Jetty at Cable or Cabbage Beach?

mikethedog

I love to snorkel, and want to do so at a free beach in Nassau. I have read hundreds of threads, some many times over, but I can't remember which beach has the jetty. Can anyone help? Thank you!!

Seventeen Days until the road trip to the port!!!!!!!!!!YEEEEHAWWW!!!!!:)

I love to snorkel, and want to do so at a free beach in Nassau. I have read hundreds of threads, some many times over, but I can't remember which beach has the jetty. Can anyone help? Thank you!!

Seventeen Days until the road trip to the port!!!!!!!!!!YEEEEHAWWW!!!!!:)

The jetty area that is on Cabbage beach (towards Club Med) is now overrun with construction cranes. I doubt we'll ever find good snorkeling down that way again after Atlantis destroys the rest of the natural habitat. The rocky area to the east (past Ocean Club), has some life left, but that's quite a walk, and construction has cause it to deterioate also.

Not much beach snorkeling at all. Overused reefs, too many boats, leeching lime etc have destroyed the reefs near the shorelines.

You'll have to take a boat tour to get any good snorkleing in.

Scubagirl...

Which beach would you recommend to just lay around and relax? Do either one of them have any shade? I love the beach, but can't stay in the direct sun all day.

Thanks!

Most tourist beaches are on the North Side of the island. THis means that any beach lined with trees or high rise hotels will have shade.

Cabbage Beach (Public beach at Paradise Island, is quite nice, water is sometimes rough. Cable Beach Hotel strip near Nassau Beach Hotel is calmer and there's plenty of palm trees and palapas for shade.

Thanks Scubagirrl !!

I really appreciate your honest response. It looks like there is really no decent alternative to Rose Island and the $40 or so dollars it would take to do it. I was just trying to save some $ and still get in some worthwhile snorkeling. Maybe I'll sell blood or something (haha).

I hope you continue to help me and others with their Nassau questions. I said it before and I'll say it again...you are a pearl.

Thanks Scubagirrl !!

I really appreciate your honest response. It looks like there is really no decent alternative to Rose Island and the $40 or so dollars it would take to do it. I was just trying to save some $ and still get in some worthwhile snorkeling. Maybe I'll sell blood or something (haha).

I hope you continue to help me and others with their Nassau questions. I said it before and I'll say it again...you are a pearl.

You're welcome.

Best thing I can tell you is if you can't take a tour.. bring along your own mask and snorkel... steal some bread and cheerios from the ship, and head to any beach with some rocks or dividing wall. Lighthouse beach or Wyndham rocks might be suitable. Not great snorkeling, no reef system, but you'll entice the fishes in the grassy areas. It's better than wishing you'd done something else. Trouble is.. these places don't have the best beaches.. somewhat rocky at Lighthouse, very small lagoon at Wyndham.

Thank you again, scubagirrl!!

That sounds like something doable for me. No problem about the lack of beach. I am just interested in the snorkeling and seeing some colorful fish.

Mask and snorkel already packed. Will need to pack suitable shoes and gloves for the rocks and I should be ready.

I really appreciate all the help.

Archived