Formal night...Don't wanna go

mgkdk

Frankly I was surprised that someone who has always supported the traditions of formal night would now say that a tux with a open collar shirt is now acceptable...

I think a tux with a shirt with an open collar is making a formal statement just as a tux with a mandarin collar and no tie is making a formal statement. I wear a tux but wear a regular silk tie, never a bow tie – I don’t think the tie makes the difference between formal and casual dress. You are absolutely right – the guidelines don’t mention ties and I support the guidelines – so I’m not sure why you are surprised that I would think a tie not necessary.

I will respectfully disagree with you. The areas you list do not require formal dress nor does the pool or hot tub. Nor does Princess state or imply what you stated anywhere.

When I was on the Sun and the Island Princess last year, I specifically asked about formal dress code ... cause I am one who does NOT like to get dressed up. I was assured that the "suggested" dress code applies to the dining rooms ... anytime or traditional ... and not to the casual dining options onboard ship. I was also told that many passengers chose to change into something more comfortable after dinner, and that was fine too.

Of course, this doesn't say you can walk around the ship looking like a slob at night. There is some standard of dress ... call it resort casual if you'd like. But on Princess, the dress code for the evening really only applies to the dining rooms, not to other areas of the ship.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I have cruised for about 40 years...I have seen everything from T-shirts to to the most elegant tuxes on formal nights at dinner...I can't recall seeing anyone who would wear a tux with a open collar shirt at dinner...They may have removed the tie later at a lounge...Frankly I was surprised that someone who has always supported the traditions of formal night would now say that a tux with a open collar shirt is now acceptable...You may very well be right...If trying to clarify a dress code question is "pressing the issue" then I plead guilty...I thought getting answers was one of the reasons for this board.

Well said. My Son is a classical musician and of course dress code has to be adhered to. No one would criticise anyone for removing their tie after a concert eg in a bar. I can believe that it is so difficult for people to grasp what is for most of us common sense and accepted throughout the world that a tie is worn with a shirt and suit and a black tie event is formal what it says it is.

Why all the objections! Is it just to be B minded and trying to prove a point or kick against something. There are plenty of ties around and who knows you may even need a BLACK tie to attend a FUNERAL!

There is no need for someone to go to the expense of hiring a tux or buying one and I feel sure that 99% of men own a SUIT.

Enough said.

I didn’t mean that it would – my thought was that the cruise line itself could provide the premium experience they used to if they put more money into the product. If the expectation of a premium experience went with the price, then maybe the staff and crew would be more apt to enforce those expectations like they used to when Princess was considered a premium cruise line. You’re right – money doesn’t equate with manners.

Perhaps Princess could take that extra money and provide each passenger with a "cruise uniform" for formal nights.

I don't know what % of the cruisers go formal on those nights but if only 30-40% do it wouldn't it be easier for all to select a specific dining room be limited to formal dress for that evening. Since Princess has so many dining rooms it should be easy. The passenger questionaire form could ask this and then the dining director could chhose the proper venue.

It looks like a majority of the passengers dress and the lines for photos are all over the ship.

Last year my 20 year old son nearly ended up in the dining room wearing a tux but no tie. Here's an excerpt from my cruise log from that trip.

Dressed in best bib and tucker (with surprise, surprise… both boys wearing their bow ties undone… frantically asking random passers-by if they knew how to tie them) we arrived for Captain’s Dinner for 8 p.m.

NB: My grateful thanks to the anonymous gentleman who came to my sons’ rescue and did their ties (this is the same gentleman that appears to be trying to encourage one son – the medical student – to befriend his daughter…perhaps he thinks his tie-tying skills will enhance her chances). It’s a pity no-one watched how he did it as we are going to have the same dilemma later on in the week!!

As an aside, I have not so fond memories from a our 2001 sailing. It was formal night and I'm afraid to say my 'middle child' swore while we in the lift and his comments were overheard by others. Naturally I was mortified. He was immediately grounded (along with the threat that I would be looking into the feasibility of us all leaving for home the next day). Needless to say, I took off my formal gown, put on more casual attire and headed for the laundry room. I did venture up to Horizon Court later that night for some supper and didn't feel out of place there.

Postscript: Said child was an angel thereafter.

Wouldn't it be easier for those that do not want to dress up to go on other cruise lines.

You know what you are in for when you book........if you don't wanna don't book!!!

