Soto's snorkeling excursion at Grand Caymen was excellent

PapaBear

Thanks to those who reccomended them.The guides were excellent. Very knowledgable. Gear was in very good shape. We had 12 people on the tour and we were four of them. The guides showed us the nurse shark which was about 4-5 ft long. Being that close it might as well of been 15 ft long. icon_eek.gif We also got to see two different moray eels. The guides lured them out with squid then held them for us. The best was when we were at Stingray city. We got to hold Darth Vader, the oldest stingray at the sandbar. She is partially blind and estimated at 35-40 years old. She was the only black sting ray there, hence her name. She was like a puppy dog going from person to person on our tour looking for kisses. She actually curled her "lip" up as you went to kiss her. She stood with us the whole time there. She was incredible. The guides said she has been there since the late sixties. Don't know if she is a Soto's exclusive. No one back at the ship we spoke to had seen her.

It was funny to see the crowds at the other tour boats. We had all the space and stingrays we needed.

The videographer was excellent. He was in full scuba gear and got excellent shots. We received the DVD in two weeks. It has a Carribean music soundtrack to it. THe footage is phenominal.

I just wish we were at Grand Caymen longer. We set sail at 2PM (1PM) island time, so we had to cut the trip a little short, but we still made all three stops. It was well woth losing the half hour. Kudos to Soto's and VIP Productions

I'm glad to hear you had a positive experience with Soto's. I'm taking my first cruise (with my husband and 4 other friends on Carnival in July) and was stongly considering Soto's over booking the online excursion offered on the ship. I do belive you just made up my mind.

My only concern is the snorkling part. None of us have ever snorkled. Will we be able to learn how quickly enough to enjoy two of the three stops?

And, the DVD...was it expensive?

snorkeling is very easy. The guides will show you what to do. They also have life vests you can wear if you like. It was our daughters (10 & 12) first time. They had no problem and needed no asistance. You should be fine. In five minutes you will be like a fish. The DVD was around $62, the tape was $50 something. Well worth the cost IMO

Good to hear you enjoyed them. We tried them when they were fresh and starting out and loved them.

Fascination 1997 Destiny 2000

Victory 2000 Sensation 2001

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

NCL Dawn 2003 Inspiration 2003

Victory 2004 Holiday 2004

PAPABEAR--Can you give me more info on Soto's? Website? We will be cruising on the Triumph July 10-17 and would like to snorkel in Cayman. We don't want to use the cruise line's excursion.

7/10/04 Carnival Triumph

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;7;10;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Carnival Holiday 6/94

Carnival Paradise 7/99

Celebrity Century 7/02

We used Soto's in April and had a great time! The sea was real rough so I didn't snorkel - my husband did though and loved it. We loved Stingray City. We got to hold Darth Vader and give her lots of kisses also. What an experience. We also bought the DVD - we watched it again last night. It is worth the money. Something you have to treasure for a life time. If we ever go back to Grand Cayman we will use Soto's again. They did a great job!!!

luvscruzin, the website for Soto's is www.sotoscruises.com/. Being able to meet Darth Vader and interact with her was incredible. All the stingrays were tame, but she had a unique personality. Not sure if she is there for every Sotos excursion. You may want to e-mail them and find out. She was one of the reasons why we purchased the DVD. Everyone we showed the DVD to so far cannot believe her disposition. The other stingrays you would hold, then they would leave you. Darth Vader would stay with you as long as you petted her and showed her affection. My daughters are bringing the DVD to their schools to show their classmates. icon_eek.gif

Archived