Camp Carnival/After 10 pm group babysitting question

ljrfrm

We would like to attend shows/hang out a bit at night. I don't mind paying the $6 an hour rate to make sure my youngest son (3 1/2) is well taken care of...but I'm concerned that he'll be way too overtired and cranky the next day if he doesn't sleep. I know they say to bring them in PJ's and they have places for them to sleep, but my question is, Do they really sleep? Is it quiet or crazy there at night? Just curious.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;06;27;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Paradise 6/27

Hi! I cruised on the Pride in 2002. After 10 PM in the kids club (toddler area, I don't know about older kids), there were mats set up on the floor with sheets like mini beds, the lights were very low and a Disney type movie was playing. All of the kids were encouraged to lie down and watch the movie. It seemed very calm and quiet. If your son is tired he should have no trouble falling asleep (unless his attention is held by the movie).

Hope this helps!

Lisa

Lisa

Thanks. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I was hoping they'd separate the young ones....I know my older boys are fine staying up and hanging out there, but if my little one is really tired, at least I know he can crash. Sounds good!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;06;27;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Paradise 6/27

My then 4 year ol last February loved Camp so much he wanted to go to babysitting. He would go, lay down and promptly fall asleep. We would pick him up and he would wake up the following morning. It was very quiet and peaceful.

No longer cruiseless...donations still accepted! Miracle 2/2005

Last cruise

Sensation 2/17/03

We cruised on the Victory over New Years. I put my son in babysitting twice. He was 11 months at the time. He never fell asleep but we always went back and got him about 11:30. I did see parents with older kids though and some actually put their kids to sleep in their rooms and then brought them (while sleeping) to camp carnival and they would just lay them down on the mats to continue sleeping. This might be an idea.

<C>

Celebration 12/18/04

Victory 12/28/03 HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Pride 08/31/02

Sensation 12/29/01

"Big Red Boat" 7/17/99

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=2211ff&cdt=2002;08;31;10;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600 </C>

Last time we cruised my son....then 7 went to the after hours PJ party. He and his friends stayed up the entire time. The younger kids were all sleeping.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;10;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

06/04 Holiday Cruise

Nordic Empress 10/92

Ecstasy 10/98

Holiday 10/02

The putting him to sleep in the cabin is a pretty good idea....not sure if he'd wake up or not when taking him out again....we've never tried anything like that. Thanks everyone for your ideas. The last time we cruised was 15 years ago for our honeymoon....back then we just did whatever we wanted whenever we wanted to...life has sure changed! Now I need to figure out what to do at night with my 12 y.o. My 9 y.o. is easy, he'll stay at Camp Carnival....he's not one to like to wander. I've never given my 12 y.o. freedom to wander, but I'm sure he'd be bored at camp. Any ideas????

Paradise 6/27

I allowed my 12 yr old last yr the freedom to stay in the room and watch a movie on Carnival TV...you can rent a movie at the Pursers desk.

Just be sure to check on him/her at times.

Sailing to a dream place.....come along with me

My oldest was still awake with her new friends (8 years old) but my 6 year old was fast asleep.

The counselors are very good about keeping things quiet. MOST of the kids were asleep by 11:00. I cannot say enough about the after hours sitting. It's a great way for parents to get some adult time and not have to worry who's watching your children.

That's why we love cruising so much! It's truly a vacation for the WHOLE family. The kids love it!!

Ecstasy,E.Caribbean Oct.1993

Holiday,W.Caribbean Jan. 1995

Festivale, S.Caribbean Feb.1996

Sov. of the Seas, Bahamas Jan.1998

Ecstasy, Bahamas Mar. 2000

Victory, Canada, Jun. 2001

Sensation, W. Caribbean, Jun.2002

Paradise, E. Caribbean, Apr. 2003

Triumph, E. Caribbean, Apr. 2004

ships23image1_th.gif

Ship.gif

Carnival does not offer in cabin babysitting but some other lines do. On this one I have to agree with Carnival. I'd rather not have my child alone in a cabin with a stranger. I completely trust the camp program but would be uneasy allowing the incabin sitting.

As for the kids sleeping. When my daughter was younger she always went to sleep at 4 it's a 50/50 shot. But it is a quiet, low light time.

Fascination 1997 Destiny 2000

Victory 2000 Sensation 2001

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

NCL Dawn 2003 Inspiration 2003

Victory 2004 Holiday 2004

Does anyone know Carnival's policy with kids staying in the cabin alone, I have three, 12,5 and 4. The 12 yr old babysits all the time(makes good money too) and has taken the babysitting corse at our college. We aren't partiers, but would probably want to catch 1 late night show. I feel o.k. to let them stay alone, would Carnival object?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;12;11;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0600

12/11 Carnival Holiday Mobile, AL to Mexico

As long as you have the 12 year old I do not see Carnival having a problem. Remember Carnival lets you book your children into a seperate cabin so why would they object to them being alone. It isn't right for everyone but if your child is a babysitter at home, then it should not be an issue. May I suggest a set of good walkie talkies is you go this route?

