Why do people still sunbathe?

Thank you, Alexis! Nice to hear it from a "veteran".

Anyone who tells posters to stick to just asking questions about "towels and towns" is not giving good, nor realist advice to people who might be new. New people would be afraid to ask anything.

Anything can, and should be asked on these boards as long as it is within the moderators guidelines and kept clean and orderly. To me, that is why I am still here reading it for so long. There is always something new.

If just one person reads this thread and decides to be just a little more careful while sunbathing, it served a good purpose.

I'm another in the red hair, freckles, burns easily crowd - yet I do sit in the sun on vacation - wearing SPF 30, reapplying every half hour or so, and taking regular breaks in the shade. Why, because the sun feels so good and I live in a cold climate.

I've been posting since June 2005...does that make me new? And I didn't criticize anything or anybody! Go back and ready my original post.

You totally missed my point. I was responding to your comment about being attacked. Anytime someone starts any thread which is even slightly controversial, they will be attacked. From the responses to your post, you can see that some people took your question as a criticsm of sunbathing. I was also having some fun at the expense of your attackers.

Please tell me you are kidding. :confused:

This board would be the most boring place in the world with nobody reading it. This question is mild compared to what has been posted and asked on here.

And, the OP never criticized RCCL in any way, shape or form. Just asked why?

Just my opinion, and I'm not new on here.

Obviously, I was being facetious and having a little fun at the expense of those who attack anyone who disagrees with them or RCCL.

Anyone who tells posters to stick to just asking questions about "towels and towns" is not giving good, nor realist advice to people who might be new. New people would be afraid to ask anything.

Anything can, and should be asked on these boards as long as it is within the moderators guidelines and kept clean and orderly. To me, that is why I am still here reading it for so long. There is always something new.

If just one person reads this thread and decides to be just a little more careful while sunbathing, it served a good purpose.

I find it totally unbelievable that anyone took my post at face value, but your responses prove my point. I have been flamed many times on these boards for unpopular opinions particulary anytime I criticize something the cruise line does. In this case, I was criticizing the flamers not the OP.

By the way, how many towels should I bring?

People sunbathe because it'll be years before they see the sun damage and how the sun exposure prematurely aged them.

If you want to see sun damage, dig up some young and current pictures of stars that spent a lot of time with glorious suntans, like Elizabeth Taylor, Farrah Fawcett, Ali MacGraw and Robert Redford.

Just like most things in life, we have taken the dangers of (insert vice here) and made it into something even worse.

Having NO exposure to sun is VERY dangerous. Having too much is also VERY dangerous. Vitamin D comes from the sun and we all need it. People kept from being in the sun develop depression.

Wear your sunblock, put sunblock on your kids and use your brain. If you are out for too long and you burn, you're not being sensible. You CAN lie out and enjoy the sun without damaging yourself...just use common sense.

We have gotten ourselves into such a black and white way of living, when somewhere in the grey area is what our bodies need and want. Too much sterility in our environments has caused us to not be able to deal with the tiniest of bacteria..it's basically the same thing.

Use your head, use your sunscreen, and get some sun.

To the OP - I must agree with everyone - when you live in a climate that is cold for a good part of the year, the sun's warmth feels glorious!:D

That being said, I WISH I could lie out in the sun.... my personality is one that after about 15 minutes (which feels like an hour to me!) I've gotta get up and get going somewhere! Places to go, people to meet etc. I usually get roasted @ least once a year (think any fair european race and they're all rolled up in me!) with or without sunscreen, but I do try to remember it. I actually use an 8SPF and don't burn that often. I think it's because using an 8 I remind myself to reapply more frequently. When using a 15 or higher I don't remember to reapply. It's that simple for me.:)

I don't get it either but not because of health reasons. I get bored laying in the sun all day. Just bored to death. My stepmother sunbaths and has had skin cancer three times. She still lies in the sun with oil on.

Why don't you know the answer to this? Haven't you EVER done anything bad for you? Why or why not? This question puts people that do it on the defensive.

I do it and I am not sensitive about it. Actually, I think it's quite amusing to read the posts from those that are "bothered" by this poster asking a simple question. :rolleyes:

I'm another in the red hair, freckles, burns easily crowd - yet I do sit in the sun on vacation - wearing SPF 30, reapplying every half hour or so, and taking regular breaks in the shade. Why, because the sun feels so good and I live in a cold climate.

I am also a natural redhead, tons of freckles, but luckily got my father's skin in the gene pool and tan just as easily as I burn. GRATEFUL for that!! :D

Obviously, I was being facetious and having a little fun at the expense of those who attack anyone who disagrees with them or RCCL.

If I had seen a smiley or two somewhere I would have realized that fact.

Gosh, I do not consider my post a flaming at all. Just a hope you were kidding because if not there would be no one left on here reading.

You wrote;

You are probably new to these boards. A good rule of thumb is to never criticize anything on these boards expecially anything having to do with RCCL on this board. Limit your posts to questions like "Should I bring towels with me?", or "Are you from Any City, USA, too?

My answer was;

Please tell me you are kidding.

This board would be the most boring place in the world with nobody reading it. This question is mild compared to what has been posted and asked on here.

And, the OP never criticized RCCL in any way, shape or form. Just asked why?

Just my opinion, and I'm not new on here.

