Tell me about the turtle farm!

Cheeseboy

I appreciate that, Sheffie, and certainly don't mean to trivialize this issue in any way to those who are genuinely bothered by it. Just getting quite a chuckle lately in general about the overall angst in so many of the threads on these boards. Are we all really going on VACATION here, or to march on the Capitol?

I understood that. :)

Here, Here! Come on folks! We drive by BUffalo & cattle ranches (not raised for release!) & chicken ranches, & how 'bout Trout Farms! The Turtles aren't endangered, & the by-product use is monitored & limited.

I wouldn't tell little kids what the farms sells the Turtles for, but where else will they get to experience the wonder of holding the little guys! Don't buy the turtle products, if you don't want. I'm not in the turtle soup line either or wearing any turtle shell items, but they were fun to visit & touch.

Like Drew said, wild green turtles are an endangered species, just as the ones on the farm are, but for a different reason.

I didn't advocate for anyone to not go to the turtle farm. If you really want to see turtles, guaranteed, that is the place to go. I just was making the point that it is a FARM, just like a pig farm (but without the pig smell) and the turtles are raised as livestock, although they wouldn't be considered "livestock" in this country. It is just a cultural difference. People in non-US countries eat animals we wouldn't consider eating.

So go to the farm, hold the little turtles, don't tell your young kids the "gruesome" details if you don't want to, but don't expect a zoo-like environment.

cow.....chicken....lamb

come on .....

I got to tell you that I like turtle

sorry .... tell PETA

I don't think People Eating Tasty Animals will disagree with you.

We went to the turtle farm as part of an island tour on the Triumph three years ago. We were pretty fried from the sun, so thought it would be interesting. Hell was nothing to write home about...just a few photos...turtle farm was fine but remember it was very hot that day and no shade. The gift shop was nice. Amazing that these attractions are just in neighborhoods on the island!

wow....i must have been on the wrong turtle farm tour....cause I thought it was a very big waste of my time and money! Likewise, the trip to Hell!

the sting ray tour, on the other hand, was worth doing at least once!

To say the least, I was not much impressed with the stop at Grand Cayman, maybe again in a few years after they repair alot of hurricane damage. This trip, I will likely stay aboard ship, since there are 13 ships in port the day we are there, and that's alot considering that you tender in!

Beverly

Archived