Tipping at the port? How much?

LovetheSea

4 hours ago, rbtan said:

Sorry. H e was not totally clear on how many people he tipped. Individually we would have tipped each 20% of the bill. We mostly don't do excursions, but go off on our own. That's why we tip a higher amount.

No worries. People tend to get worked up on any thread on here that has any mention of tips. 🙂 I tip higher too. I'm grateful to be able to and as some one who worked in tipped positions I know exactly how a bit extra can help - both emotionally and financially. But I'm not gonna raz someone for tipping 15% when there are lots who tips way less or nothing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fjord4Fun said:

I really don't see the logic of tipping more because you do not go on excursions.  I thought the argument for tipping was based on whether the person being tipped had done a good job (or went 'above and beyond') rather than on the travel preferences of the person doing the tipping.  Is that just another strange American custom?

And I don't get the logic of some people visiting areas with differing customs and then deliberately ignoring, challenging or ridiculing those customs. Isn't it an important aspect of travelling to experience the customs of those new places? Yet, here come all the "we don't do tipping in my country, so I will complain about it and refuse to participate" people whining about one of these customs as if it is beneath them. I just don't get the entitlement attitude of you people.  

Edited by PTMary
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, PTMary said:

And I don't get the logic of some people visiting areas with differing customs and then deliberately ignoring, challenging or ridiculing those customs. Isn't it an important aspect of travelling to experience the customs of those new places? Yet, here come all the "we don't do tipping in my country, so I will complain about it and refuse to participate" people whining about one of these customs as if it is beneath them. I just don't get the entitlement attitude of you people.  

Its a fair observation that cuts both ways.

Adopt the conventions of the destination, show respect for your hosts customs.
Your home customs are irrelevant.

What you do on ship may also need to change when you go ashore to avoid offence