2 man bubble sub

rollingstone

A friend formerly captained this sub.

You sit inside, and the captain operates the sub from the outside and breathes off scuba gear. You can give a try at driving yourself.

It is definitely a bit different, and a unique experience for people who have never been scuba diving.

• 3 weeks later...

We loved this excursion. I have a perforated eardrum so scuba diving was not an option for me. This allowed me to go down to see the fish and coral up close without causing any problems with my ears. We rode a small tender out to a boat where the bubble sub was anchored. Then we crawled inside the sub and sat down. It's very stable and there was plenty of room for both my husband and I. We're both 6 feet and "not small" individuals. It's a little scary when you first start dropping into the water because there is a built in reflex that "sinking is bad". However, it is absolutely beautiful and they threw some bread crumbs into the water so fish came right up to the sub as we submerged. Great distraction! :)

We stayed down for about 40 minutes I think. I was having so much fun looking at all the fish that it seemed to go by much more quickly than that. We had a great guy steering the sub behind us and telling us about all the fish that we saw and pointing things out. He let my husband steer the sub for a while in a place where we couldn't run into any coral. The whole experience was wonderful. Our guide was excellent and I have more pictures of fish than I'm sure anyone would want to see.

It is an expensive excursion, but I think it is well worth the price. This was our one big splurge on our trip and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I did this tour two weeks ago and it was great. Pricey, yes, but worth it. We did snuba diving in Hawaii and helmet diving in Bermuda, this is much better. It is very safe, the diver explains the safety features before you get in sub. Diver is in constant contact with you and you have a mike to talk to him. You can see pictures taken on a sub tour last year at: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bruce42@pacbell.net/album?.dir=/e974&.src=ph&.tok=phrIEIEBxDEtl_ZD

Word of advice - they only take eight trips a day (8 couples) and fill up quickly. So make your reservation through your cruise ship as soon as possible. I made our reservations three months in advance and they had only a few spots left open.

• 2 months later...
My husband and I did this tour two weeks ago and it was great. Pricey, yes, but worth it. We did snuba diving in Hawaii and helmet diving in Bermuda, this is much better. It is very safe, the diver explains the safety features before you get in sub. Diver is in constant contact with you and you have a mike to talk to him. You can see pictures taken on a sub tour last year at: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bruce42@pacbell.net/album?.dir=/e974&.src=ph&.tok=phrIEIEBxDEtl_ZD

Cup_a_coffee, how do they work the photo package for this tour? Do they take photos or video of your dive, and how much extra do they charge for it?

This looks like a unique experience, and my wife and I are thinking about it for our 2007 cruise.

Cup_a_coffee,

We have booked this excursion for our August 27 Freedom of the Seas cruise. I am a scuba diver, but my wife only snorkels and loves helmet dives. It looks like a wonderful experience. Your pictures as well as the purchased pics looked great. Like jtmalt, I would like to know how much their picture package costs. I know I will get it, but would like to know what price to expect, so when they tell me it won't be a downer. :D

Archived