is what you want to do, as they fill up quickly. 

Hoonah Travel Adventures boat was larger (maybe 20?), but still not crowded and everyone could see without crowding others. 

All of the boats had restrooms onboard and felt very safe.

How far out did you book?  We sail May 2023.

3 minutes ago, doktor71 said:

How far out did you book?  We sail May 2023.

3-4 months with Glacier Winds and just a few days with Hoonah Travel Adventures because my original excursion that was booked with the cruise line was canceled 2 days before we arrived.

3 hours ago, JT1962 said:

3-4 months with Glacier Winds and just a few days with Hoonah Travel Adventures because my original excursion that was booked with the cruise line was canceled 2 days before we arrived.

So you would do Glacier Winds over Hoonah?