Off The Beaten Path Alaska land tour

jinpasco

Anyone recently on this tour that has any advice ? We chose this over 2 years ago when things were " normal". Now,  I know we will need patience and understanding. We leave in a couple weeks so anything you can warn us of or not to miss  ideas is appreciated. Especially for those remote lodges. Thanks.

We did this tour in June. Fairbanks to Kenai. Fairbanks tours to Fox: Pipeline and Gold Dredge 8 were informative. Loved the Discovery riverboat along the Chena-bush plane take off and landing, seeing the Iditarod huskies run and visit a native village. Denali park is massive. Saw all the ‘Big five’ animals and enjoyed the Tundra tour. Mt.McKinley lodge and saw the Mountain! Kenai is the coziest lodge, right on the river. The Kenai Fjords trip is not to be missed. We didn’t have the food package but it wasn’t expensive to eat on our own.Favorite was Fanny G’s at Denali. Stop for lunch in Anchorage. Don’t miss Snowy City cafe. At Kenai the outdoor restaurant was lovely.

• Like 1

We returned from this tour August 13th. Enjoyed everything except lodge in Fairbanks.  We did this same tour years ago. The first three lodges were all beautiful and great to stay at.  We were not overjoyed with lodge food so we sought, local eateries.  While at Denali try pizza place across the street. Very good, atmosphere rustic and full of photo history.  Easy to walk to. As you approach stores, go almost to end to the left. I think it was called Prospectors.  There is only one such restaurant. We were told it is where the locals so. Another told where to go was "Humpy's" in Anchorage. Very 60's more important the fish was best we have had. Everyone was talking about the halibut.  Also a dinner/horse drawn wagon tour was well worth the costs. There is such a tour in  Kenai. Heard that one was just ok. We would do it again from Denali.  All included tours were very enjoyable and informative.   Some excitement on the train to Fairbanks.  First delayed as train was approaching depot a guy jumped off train. Opened emergency and jumped. Entire train ride, the meal and beauty was great journey. Leading to the disappointment of accommodation.  We have completed several Princess land tours and felt confident with any accommodations. We would rate this as at best a 2 star. Considering what we are charged per day that is not acceptable. Fairbanks is large so many lovely hotels available.

Sure you will enjoy your trip.

Joyce

9 hours ago, azgrandmax3 said:

We returned from this tour August 13th. Enjoyed everything except lodge in Fairbanks.  We did this same tour years ago. The first three lodges were all beautiful and great to stay at.  We were not overjoyed with lodge food so we sought, local eateries.  While at Denali try pizza place across the street. Very good, atmosphere rustic and full of photo history.  Easy to walk to. As you approach stores, go almost to end to the left. I think it was called Prospectors.  There is only one such restaurant. We were told it is where the locals so. Another told where to go was "Humpy's" in Anchorage. Very 60's more important the fish was best we have had. Everyone was talking about the halibut.  Also a dinner/horse drawn wagon tour was well worth the costs. There is such a tour in  Kenai. Heard that one was just ok. We would do it again from Denali.  All included tours were very enjoyable and informative.   Some excitement on the train to Fairbanks.  First delayed as train was approaching depot a guy jumped off train. Opened emergency and jumped. Entire train ride, the meal and beauty was great journey. Leading to the disappointment of accommodation.  We have completed several Princess land tours and felt confident with any accommodations. We would rate this as at best a 2 star. Considering what we are charged per day that is not acceptable. Fairbanks is large so many lovely hotels available.

Sure you will enjoy your trip.

Joyce

So happy to know Prospectors Pizza is still there. We did a similar cruisetour about 8 yrs ago ( this tour has different lodges except the Fairbanks and Denali). We loved Prospectors. I have read the food is not great at the lodges so looking for places outside the Princess facilities. I realize some places it may be our only choice. Were you able to spend anytime in Talkeetna or do they take you right to the lodge?  How long do you have in Anchorage ? I assume Humpys is within walking distance? A traveler also mentioned Snowy City Cafe.

How was the 7 hr bus ride ? We planned this trip 3 yrs ago ( postponed twice due to covid) and back then I looked at it as an " excursion". Now I feel it's a petrie dish on wheels. Thank you for taking the time to write.

Edited by jinpasco
Wrong wording

Next to the Fairbanks lodge is the Pike's Landing restaurant. However, we were there on Father's Day and it was packed with a long line outside. They were understaffed and slow, I gave up and returned to the room and my DH and DD stayed. 

We took the bus to Talkeetna from the lodge. It was a hot and dusty day, just walked around the town. The McKinley lodge to Kenai was long but we stopped in Anchorage for lunch on your own. We did the Snowy City Cafe. Delish!

We tested. before the land tour and were tested the day before boarding the ship. Majority of folks didn't wear masks on the bus.

8 hours ago, Cali Viajera said:

Next to the Fairbanks lodge is the Pike's Landing restaurant. However, we were there on Father's Day and it was packed with a long line outside. They were understaffed and slow, I gave up and returned to the room and my DH and DD stayed. 

We took the bus to Talkeetna from the lodge. It was a hot and dusty day, just walked around the town. The McKinley lodge to Kenai was long but we stopped in Anchorage for lunch on your own. We did the Snowy City Cafe. Delish!

We tested. before the land tour and were tested the day before boarding the ship. Majority of folks didn't wear masks on the bus.

Thank you. I do so fear that one test to stop your whole vacation. I don't mind wearing a mask of it means traveling again. Better than sitting on my couch not wearing one. I am just not sure it will help with all I have read. You made it through the testing...any secret as to why you tested negative ?  There is only so much distancing you can do at certain times.

We wore the Kn95 masks. Our DD wore a cloth one. She developed the dreaded sore throat first, then cough. We did a home test in Kenai and she was positive. The health clerk swabbed us but only the beginning of the nose, not way up the nostril. We were all negative according to that! My advice is wear the Kn95. We did on the busses and on the ship when walking around. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Cali Viajera said:

We wore the Kn95 masks. Our DD wore a cloth one. She developed the dreaded sore throat first, then cough. We did a home test in Kenai and she was positive. The health clerk swabbed us but only the beginning of the nose, not way up the nostril. We were all negative according to that! My advice is wear the Kn95. We did on the busses and on the ship when walking around. 

Glad I bought a box of kn 95 last year. And here I thought I may never need them. People can laugh at us all they want but I plan on wearing them as much as needed ,especially on land.  Also packed hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes. Might be overkill but we have a stockpile. You must have been in a panic waiting for those results !

Thank you so much.