No argument!!!!:p

Why, should we switch cruise lines because my DH does not wish to attend the formal dinners? We only dine in the dining room about half the nights and we skip dinner entirely the others (we are not that into food). The nights we dine in the dining room I dress in heels and usually a black cocktail dress and I'm usually overdressed. The formal nights we just enjoy on our own walking on the decks, sitting in the hot tubs, why should be downgrade to a different type cruise line? I assure you we are not hurting you in anyway by not attending your formal evening. Things are not always so "simple".

On the Caribbean Princess in February, the first formal night coincided with the Super Bowl...not good planning! Nobody was going up to the Lido Deck to watch the game in a tie or heels. Horizon Court was busy-as-ever with casual diners. And nobody was hurt or had any right to take offense.

Casual dining options exist (on Princess and other lines) for people who prefer casual dining.

Just watching some rappers get the Oscar for best song. Makes me laugh about people here complaining that not wanting to dress up in formal wear is disrespectful to other passengers.:rolleyes:

Compared to the other two songs up for the Oscar, the pimp song was just as good or better...

Not flaming you in any way, just curious

Why do passengers book a cruise on a line that has "formal dress up nights' then announce they are not going to do it?

Cruised on Celebrity last year, first night 7 of the passengers at the table were "resort casual" not "gussied up" just had changed into clean clothes after travelling to shiip. Diner #8 arrived, looking like she had thrown on grubby looking T shirt and jeans to take out the garbage, sat down and announced "This is a dressy as I get if you don't like find another table"!!!!!!

She was right , every night she arrived in jeans and T shirt, behaved badly, shook her finger at us when she spoke etc. always finding fault with how we dressed, ships we had chosen for previous cruises etc. Even called us "stupid" !

She could have chosen any line, there are lines that do not require "dress up" and she could have chosen to eat alone if she did not want to converse in a civilised manner.

Yes it was her vacation, but it was also our vacation. something she seemed to forget. I personally choose my line for a number of reasons including "ambience"

They were in formal wear before their performance.

Just watching some rappers get the Oscar for best song. Makes me laugh about people here complaining that not wanting to dress up in formal wear is disrespectful to other passengers.:rolleyes:

[To the OP not everyone wishes to dress up on formal night, while I love to play dress up my DH does not anymore, we've been on too many cruises I guess. So we comprise . . and skip formal night.

That's a compromise??????

Okay - here's a question that will blow your minds.

How would you perceive a couple who dresses formally every night - not just formal nights? Tux, formal gown, and jewels every night of the cruise?

Wouldn't you think they look ridiculous? Wouldn't you talk about them behind their backs for the rest of the cruise? Probably yes - why? Because they don't fit in with the rest of "society".

That's how I would feel if I wasn't dressed formally on formal night. I'm not siding one way or the other, but I don't want to be the one being looked at and talked about. I've felt bad enough coming back from the spa around 6pm in shorts walking past the formals going to the early dinner.

Okay - here's a question that will blow your minds.

How would you perceive a couple who dresses formally every night - not just formal nights? Tux, formal gown, and jewels every night of the cruise?

Wouldn't you think they look ridiculous? Wouldn't you talk about them behind their backs for the rest of the cruise? Probably yes - why? Because they don't fit in with the rest of "society".

That's how I would feel if I wasn't dressed formally on formal night. I'm not siding one way or the other, but I don't want to be the one being looked at and talked about. I've felt bad enough coming back from the spa around 6pm in shorts walking past the formals going to the early dinner.

I would think they looked lovely! Why can't they dress up every evening if they choose to? Since my DH and I skip formal night, I dress up the other nights and I'm usually overdressed, it doesn't bother me, sometimes I wear what I would have worn to formal night on one of the other evenings.

I understand exactly what you're saying, but realize too that all the "early diners" stand in the elevator to go to the captain's cocktail party with people in swimsuits dripping wet from the pools, pass by folks in shorts and tshirts, etc. It is a rare cruise ship passenger who dresses in formal wear at 5:00pm when they don't dine until 8:30pm; it is also rare to find a person who is dressed formally at 5:00pm and stays that way until 1 or 2 in the morning.

I agree with this. We always have early dinner and we're ready to go to the cocktail party before 5. I would never expect someone who has late dinner to be formally dressed at that time. When I used to go to late dinner (before I had a child) i would still be out at the pool until 6:30.

IMO, you enjoy your cruise and I'll enjoy mine. If seeing a few people in less than formal clothes ruins your trip then you probably weren't having that great a time to start with.

Susan

I'm not sure of the point, weren't they just finished performing and in costume? What would you expect them to wear? They wouldn't have had any time to go change before their award was presented.

Archived