Why do people still sunbathe?

OK, I know this might get me in trouble, but I'm going to ask anyway. With all the warnings about the evils of skin cancer, why do so many people still like to lie out in the sun? I know this isn't unique to cruises, but I figured that a lot of people that read this forum probably like to do this. When I or my family spend significant time in the sun, we always put on sunscreen. We never just go lay in the sun. I'm not trying to start an argument...I'm just trying to understand. Please be kind.:o

Hey- i am on this thread and i dont- i put on sunscreen on my face EVERY DAY of my life- several layers in fact and i dont even have skin cancer... scares me to death to see so many catching cancer-

but the problem is 2 fold-

1- the threat is not 100% ie not everyone who sun bathes gets skin cancer, and

2- the threat is too far in the future to be a motivator to stop a pleasurable behavior in the present...

and the 3rd biggest issue is the cultural icon of beauty as tanned and slim...

just a short lesson in human behavior:D

Lisa

Why do so many people smoke?

Why do so many people take drugs?

Why do so many people eat foods that are bad for them?

People are people and we all have our vices. Of all the vices to have, I think sunbathing is probably one of the least harmful.

Why do so many people smoke?

Why do so many people take drugs?

Why do so many people eat foods that are bad for them?

People are people and we all have our vices. Of all the vices to have, I think sunbathing is probably one of the least harmful.

But the difference I see is that smoking and taking drugs and maybe even eating bad foods are physical addictions. That's certainly not an excuse for doing them, but I think that separates them from sunbathing. And I agree with you that sunbathing is probably the least harmful.

Why do people smoke? They know its bad for you but people still do it. Why do people overeat? They know its bad for you but some people still do it, especially while cruising. Should we be yelling at Royal Caribbean for having all that food for people to overeat???

Why do people smoke? They know its bad for you but people still do it. Why do people overeat? They know its bad for you but some people still do it, especially while cruising. Should we be yelling at Royal Caribbean for having all that food for people to overeat???

I'm not yelling at anyone. I just asked a question. Why are so many people so sensitive about this?

I am of sicilian ancestry -I have NO moles on my skin, not a single one. According to a dermatologist I know as a friend, my risk of skin cancer is so low as to be close to the random level from just normal sun exposure - he'd never tell his patients that but the facts are facts.

there are times whe I do not use sunscreen - I do not burn at all. I have not gotten a sunburn since I was 8 when I was outside all day from 9a-6p at a beach with my grandfather - I remember the fight between my mom and my grandfather to this day!

I get real dark, real fast, and then fade just as fast . .

I know, I understand what you're saying. I didn't mean for it to sound like I was yelling at you. Unfortunately, some people are more concerned how they look, whether it is good or bad for you. Society has played a huge part in that mess! Sorry if it sounded like i was yelling at you. Didn't mean to.

I am of sicilian ancestry -I have NO moles on my skin, not a single one. According to a dermatologist I know as a friend, my risk of skin cancer is so low as to be close to the random level from just normal sun exposure - he'd never tell his patients that but the facts are facts.

there are times whe I do not use sunscreen - I do not burn at all. I have not gotten a sunburn since I was 8 when I was outside all day from 9a-6p at a beach with my grandfather - I remember the fight between my mom and my grandfather to this day!

I get real dark, real fast, and then fade just as fast . .

Thank you! This is the kind of answer I was looking for...just a simple reason why someone chooses to sunbathe.

OK, I know this might get me in trouble, but I'm going to ask anyway. With all the warnings about the evils of skin cancer, why do so many people still like to lie out in the sun? I know this isn't unique to cruises, but I figured that a lot of people that read this forum probably like to do this. When I or my family spend significant time in the sun, we always put on sunscreen. We never just go lay in the sun. I'm not trying to start an argument...I'm just trying to understand. Please be kind.:o

The sun is actually good for you. It's those that lather themselves up with baby oil and sit out there for hours on end that have a problem. ;) Actually, if you use a good sunscreen, there isn't any reason why one cannot enjoy the sun.

Yes, I sunbathe on the ship. And before I go on a cruise I go to a tanning salon (a dozen or more times) to get a base tan.

On the other hand, when I'm lying in the sun I'm wearing sunscreen, usually SPF 8 or so, except on my face, where I go with spf45 and a sunhat.

The tanning salon visits prior to the cruise mean that any little spots that get missed when applying sunscreen don't burn horribly.