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

If your 12 y.o. is a babysitter, I would think it's fine. My problem is my 12 y.o. has never babysat for us, and I don't think a cruise is the best time to start. I think I will just take the kids to camp and see how they do. It's 11:15 pm right now and we were out at a friend's house....my 3 y.o. just went to bed. Yes, we will pay for it tomorrow icon_smile.gif But, I saw how tired he just was and it made me think that if given a pad and sheets and a disney movie, yes, he would go to bed at camp carnival if he was tired. I don't plan on going out each night, because I'm sure I'll be tired too...so - I'll just give it a shot and hope it works out. I agree about the in-cabin babysitting..it makes me much more nervous. The slumber party sounds perfect. Thanks everyone for your help.

Paradise 6/27

I have to tell you, I think your 12-yr old would have a blast at the after 10pm "sleepover" Our 11-year old stayed the entire time (until 3 I think?) per HIS request, since they told them about it during regular camp carnival, which he wanted to stay for the entire cruise. For that age group, they keep them in a separate area and they do all kinds of fun stuff with them, then one of the counselers walks them back to the cabin at 3 in the morning. He LOVED it!!!! Don't assume he'll be bored. The pre-teens had a blast from what I saw. Our little ones, 2 and 5 at the time were both sound asleep when we went to pick them up at around 1:30am to carry them back to the room. My 5-yr old was upset when she woke up in the cabin the next morning, she thought it was a "sleepover" and wanted to wake up with her friends!! Camp Carnival is AWESOME!!

11/03 Fantasy

4/03 Sensation

5/02 Sovereign of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;8;8;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until the Destiny

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;11;27;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until our Enchantment of the Seas Family Reunion

Why do you think we're taking the kids on 2 cruises this year? icon_wink.gif Cruising is the way to go when it comes to family vacation. Don't be suprised when the kids don't want to spend time with you! They even take them for dinner on some nights as well. Have a GREAT time!

11/03 Fantasy

4/03 Sensation

5/02 Sovereign of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;8;8;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until the Destiny

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;11;27;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until our Enchantment of the Seas Family Reunion

1. There is no room sitting available.

2. Sitting service is available from 10 PM to 3 AM every night at $6/hr. The fee is rounded to the closest 15 minutes. a 40 minute sitting will cost $4.50. Sitting is also available on port days from 8 AM to 12 PM or until you return from your visit/excursion for the same rate. We used the service 3 nights on our Elation cruise last week.

3. Blankets and pillows are spread on the floor right in front of the huge video screen, and the kids lie down side by side. There are also cribs available for the youngest ones. We put our 2 1/2 year old DS in a crib one night.

4. The camp Carnival girls are just excellent. They take very good care of the kids, and we were just amazed. Wish we could find the same where we live!

I didn't realize they charge babysitting on Port days....I thought it was the regular camp carnival and they only charged at night. We plan on using them only on one port day - I told my older boys that they can pick one shore excursion where my 3 y.o. will stay on board. The rest of the time I wanted to include him.

Paradise 6/27

I know that the minimum age for Camp Carnival is 2, but is the nighttime babysitting service available for children under 2?

Jan

Atom.gif

NEXT CRUISE - MIRACLE 2/13/05!

Triumph, Inspiration, Holiday, Explorer of the Seas, Granduer of the Seas, Glory, Conquest, Sensation

Originally posted by Brneyznfl:

I know that the minimum age for Camp Carnival is 2, but is the nighttime babysitting service available for children under 2?

Jan

Jan,

Camp Carnival provides babysitting to infants under 1, as long as they are of the age that Carnival allows to board(Not sure what it is). They will change diapers if you leave them with supplies, and will feed the baby as well!

4 months is Carnival's age limit to cruise (I tried booking a quicky while on maternity leave and no go)

Up to age 2 they have group babysitting 10 pm to 3 am and port days and charge for this. Also, two hours a day of free play where children WITH PARENTS under two enjoy the playroom and this is free.

Children over two are not charged for staying at camp in port.

Daughter will be 7th or 8th cruise for 5th birthday so I have been doing camp for awhile. They have made some changes but only minor ones. Please mark all items with your child's name and cabin number.

Also, on a gross note, if at all possible mark your child's socks no matter what the age. They do take them off and one time our daughter showed up with someone else's socks. I have saved them as a warped reminder.

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

Thanks for the info! My sister and her family want to take their first cruise. She's expecting a baby next month and I thought Carnival didn't offer babysitting for children under two so we were waiting for a couple of years to all travel together. She'll be excited to hear this. For children under 2, does anyone know the ratio of staff to children?

Jan

Atom.gif

NEXT CRUISE - MIRACLE 2/13/05!

Triumph, Inspiration, Holiday, Explorer of the Seas, Granduer of the Seas, Glory, Conquest, Sensation

Archived