If I had seen a smiley or two somewhere I would have realized that fact.

Gosh, I do not consider my post a flaming at all. Just a hope you were kidding because if not there would be no one left on here reading.

I did not consider your post a flame and yes I was just having some fun. T

I did not consider your post a flame and yes I was just having some fun. T

Sorry, :o

I was referring to this one you left for me.

See how posts can be read wrong without smileys? :D

You said, I find it totally unbelievable that anyone took my post at face value, but your responses prove my point. I have been flamed many times on these boards for unpopular opinions particulary anytime I criticize something the cruise line does. In this case, I was criticizing the flamers not the OP.

I find it totally unbelievable that anyone took my post at face value, but your responses prove my point. I have been flamed many times on these boards for unpopular opinions particulary anytime I criticize something the cruise line does. In this case, I was criticizing the flamers not the OP.

Giorgi-one - I totally took your post as you were kidding!!! And I took the original question kind of like trying to start controversry, but only because I just can't imagine my kids asking Hey mom, why do people sunbathe???? but thats me. I love to be in the sun at the beach, or hanging out at a pool, or playing volleyball at the beach, etc., I spoke with my doctor and she said always use face cream with spf 15 in it, year round. We always would lather up skiing in Vermont in the winter, because the sun is bright on the snow. For the kids they don't head out during the summer without lotion, whether just going out for the day playing, or boating. My daughter rides horses, same thing, she puts it on her face, its amazing the amount of horse people with faces that look like a leather purse!! Husband has sunblock in his work truck (hes in construction). just prepare yourself and take life one day at a time, I can't imagine not going out in the sun because of the what-ifs.

Yes' date=' I sunbathe on the ship. And before I go on a cruise I go to a tanning salon (a dozen or more times) to get a base tan.

On the other hand, when I'm lying in the sun I'm wearing sunscreen, usually SPF 8 or so, except on my face, where I go with spf45 and a sunhat.

The tanning salon visits prior to the cruise mean that any little spots that get missed when applying sunscreen don't burn horribly.

Other than at cruise time, I am vigilant about wearing sunscreen on my face every day (or a moisture product w/ sunscreen in it). In the summer when I'm wearing shorts/skirts/short sleeves, I wear a body lotion that has SPF 15 every day, and put on "real", higher-spf sunscreen when I know I'm going to be out in the sun for a while.

Since I only cruise once per year, if I'm lucky, most of the time I'm protecting myself from the sun. I feel that the infrequent sun exposure when cruising isn't that big of a deal, but I also pay attention to my skin and look for any freckles/moles, etc. that look suspicious.

So, long story short, yes, you will see me sunbathing on the ship, and yes, I will be quite tan, but it's not a constant thing.[/quote']

I am with the above poster, I tan at salons before a cruise or vacation to get a base tan and while I am on vacation I do use sunblock, but I have found that if I do this, my chances of burning are next to none and I am able to be outdoors, enjoy myself and have fun.

Just a little input of mine.

There are no dumb questions. This site is for our entertainment. If someone wants to know why people like to sunbathe nude while smoking, drinking and eating fattening foods then this is the place to ask that question. It is healthy for us to engage in conversations and vent occassionally.

I grew up in Arizona. Hot and sunny all the time. I never wore a shirt or sunscreen. Thank God I have never had skin cancer.

I am now older and much wiser, but my wife still has to remind me to apply sunscreen. I love to drink my beer and wine but know to do it in moderation. I love the sun and the warm feeling on my skin, but moderation is key here also.

I say, Live life to the fullest, Do what you love, but be smart.

cruise on....

;)

Just a little input of mine.

There are no dumb questions. This site is for our entertainment. If someone wants to know why people like to sunbathe nude while smoking, drinking and eating fattening foods then this is the place to ask that question. It is healthy for us to engage in conversations and vent occassionally.

Well said. ;) Keeps the place interesting. :D

I am with the above poster, I tan at salons before a cruise or vacation to get a base tan and while I am on vacation I do use sunblock, but I have found that if I do this, my chances of burning are next to none and I am able to be outdoors, enjoy myself and have fun.

But isn't a tan also harmful to the skin?

Maybe we should start a new thread..."why do people ask silly questions that they obviously know the answer to" :)

or..."why don't those white, fat people get some sun!"

I really want to know!! :)

Actually I only knew some of the answers I've seen here. Some answers that I've seen here that I never thought about before:

"I do it because I live in a cold climate, so I really enjoy the time I can spend laying in the sun on a cruise." (I have lived most of my life in New Orleans and Orlando, so I was usually trying to escape the sun!;) )

"I enjoy the way it feels, and I use sunscreen to protect myself." (Again, living in hot climates, I didn't realize that people did it for how it feels. I thought they did it because of how it made them look. I knew some people put on oils, but I never thought that people would put on strong sunscreen and sunbathe. I guess I just figured "what's the point?")

Back to the original question. I also love to sunbathe, but I realize that it can be dangerous. I use SPF 30 or 45 sunblock. My understading is that sunblock does not guarantee safety. I think the problem is the destruction of the ozone layer which used to protect us from "bad" sun rays. People with very light skin who burn easily are really rolling the dice. I am particularly upset when I see peopel with infants and small children in the sun, particularly the tropical sun on a cruise.

Archived