Other than at cruise time, I am vigilant about wearing sunscreen on my face every day (or a moisture product w/ sunscreen in it). In the summer when I'm wearing shorts/skirts/short sleeves, I wear a body lotion that has SPF 15 every day, and put on "real", higher-spf sunscreen when I know I'm going to be out in the sun for a while.

Since I only cruise once per year, if I'm lucky, most of the time I'm protecting myself from the sun. I feel that the infrequent sun exposure when cruising isn't that big of a deal, but I also pay attention to my skin and look for any freckles/moles, etc. that look suspicious.

So, long story short, yes, you will see me sunbathing on the ship, and yes, I will be quite tan, but it's not a constant thing.

I think you're being a tad dramatic. The OP did not mention anything about royal caribbean.

1- the threat is not 100% ie not everyone who sun bathes gets skin cancer

You know, I think Lisa hit on a very important point here with this one.

Though a bit off topic, this relates:

My father died of smoking related heart disease at a very young (52) age. Someone once made a comment to me along the lines of it was not as much of a loss as it might have been since "he knew how bad smoking was and did it anyway".

This might have been more true if the results of smoking (or, back on topic, sunbathing) are 100%, but they're not. If it was an easy parallel -- you smoke, you die 20 years early or you sunbathe 50+ hours per year, you die 10 years early, then it might be easier for people to handle.

But for all the bad that my dad knew could come from smoking, he also knew plenty of people (my grandmother being one) who smoked just as much or more and lived to a ripe old age with relatively few health problems. Though misguided, I think my dad always felt at some level that hey, smoking is a risk, but its a risk plenty of people get away with, why not him.

People know too much sun exposure is a risk, but plenty of people get away with it, so if it makes them feel good (physically, just soaking up the sun or emotionally about how they look, etc.) and they enjoy it, they will go right ahead.

I for one am glad there are no guarantees in life, but that gray area does make for some tough choices!

There you go . . . my 2 cents worth!

I know, I understand what you're saying. I didn't mean for it to sound like I was yelling at you. Unfortunately, some people are more concerned how they look, whether it is good or bad for you. Society has played a huge part in that mess! Sorry if it sounded like i was yelling at you. Didn't mean to.

No problem! I totally agree with you. It's a shame that how people look is sometimes perceived to be more important than it should be.

Because tan fat looks better than white fat!

Don't I know it! I just started going to the tanning bed (just this morning as a matter of fact) for the first time in YEARS! I am getting ready for our vacation next month. I just want to get a little base tan before I head to Orlando and look like the whitest person there.

When I am on a cruise, I always wear 8 spf and I rarely just lay there and bake all day.

But like some other have said, what might be completly outrageous to you, might not be so risky to others. Now wearing cooking oil like we did when we were kids, THAT was just plain stupid. :eek:

I think there can be a physical addiction to being in the sun. It has been shown that people can get depressed during the winter. Personally, I love the feeling of being in the sun and feeling warm. Its' not always a matter of how I look (even though I think I look better tan). I don't lay out half as much as I used to, and know the implications, but I think the sunlight can also be very helpful.

Believe it or not the latest research shows we may be to diligent with sunscreen and not seeking enough sun. Rickets has been documented on the rise, people who do not get enough vitamins from the sun. The risk, for skin cancer, is serious, not just melanoma but also basal cell, slow growing skin cancer (not usually deadly, but can become melanoma) with that said, a serious bad burn, usually at a younger age is the main risk for melanoma. So as with some many things in life probably moderation and being smart with apply sunscreen is the best bet.

(family members with both types of skin cancer and also nurse)

It feels good to sit in the warm sunshine, happy people all around, on vacation.

It looks good to be a little sun-kissed (proper use of sunscreen essential, of course).

It's good for you (helps you generate vitamin D).

What do you care how others enjoy their vacations?

It feels good to sit in the warm sunshine, happy people all around, on vacation.

It looks good to be a little sun-kissed (proper use of sunscreen essential, of course).

It's good for you (helps you generate vitamin D).

What do you care how others enjoy their vacations?

OK, I was with you until the last statement. Why did you feel the need to ask this? Do you ask this to other posters when they ask things like "did you like the food?" or "how was that port?" or "why do people eat at Chops?" because they are also caring how others enjoyed their vacations.

Archived