Question re: Costa Tendering in Cozumel

stillsailing

Traveling 4/9 on the Magica. We are in Cozumel only 8am - 1pm. Am anticipating the difficulties of tendering coupled with the fact that we are only there for 5 hours! (On the positive, the Magica is only one of two ships scheduled to be in Cozumel that day; Star Princess being the other).

Could someone share info on where their Costa ships have tendered to?

i.e. Did you tender to downtown, Punta Langosta? or south of town, Puerta Maya? etc.

Is there some shopping available close to the tender area at Puerta Maya?

I am wondering if we can enjoy some beach time and still pick up a few Tshirts, etc. near the tender area that morning.

We are facing another half day stop, (12pm - 6pm), at Grand Cayman also on this cruise.

Your info and advice would really help!

I forgot what peir it is but cozumel is tiny... you wont have a problem taking a taxi for about 4$ to downtown.

Keep in mind there are plenty of shops right at the pier, but evertyhing is more expensive. cigars, booze, crafts... everything is negotiable and cheaper downtown. Start at the "forum shops" and work your way back to the pier.

I also recommend you have some good mexican food at "las palmeras"!

Another 5-6$ to hit the beaches. The beaches are pretty bad though... hurricane damage.

Just came back Feb 26. we tendered at Cozumel...not sure of the port though. The shopping was right there...expensive and much too Canadian/American for me. The cabs are cheap. For 6 dollars, four of us took a ten minute cab to a beach. We paid 9 dollars each for mask, fins, and life jacket...and could have snorkeled all day. The beaches are in terrible shape and the coral reefs are dead. The beach people told us that before we rented the equipment...that really impressed me. We went to a little bar/eatery and had drinks and munchies...and still were back to the ship early.Have a great trip...you picked a wonderful cruise line...we were on the Mediterranea!:) :) :)

Kits, Since you traveled to the beach from the tender pier, do you remember what beach that you might have gone to? Was it rocky? If you snorkeled directly from the beach, I'm wondering if it was Dzul Ha.

Also, do you think it is a problem to tender, taxi to the beach and back, & pick up a few things at the pier in a 5 hour stop. On our 4/9 cruise, the Magica is in Cozumel from 8am -1pm only. Thanks!:)

Oops! Found info re: this question in old posts. :o See, 4/16 Magica: Any recent travelers to Cozumel? & Review of 1/15 Cruise of Magica.

These indicated that Costa has anchored just off the Maya pier and tendered in; this is the spot south of town that Carnival usually docked at --- a 5 minute cab ride or 35 minute walk into town. Posters report that rental cars are available, (Avis, Budget, Alamo), and that the shops are all open again.

Archived